potty training and work :/

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

visho911
Rank 0
Rank 0

potty training and work :/

Post by visho911 »

So i got chiral like 2 weeks ago, she's 2 months and 2 weeks now, anws i'm wondering if there is any way to train her to eliminate in a specific way in a short period because i do go to work so i literally leave her like 6 hours..i always come back home and find the house so messy. i read few articles, few said to keep her in a crate (i cant do so its too long:/) and others said to leave her in a small area in the house, so i leave her usually in my bedroom..
Ps: the vet did not allow her to go outside before she gets all her vaccines!
ANY SUGGESTIONS ?!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: potty training and work :/

Post by Laura »

I left mine in the master bathroom while potty training when I had to work. It is tile so no damage and easy clean up. It is a bigger area but not too big like a bedroom. Neither of mine ever had an accident in there even when left 5-6 hours at a time from age 9 weeks and up. They chose not to soil their area. As far as general potty training I don't understand vets who say they can't go outside your door to do their business. Are you suppose to first teach them it's ok to potty in the house and then on some specific day start over and try and tell them it suddenly isn't ok? I took mine out in the back yard literally every hour in the beginning and gradually extended that. I praised them when they potted outside and when I caught them in the act of having accidents in the house I made a negative noise which I can't spell (lol) and immediately scooped them up and outside. I kept doors closed and areas blocked off so they were always with me and it was harder to wander off and potty. My dining room was their bathroom of choice if I turned my back! At night they slept in the bedroom with us and never had accidents in there either. I am fortunate that I am a night owl and my hubby gets up at 515 every day so I could take them out late when I went to bed and he would take them out first thing in the morning so even at night they didn't go more than 5 hours w/ out a break. Both were fully potty trained by 13-14 wks. There were times that I thought they would pee in the dining room for the rest of my life but with patience, a clear consistent message that the bathroom is outside not inside, and some luck it eventually clicks.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

So, here's my thought on the vet advice about not letting them out before the vaccine series is complete...

Think about what they are vaccinating against...

Distemper….. an airborne viral disease of the lungs, intestines and brain
Hepatitis….. a viral disease of the liver
Leptospirosis… a bacterial disease of the urinary tract
Parainfluenza… infectious bronchitis
Parvovirus….. a viral disease of the intestines
Rabies….. a viral disease fatal to humans and other animals
Corona….. a viral disease of the intestines
Bordatella… a bacterial infection of the upper respiratory system (kennel
cough)

None of these items are going to be a common risk as you walk to dog in your yard. Certainly, you want to avoid an area filled with animal waste. Yes, you want to avoid contact with wild animals, or other dogs that may not be properly vaccinated.

As long as your pup has had the initial shots, they should be fine on a supervised (on lead) trip to the great outdoors. Dog parks and the deep woods are not a good idea, but a solo trip to the greenery of the backyard should not be an issue.

Extreme cold or heat would be a bigger issue than any risk of contracting any of the items being vaccinated against.

Depending where you live, the above list doesnt include LIME vaccinations, so i would keep them out of tall grass and other areas common to tics.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

visho911 wrote:Ps: the vet did not allow her to go outside before she gets all her vaccines!
Rory's Dad wrote:Certainly, you want to avoid an area filled with animal waste. Yes, you want to avoid contact with wild animals, or other dogs that may not be properly vaccinated...As long as your pup has had the initial shots, they should be fine on a supervised (on lead) trip to the great outdoors. Dog parks and the deep woods are not a good idea, but a solo trip to the greenery of the backyard should not be an issue.
I agree. It seems like there is often a miscommunication between vet and new puppy owner. The puppy can go outdoors, just not out in public areas where unvaccinated dogs would commonly have pooped or urinated. I took my pup (before vaccinations complete) to several homes/backyards that I knew to be "safe". But I did not take him for even a walk around my block since I'm fairly certain unvaccinated dogs have done their business there in the past few years.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
visho911
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by visho911 »

i can't take him outside because actually i dont own a yard, i live in a apartment... and thank u for ur advices.
tomorow she's having her vaccine so hopping i can go with her for walks..
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Our vet explained that he was much more concerned about the dangers of missing an important time in their early life to socialize than he was afraid of the puppy catching a disease. Although we exercised basic cautions, our pup was out and about with us from day one.

Like others have mentioned, we avoided dog parks and treks through the woods....But the pup went with us numerous places; Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, my office, etc. I was just careful to not let him step in or sniff other animal droppings. He was outside romping in our yard, rolling in the grass, long before he finished his shots.

Unless there is a Parvo outbreak in your area, I cannot imaging your vet being that extreme.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
visho911
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by visho911 »

the cause is that my baby chiral is sneezing and on antibiotics...and he advised not to give her her next shot before she recovers...this is the second time i give her antibiotics and it started to feel uncomfortable!
davay521
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by davay521 »

I just bought a chow font have him yet he will be coming home may 11th. since i do work about 10 hours a day (every other day)and im not there i bought a play pen that fits my living room he will have his food bed and toys to keep him busy and wee wee pads the breeder told me he is partialy potty trained but i am expecting some accidents. Also i work 10 mins away so i will go home in the middle of the day to make sure he is doing ok, I will also have help from my mom and girlfriend so thats my plan
visho911
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by visho911 »

nice Davay521, and congrats for your chow, you will rly love him... i started taking her out, but still not on a fixed schedule so we are having a lot of accidents... she wasn't potty trained at all!