I Can't Have Visitors - Help!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cairo
Rank 0
Rank 0

I Can't Have Visitors - Help!

Post by Cairo »

My lovable Chow Chow is 2 years old. When he was a puppy we took him to obedience class but we were not consistent with his training afterward. He will obey simple commands. Also it is just me and my husband in a very quiet house. We don’t have people over often. When we are in public he is generally fine as long as people don’t try to pet him without permission. He loves other dogs and loves to go to the dog park. But it is a completely other story when visitors do come by the house. He barks nonstop if he is crated. When we have him on a leash he will be quiet. But off leash he is unpredictable. He has growled and nipped at visiting family members for no apparent reason. I recently bought a remote spray training collar but I haven’t used it yet. I’m thinking about only using the positive and negative tones. Does anybody have any advice. I will have an overnight guest soon.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: I Can't Have Visitors - Help!

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes. Get him used to as many people as possible ASAP. He is guarding his home, which is normal, but he needs to be taught that when you accept visitors, he is to accept them as well. Negative training will not work here, and that includes crating or separation. That is only going to lead to frustration on his part, as he thinks he cant do his job.

This is not something that will be solved overnight. Start with your most frequent visitors or someone he is reasonably comfortable with. Have him on collar and short leash as they enter the doorway. He will likely bark, growl, all of the above. Tell him, in a confident manner, "JOE IS OK"...."CALM". Substitute names and assurance word as you see fit. Provide "Joe" with a small, pea sized treat or two. Have a couple in your hand yourself and have the dog sit or lie down. Reward the dog when he relaxes a bit...then have "Joe" do the same. They will then (hopefully) become properly aquainted, maybe even friends. You can remove the collar and lead when they are comfortable with each other.

This is socialization in the Chows mind. Repeat as needed and expand his social circle. Outside the home repeat similar excercise, but he will not be as protective or focused. This is good as well, as he learns different situation requite similar responses.

I have abbreviated the process, but you should see the pattern.