My chow's behaviour / training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

XploZiV
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow's behaviour / training

Post by XploZiV »

My Chow's 4 months old now, and he's actually a very good dog. He didn't receive any training yet, but will soon (this week).
But even without any training I find him very gentle and not aggressive at all. When out for walks, he even lets strangers come near.

He does tend to stop listening to mes when there's too much going on around him, but that's where I hope training will kick in :) The biggest issue is that I own 3 cats and
he chases them as soon as they try to enter the living room. I feel a bit sad for them as they stay upstairs now. So I hope he will stop chasing them at some point.

Does anyone here have a Chow who does get along with cats? Did you do something special or did they just got along after a while?

This is my Chow : Image This is 1 of my cats : Image

Thank you! :)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My chow's behaviour / training

Post by Pinoy51 »

Please search for "chow and cats" in this forum.
A lot has been said already about it in quite some blogs.
It seems to be Chow dependent if a relationship between Cat and Chow can be established.
I wasn't able to achieve that with my Chows and our Persian Cat. We needed to divide the house in a cat and dog part. Occasional they meet each other but it never got anywhere close to a community.
But two of our rescue dogs live with two stray cats without any problem.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: My chow's behaviour / training

Post by Ursa's daddy »

A young chow should learn to get along with cats. You need to stop your dog from chasing the cats by telling him "no" and diverting his attention to something else. My chows do well with the cats, but they were raised with the cats. I have a foster chow mix, and I have been unable to get him not to chase the cats. Generally, puppies quickly learn that if they are not allowed to chase cats, there is little point in chasing them. They also will learn that cats have sharp claws and it is best not to mess with cats. I have found that it is best to stop the chasing as soon as possible. That rapidly escalates to the point where the puppy alerts on the cat and the cat runs, then the dog thinks it is a game and starts to run. You don't want this to happen.