I need help we my new puppy

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

selma&aska
Rank 0
Rank 0

I need help we my new puppy

Post by selma&aska »

Hi guys.

I know you probaly heard like thousand times same question, but I just can't get trough all the posts to get proper answer, so I would appreciate every answer I can get.

I have to leave my chow chow in the house for 9 hours since I'm working and during that time, she's in the bathroom, otherwise she's peeing and pooping in the house. In the bathroom she pee on the paper I use, but I'm afraid (as I read in here) that it will make her confused about the place where she's suppose to pee. Do you have any advise? Since she also bites everything and I'm still in my mother's house, I can't leave her alone in the house without me beeing aroung to stop her to bite objects she's not supposed to.

This is my first dog, so I'm bit scared that all I'm doing is wrong and she will never learn to pee and poop where she's supossed to.

I also have anpther problem with Aska. She's eating small rocks and other stuff in the yard when I take her peeing or pooping outside. :shock: And I don't know how to stop her. I alsways take the staff she grabs out of her mouth, and follow her everywhere to be sure she's not eating anything, but as soon as I turn my back she grabs something. Is there any mathod to teach her not to eat from the floor when we are outside.

Sorry again for bothering you. And thank you in adnavce for all the answers.

Chofully,

Selma&Aska
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: I need help we my new puppy

Post by Sarahloo »

Hi!
Your puppy cannot be alone for 9 hours! Imagine being a child and being locked into a boring bathroom all day! You'll have to ask your mother for help, or your dog will do her business in the house forever. She'll need to be taught how to do her business outside. Someone needs to be really committed to the task and have the time for it too!
Please buy a book on how to take care of a puppy! And yes, take the trouble of getting through the posts because there's still a lot you need to learn!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Potty training is definitely a commitment, and really is based on the age of the dog. Nine hours is a really long time to expect all but a fully grown dog to hold it, and even then its going to be a struggle. If you really can't have someone get her out on a regular basis...and if she is 2 months old that means every hour, at 3 maybe you can go to every 2 hours, and so on...then you need to alternate train. Puppy pads with a base, similar to a kitty litter may be required, but keep it close to the exit and as she ages, make it less available.

As for the eating and chewing on outside objects, you need to control the walk. A pup should never be left unattended. Make sure she is on lead, and if she starts objectionable behavior, pull her back. Basic puppy training classes will teach you the importance of a "Leave It" command. You need to be paying attention...those rocks today could very well be a poisonous item tomorrow. You can't turn your back. Waiting to pull something out of her mouth could be too late. She could be chewing on a rabies infected rat or something and by then its not good enough to pull it out of her mouth, you will both be infected. You need to pay close attention, and you need to be able to trust that she will ignore things you deem inappropriate.
selma&aska
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by selma&aska »

Thank you so much for both of your answers.

I do use a puppy pads and she is using them properly. She never pees anywhere else but on them. I was just affraid that I'm not confusing her with those pads. But I will use your advise and keep them close to exit.

As for the small objects she's eating in the backyard. I will try with the lead, but I was just affraid it was too soon. Unfortunately, here are no puppy training clasees where I live so that option is out of question. She's never unattended when she's out. But I know if I don't stop her now to eat stuff from the backyard it will be even worse when I start walking her in the park :d That's why I needed advise on how to traing her to stop doing it.

As for the post. I didn't say it's trouble to get trough all the posts. I just meant that I don't want to lose not one day of trainging and it will took me some time to read all the posts. But I will eventualy.

Can you advise me on the book on how to take care of a puppy? There are a lot of different books offered trough the Internet so I'm bit confused which one is the best :D