so afraid of peope.. help

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

emir13
Rank 0
Rank 0

so afraid of peope.. help

Post by emir13 »

guys help. i ave chow named Po. i have read that socialization is very important and should be started while the chow is still a puppy. Po is already two years old now and i found out that when we are outside our house he is so afraid of people. im always aving visitors at home and he seems fine with that. but last week i walked with him outside our village. he's head was to low. almost touching the ground. he was avoiding people even he's on a leash. hes so uneasy. when other dogs bark at him he'll stop walking or he'll pull me.

any ideas to help my dog
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: so afraid of peope.. help

Post by Cam Atis »

It is in your upbringing why he is people-shy. At two years old, you'd have to be patient to make him sociable. Buy a long retractable leash 5meters. or make your own. If you do walks daily Po will get used to it (walking and seeing dogs). But the more difficult thing to train is his reaction to other people or children who would actually touch him when they see him outside on leash with you. Make it a point to warn those kids and be responsible. Hold unto his collar and speak to Po in a soothing voice whenever you allow people or kids to pet him. No hugs.
Cassie is like that before. Now she is 18months old and I dont worry about people because she is used to seeing them. I dont walk her out as often as before when I was desensitizing her for people and kids. because I dont want her to be too friendly to stranger. I want her to be always on guard and maintain that aloofness to strangers. She is right now very relax and not high strung when meeting people. Unlike BLUE who is true to his mini pinscher/toyfox terrier bloodline. He would try to actually herd the stranger out of the property. But being small he is not much of a threat
emir13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: so afraid of peope.. help

Post by emir13 »

thanks i'll try that. im quite afraid that he will snap them. anyways i'll try my best. thanks