Zed's training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kamelia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Zed's training

Post by kamelia »

I was going to learn Zed, my little chow chow some things but i dont really have a big space where to practice so I need some tips about this. Thank you
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Zed's training

Post by Rory's Dad »

I wouldn't really worry about space until you get to recall or something similar.

Most basic skills are actually better learned in a close space. First tip is to learn to get your dogs attention. That will be more difficult in larger spaces, so get him to learn it now. My recommendation is to use treat based training. Find a food based treat that he really likes and use that to get his attention. Once he knows his name, use the treat to get his eyes to meet yours when his name is called. Call his name and move the treat from his nose to yours, and wait for the eye contact. Give him the reward, repeat until he gets it. When his name is called he is to find your eyes...and await additional command.

Now move to the basics. Once he responds appropriately with the eye contact and attention, command him to sit. He will be right at your front at this point. If he needs help, move the treat up and over his nose and head. Practice until he sits properly and only give him the reward when he gets it right...no reward for effort, only for doing it properly.

Down...and this is for lie down (not off). From seated position to start because it's easier, command him to lie down. Drag the treat from his nose to the floor and out to the front of him in an "L" pattern.

Practice both the verbal and hand commands. He will most likely learn hand before vocal.

Beyond that you can work with leash walking, and the principal is the same. Position the treat where you want him when you walk. Right in front of his nose. Stop every few steps to start, have him sit, reward, continue. Extend the distances between stops as he gets it.

Add 'tricks' as he gets each basic item. Paw or high five, speak etc. All are based on reward for success, not for trying. Roll over or belly can be tough with a chow, it all depends on the dog.
Elderas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Zed's training

Post by Elderas »

You will need to be consistent with the dog's obedience regimen that you begin with.Also don't try or force him to like someone, because it's important that they have to choose. For a better training try to always take the role of the "pack" lider in order to gain respect.
Also what I have learned was from here http://chowchow.co.uk/chow-chow-training/ and was very good for my dog and me aswell.