Cant train to leash walk my dog.

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

denschow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cant train to leash walk my dog.

Post by denschow »

Hey guys. Please help, any suggestion to me how to train my dog to walkwm witha leash? I'm going to be frustrated now. I want him to go with me and to walk. But i cant train him. He's just 4 months. :(
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Cant train to leash walk my dog.

Post by DrewBear »

I plan to introduce my 11 week old puppy to his leash this week. I should have done it sooner. Below are some links I saved with various tips on how to train walking on a loose lead. (I can only enter 3 links per post. You can find many more.) If you do not have a clicker, you can use an encouraging "Yes!" instead. Start with very short training sessions. I'm planning on 1-2 min. per session a few times each day when he is hungry and will be most responsive to treats. Don't expect this to progress quickly. Be patient.

http://youtu.be/NT8VDgR_Koo
http://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858
http://youtu.be/jBN2_YuTclU
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
vanyok
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vanyok »

@ 4 months don't forgot that he's just a puppy still so please don't expect from him to behave as an adult dog though it's important to start training already ofcourse.

First question that comes to mind though.. often do you actually walk him ? If the puppy has too much energy he needs to get rid of first I doubt he'll listen.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe was stubborn with the leash when we first started at 8-9 wks of age. She would plant her little bottom on the ground and refuse to move. Coaxing/treats would get a step or two and then she would sit. I took her to Petsmart as part of socializing and getting out and about, put her down with her leash on and the curiosity got the best of her and she started walking around. Never had a leash issue after that. Maybe your baby needs some incentive as well.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Constantina »

Whenever we would take her out of the house even just for vet shots we always put her on a leash. We did this as early as 2.5 months old. Even if we carried her to the docs office or to visit my mom's house she was always on the collar & leash. She associated the leash with car rides and going out so she wags her tail every time she sees it. The moment her shots we're complete at 4 months we took her for her first ten minute walk up and down our street. She loved walking with the leash so there was never a problem. Now at nine months old Chestnut does her happy dance when we take out the leash and is on her best behavior as we cut the walk short when she throws a tantrum.
chowking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowking »

Try to leave the leash on her even when she's in the house (be sure to supervise to avoid her getting caught up in any objects). She will try to nip at the leash so you may need to distract her by using play or treats until she becomes familiar with it. Now start leading using the leash taking her to different parts of the house or you can use your front yard as well. Try to be enthusiastic when doing this as much as possible and make it an enjoyable experience for her. Most chows are not food motivated so your attitude when doing this will dictate her progress. Once she is able to focus her attention on you (most of the time) inside the house you can try a more challenging environment like the park or around your neighborhood given that it's not a rural area to avoid any unwanted distractions. Whatever method you choose to use patience and consistency is the key. Best of luck with your leash training. Cheerios!
Goose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goose »

Patience my friend patience!

Some Chows will be happy on a lead others not so much. They can be very stubborn and it looks like it becomes a drag race to get them moving.

4 months is still a baby. Take your time and it will happen!

Regards

Christian