Skittish 11 week old

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tjlewis521
Rank 0
Rank 0

Skittish 11 week old

Post by Tjlewis521 »

Help! I just got my 11 week old chow and she won't eat, she hides in her cage and runs behind anything to get away from us, every time we let her out. If we want to interact to her we basically have to drag her out of the crate. Yesterday, we took her outside to potty and when it was time to come I my boyfriend had to chase her, when he caught her, she bite him.. She is not bonding with us. I don't know what to do!!! Any advice, she has no real affinity towards me. I put a tshirt with my sent on it in her cage, she didn't even glance at it. :cry:
pjstay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Skittish 11 week old

Post by pjstay »

Walk her on a leash socialize her car rides drive thrues I got a front infant darker like a back pack but a front pack and took him every where and I mean every where. Starbucks doggie lattes work where. Even in groceries stores. Who was you're breaded what do they recomend ? Puppy class at local doggy day care
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

I was hoping someone more experienced would tackle this, but I'll share my instinctive thoughts when I first read your post. No criticism intended, just thoughts to hopefully give you ideas on how to approach the problems.
Tjlewis521 wrote:Help! I just got my 11 week old chow and she won't eat, she hides in her cage and runs behind anything to get away from us, every time we let her out.
I'm afraid this hints that her first 10 weeks of life were not good. It's not normal for a pup to be afraid of people (hiding, running away) and not want to eat.
Yesterday, we took her outside to potty and when it was time to come I my boyfriend had to chase her, when he caught her, she bite him..
Use a harness and leash? (not sure about this since she may fight the leash) You need to figure out a way to confine her to a small potty area, so chasing is not required. It will take patience, but you want to find a way to get her to come to you. Some really tasty treats? But don't grab her right away when she comes to you at first. Build trust.
She is not bonding with us. I don't know what to do!!! Any advice, she has no real affinity towards me.
A bond must be created. It's not automatic and instantaneous. But first impressions are tough for a Chow pup to forget, so be very gentle. Just as an example, I unwisely tried to grab my 9 week old pup to bring him into my parents' home. He got away and became very wary of that entry door. It took a few more days of seeing me enter & leave the house before some gentle coaxing allowed him to enter of his own choice. Now he's happy to enter the home.

Your pup seems to have come into your life with some existing issues. It will take time and patience to build a bond with her. Please don't allow your frustration and disappointment to flow from you to her. Try to exude love, gentleness, patience and acceptance. She's still a baby and shouldn't be taken to task for (sorry to say this) any earlier abuse by the breeder. Just one opinion. Again, hopefully the many more experienced Chow owners here will have more suggestions or insight.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

At 11 weeks old she is going to be shy. She hasnt had any experiences to build her confidence yet.

Since it appears you are crate training take a look at how you are utilizing the crate...1st off if you are going to crate train (and i am an advocate) you MUST do it correctly. The crate needs to be a safe zone, call it her house. She needs to feel safe and secure. You CANNOT reach in and pull her out on your whim. Try leaving the door open so that she can come and go as she pleases. Only close her in when it is if for her safety or to prevent accidents. When you arrive back home, let her out to go outside to get her 'business' done. If she is reluctant to exit the crate, go to the door with a treat and bait her. Don't reach in and drag her out, that defeats the purpose of crate training. Do not allow anyone else to invade her space either.

It sounds like you have a timid pup. She will need to learn to explore and develop confidence on her own. You should offer support and encouragement, but at her pace. Otherwise you risk furthering her insecurity. Let her roam to some degree. Utilize the crate for potty training, not punishment, and not to exclude her. Encourage her outside the crate. Give her reward treats and socialize her. She will need to meet other dogs and persons outside the family to build confidence.

The crate should be a containment vessel to limit mistakes and the occasional social situation she is not ready for. It should not be her normal space.