Puppy Loves to Eat Rocks

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cyberfunk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy Loves to Eat Rocks

Post by cyberfunk »

Hi Guys,

My wife and I have just introduced a lovely chow chow puppy into our house hold named "Tito".

Tito has been an absolute dream so far and is only 8 weeks old, however he seems to love to eat rocks which is quite disturbing. As soon as we take him into the back yard, he just goes straight for the garden and starts chomping down on rocks and bark chips and no amount of saying "no", distracting him with toys and moving him away from the area seems to help, he just runs straight through our legs and it starts all over again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? We are concerned he will end up in surgery or worse, but at the same time don't want to lose our trust with allowing him to roam the backyard whilst supervised.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Puppy Loves to Eat Rocks

Post by Cindy J »

A couple of my puppies acted the same way. It got to the point that they were only allowed outside on a leash so that I could keep a close eye on them. I went to this extreme because my neighbor's puppy died from blockage from eating rocks.

They did outgrow this stage of checking out everything with their mouths.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
cyberfunk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Puppy Loves to Eat Rocks

Post by cyberfunk »

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly, we will definitely give this a go. We want to start taking him to puppy school soon too, so probably a great opportunity to introduce him to the leash whilst walking around the back yard.

Thanks again,

Cyber