Chow keeps biting

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

akithelionchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow keeps biting

Post by akithelionchow »

Hello

My 3mo. old Chow is biting everything it sees, including his leash, brush, glove, and some hands. Vet says that it's completely normal at his age to do a lot of biting because of his teething. He alreayd has a teether and a ball to chew on, but he likes to nibble...

He doesn't really bite aggressively but he just clamps on and releases.

Questions are:

- when will it stop?
- what do I do when he bites something like an arm? We tried pinching his nape or do a pseudo-bite inhibition but he doesn't really get bothered by it.
-
Lord Aragorn "Aki" of Berserker - 3mos. old (12/28/12)
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow keeps biting

Post by Jdcell100 »

He's a puppy get use to it he'll grow out of it every time he dose it make aloud shrikkeing sound ( when his biting you) worked for my 2 chows
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

He's a puppy and it's normal because he hasn't been taught any better. He won't "grow out of it". You have to teach him that he's not supposed to bite/nip.

First, I'd try a high pitched "ow" or yelp when he bites/nips. If this doesn't work, try a time out. Time outs worked wonders with my pups. I simply stuck them in a puppy proofed bathroom for about 5 minutes and then let them out. If they did it again, I repeated. It worked because they want to be with their people and being closed away is seen as a punishment.

If he bites/chews other inappropriate things, give him a firm "no", remove the item from him (or him from an item if it can't be moved) and give him an appropriate chew item.

NEVER physically reprimand ANY dog. And NEVER yell at him. You don't want to make your dog fear you or confuse him.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
akithelionchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by akithelionchow »

@Tippsy's Mom,

Thank you for the tips. We haven't yelled at our pup or let alone give him a physical reprimand. At most, I tried to do a nipping action with my hand when he bites (what I read about bite-inhibition).
Lord Aragorn "Aki" of Berserker - 3mos. old (12/28/12)
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Tippsy's mom gave you some good advice. I want to add, be sure when you let out the high pitched loud "OW" that you stand up and stop all play immediately. It is important that you don't (for lack of a better word) whine at your chow, this will just make it worse. My daughter was 11 when we got our first chow puppy and he would do his puppy biting and she would tell him to stop and try to get away from him which just made it worse since he thought she was still playing with him. She wasn't firm or sharp enough with her demands. If you do a search here you should find some previous posts for bite inhibition.