Help with potty training.

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

danielle7770
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with potty training.

Post by danielle7770 »

Hello, we have had Oscar for 3 weeks now. He is now 11 weeks old. Oscar is very good when we are out he will very rarely go to the toilet inside. The problem is when we are at home. I let him out regularly to go to the toilet, but he still goes inside a lot! This morning he had went inside 4 times already. I've tried the puppy training pads but he just eats them. He will only pee inside and has only pooped a few times inside. Is there any advice anyone could give me. I would like to get him out of this habit as his pees are just getting bigger haha!
Thanks in advance
Danielle :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help with potty training.

Post by Rory's Dad »

I would be willing to bet that all the 'accidents' are in the same spot. Likely the same spot that his puppy pads were placed when he was very young.

If so, he has associated that spot with his 'place'. Try eliminating him from accessing the spot. At 11 weeks he is still building his ability to hold it, but if he has a spot that he sees as OK, then he will make no effort to wait until outside.

When he does go outside, you must reward him. Verbal praise 'good boy going potty outside', or a small treat let him know he is doing well. Nothing negative inside (no nose slap or nose rubbing) when he doesnt hold, but a firm NO works well, particularly if you can interrupt and get him outside before the error.

Make sure that any accidents inside are COMPLETELY cleaned. Anything on a carpet is likely never to be scent free.
danielle7770
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by danielle7770 »

We are trying with the verbal praise and seems to be working alot better. think i will have to get a steam cleaner for the carpets, just to try to loose the scent.
Thanks for the advice. Will post some pictures of Oscar soon so you all can see. He is getting so big :)
lweiher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lweiher »

I have a 10 month old chow Lily, and what I figured out with her when she was little is that the indication to go out is so subtle, you really have to pay attention to them....she had a few accidents in the house mostly by the back door where she knew to go out and pee...she has since learned to click on the glass with her paw or she will come and give one of us the "look" or sometimes whine...we have not had an accident in about three months and I am proud to say she has never had a poo accident in the house...I probably just jinxed myself! I agree with everything Rory's Dad said...and paying close attention to Oscar's signals will help...they can pee every 15 minutes. He'll be fine, just don't forget he is a puppy...serious scolding only turns them off. I saw the pictures on the other thread and he is adorable!! Just remember puppy's are full of energy and have to pee every time they play. Hope this helps you know you are not alone! You will have many great years with this sweet looking guy!
lweiher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lweiher »

I see I forgot to say that we got Lily when she was 9 weeks old and didn't have that many accidents and I blame us for them, not her.
danielle7770
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by danielle7770 »

I have been keeping an eye out for his signals. I think one of them may be sniffing. He does this when he either needs the toilet or when he is finding somewhere to lye down. So I take him out every time. He is responding well to this, and mabye when he is older he may show us more signals. Thank you. I love him so much. He is getting his jag tomorrow so can't wait to start walking him. Many thanks for the great advice :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

The beauty in it all is that he gets older, he wont need to signal. He will be able to wait until he is let out. Our males has always hated the rain, our female could care less. But if its raining, all 3 of my males could wait out the rain...and i mean days.
danielle7770
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by danielle7770 »

He is holding really well now. During the night he doesn't go out once which is great. I just get up early with him in the morning. So I think he's learning. Fingers crossed :)