Chow aggressive with other same *Censored Word* dogs, how to fix.

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

pookeye
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow aggressive with other same *Censored Word* dogs, how to fix.

Post by pookeye »

Hello,

So I did most of my research before getting a chow, my chow "Bear" is a great dog, as expected, they are easily trainable when their a pup, and as long as you are consistent with your training, he does everything I train him to do at home, but when we are out at the park or outside, he doesnt seem to listen as well... Id imagine distraction, his aloofness and his decision to not satisfy me when he is running around happy..

now here is where I am having issues on how to train him,

1.) we brought him to puppy classes when he was young, and he was socialized, now he is 1 year old and is starting to get aggressive to other male dogs. (he is a male) its not all male dogs, but he generally gets mean with male dogs... its just strange its not all male dogs, its only some of them.

how do you train him to not be that way around other male dogs, he is like that with this small male dog, in fact he bit him a little too, which is disturbing. he is perfectly fine with female dogs, which is interesting, but is expected from many chow websites that I have read.

I read that you cannot have him off leash with other dogs around, is this true? he seems fine with other female dogs, but i have to be on guard with other male dogs around, has anyone else had this issue?
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow aggressive with other same *Censored Word* dogs, ho

Post by Sarahloo »

Is he neutered?
pookeye
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow aggressive with other same *Censored Word* dogs, ho

Post by pookeye »

No he is not neutered yet, we plan on neutering him, but he doesnt seem to be misbehaving enough for me to want to get him neutered so early.. I dont know that was a personal decision, I figured we plan on neutering him sooner or later, so long as he doesnt misbehave...

but since he is not neutered, that type of reaction is to be expected?

Sarahloo wrote:Is he neutered?