8 week old chow chow

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nmerced93
Rank 0
Rank 0

8 week old chow chow

Post by nmerced93 »

We just got an 8 week old Chow Chow and named him Mongo. We are very new to Chow Chows but have done some research. My question is what can I start training him at 8 weeks old? I read that I should start walking him because the older he gets the more he will fight it.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 8 week old chow chow

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Start teaching him the basics. Sit, stay, come, lay down, no, etc. Teach him his name (never use his name with a correction though; he'll associate it with bad things and you don't want that). Set his boundaries now. Anything you don't want a full grown dog doing (jumping, biting, chewing inappropriate things, pulling on the leash, etc.); don't let him do it now. Crate training would be a valuable thing to teach him. A command I've found highly valuable with my dogs, is "wait". I use it when I'm trying to leash them, before we go out the door, before I let them in or out of the car, before we cross the street, etc.

Never punish your puppy though. Don't hit or yell at him. Remember, he has teeth and he could use them if he felt threatened enough. Only use positive reinforcement.

Also, look up NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free). Another very valuable thing to teach.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
nmerced93
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nmerced93 »

Okay thank you! How do I, I dont want to say punish him, but tell him No when I dont want him doing something? This morning he was chewing on my sheet and I would say his name and put my hand where he was chewing and he would stop. Is that a good way? I read on here to ignore him and not make eye contact for when he bites or jumps.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

When I correct a puppy or any dog really, I clap my hands really loud and say "no" firmly. Not shout, but enough to get my point across. In all honesty, I almost growl it because I've found that they respond to a more man-like voice than a woman's. And again, don't use his name with a correction; you don't want him to associate it with being in trouble.

And with biting or jumping, walking and ignoring him is a good way to get it across that those behaviors will end play. So, he should learn that pretty quick.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
nmerced93
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nmerced93 »

Okay thank you so much!! I will sure use your advice and keep on searching around for new tips =]