Random questions....

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Random questions....

Post by trry »

Hello all,
My chow is now ~1.5 years old. He has been very easy to deal just random freak out occurrences but nothing frequent.

Random freak out incident recently: I let him go in the yard to poop/pee and I usually tie his leash with him so I can catch him and bring him in since it was ~11PM so he likes to play tag so I ran and grab the leash and was able to walk him back inside. However, this time he was freaking out and nip me in my behind it wasn't anything harsh but above a nip and below a bite. I didn't see any small animals out there since he freaks out about that too. Is it b/c he wanted to stay outside?

Another thing I questioned, my chow does not have a place he calls his own excluding the backyard. I tried getting him a bed but he does not like it. He sleeps anywhere he wants. Most of the time he sleeps in my room besides my bed. Is that really frown upon because occasionally when he sleeps and someone comes in tries to pet him he stands up and barks. This is very rare and only happens when he seems very tired and doesn't want to be bothered.

This little guy has been with us over a year now and everytime I try to take him back from our walks he would drag his paws and resist at the driveway. I thought this habit will break with time since its not like its his last walk any idea in how to break this habit. As he is getting heavy its a lot of weight to pick him up now.

Besides this, very well behaved chow people actually come up to me and comment on how well behaved he is.... He was self potty trained at 4months!.

Well any feedback will be great...

Thanks!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Random questions....

Post by Merlin »

Your dog biting you is a clear sign of who you are to him.

At 1.5 years old this dog should have been educated by now to have a valuable recall, so that you don't have to leave a lead on him to bring him in.
You also have no business picking this dog up to move him from one place to another.
Another thing I questioned, my chow does not have a place he calls his own excluding the backyard. I tried getting him a bed but he does not like it. He sleeps anywhere he wants. Most of the time he sleeps in my room besides my bed. Is that really frown upon because occasionally when he sleeps and someone comes in tries to pet him he stands up and barks.
Chows don't normally seek out dog beds because they walk with a very thick coat that is probably enough padding for them to lay on. As far as him jumping up and barking.... this is poor judgement on your part. If a dog is sleeping, leave it alone. If you need to engage the dog, or move it somewhere else, wake it up by calling it, not touching it. Once it is up and awake, THEN you can engage in petting it. When a dog shoots up and barks at you, is a dog that is reprimanding you. It is a clear sign that you did something to piss it off. Please try to respect your dog more.

It is so much easier to train a young puppy, than to train an older dog who has developed unwanted behaviour. A truly missed opportunity.

Please educate this dog. And don't say that he is, because if you have to leave a lead on him to get him in , and if he's starting to bite you, he needs an education. and by the way... biting is like a toothache.. if you don't fix it.. it gets worse.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Random questions....

Post by trry »

thanks!