Extremely hyper chow

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Extremely hyper chow

Post by kuma_chan »

Im having a bit of a problem with my almost 4 month old puppy. He's normally calm and laid back and would just lay on the floor and sleep or chase his fur or anything that flies. But he gets this sudden burst of energy where he gets really excited and jumps or run around like a maniac. #-o About 2 weeks ago he accidentally bit my cousin when he tried to play with his slipper. Unfortunately my cousin was wearing it so his big toe got nipped. Then last week he suddenly went crey again when i was with him and grazed my leg. It was play biting and didn't bleed but i decided to get my anti-rabies shots just to be sure. Then tonight he again accidentally grazed my mom's leg when he jumped on her. She was having dinner and my puppy was asking to be fed altho he's already eaten. :cry: He's actually a pretty good dog- potty trained, knows how to 'sit' 'come' and some degree 'stay' and 'lie down', good during walks and pretty good with people and other dogs. The biting and the sudden craziness are the only issues. Any advice on how to curb these?
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Extremely hyper chow

Post by DrewBear »

The first thing to try would be to provide more exercise than he's already getting. Chows, like all dogs, have varying degrees of activity needs. My first Chow was not nearly as active as my current pup. I suspect those needs will change as the pup grows up.

It took me a few days to figure out that my pup gets a bit crazed when he's hungry. That may not be happening in your situation, but maybe look for something in that vein happening. Is he expecting a certain treat or other routine? Mine sometimes gets a bit nippy when he's tired and needs to sleep. In that situation I give him a firm "No!" and he quickly settles down, but it took a bit of training to get him to that point.

All that said, sometimes puppies just go nuts and get the zoomies, which can happen after meals. Hyperactivity is a normal part of puppyhood. Maybe try to think of games that lets your pup chew on something other than arms & legs? Mine loves to chase a chew toy tied to the end of a rope/string. Tug with a big towel also works, though I do need to take care to keep my hands from his mouth. Take him out so he can run around to release energy? A search for bite inhibition training techniques will probably yield many other suggestions.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Sounds like classic zoomies to me, do a search on the site for zoomies and you will see lots of posts (and video links) about them. Cocoa did zoomies all the time as a puppy and still does them occasionally, most often when we come in from a rainy day. As far as the nipping part he is still very young and is probably seeing everything and everyone as a potential toy to grab on his way by. Just work with him on his bite inhibition and the nipping should stop.
kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kuma_chan »

Thank you for answering. It was actually the first time i heard of zoomies. It's actually cute until he accidentally nips someone. Last night he did again with my cousin. :roll: I think it happens everytime we all get home from work. I dunno if it excites him or what. My cousin already took him out for a run before it happened. I really need to figure out what to do with him. He's a pretty good dog apart from this issue. It's dangerous and expensive when someone gets bitten even if it's accidental. :cry: sometimes im wondering if needs another dog/puppy as a playmate.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

If you get more Chows you get more Zoomies :) .
I have three, the only advantage, they get at each other most of the time when it is "Crazy time", but there is no guarantee.
If I decide to interact with them in those phases, a small scratch or a little puncture is unavoidable.
Just get a command, which makes him aware when it is too much, so he doesn't get out of control.
In my case I have to avoid Simba when he has it zoomies, he is always stopping to late :) . Meaning he first runs and bumps into me, and then he presses down a bit too hard when he wants to catch my hand.
So I only join his game when he starts to get tired, then the energy level is just right.
Best regards
Pinoy51
kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kuma_chan »

yeah and i dont think i can handle another chow right now. but i do want a maltese or bichon frise puppy. :P
he hasn't had zoomies recently probably cause he gets his usual late walks and he's already quite tired in the evening. we'll see tonight since he just had his shots yesterday and wont be able to go out for a few days (we'll give him his frontline treatment tomorrow as well)