Potting Training on doggy pads and excessive whining

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Bowser's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Potting Training on doggy pads and excessive whining

Post by Bowser's Mom »

So I got Bowser on Monday and he is now 7 weeks old. How is the best way to go about potty training him for doggy pads. He lets me know when he needs to go outside I just want him to use the pads when we are away at work and stuff. We have baby gates to keep him in the kitchen while we are gone but he never uses the pad in there. Also he tends to get whiny in the mornings a few hours before I usually take him out. How can I get him to whine less?
I have read a lot that they are very stubborn dogs but is there any rhyme or reason in training them to obey commands? we have a cat the is finally getting used to him but he will bark and growl at her like he wants to play is this bad. My cat will hiss and pat him on the nose with no claws then he will run away.
My last question for now is how do I know what his colors will be when he is older I will attempt to upload a picture so that ya'll can see what he looks like. I really like the look of this forum and the passion everyone has for the Chow Chow breed. I appreciate any and all help in advance
Attachments
3K93Nb3Hd5Gc5Ke5M3d1l3fe05d2911ae19b8.jpg
3K93Nb3Hd5Gc5Ke5M3d1l3fe05d2911ae19b8.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Potting Training on doggy pads and excessive whining

Post by Cocoa »

Chows are very clean dogs and don't like to soil in their homes. When Cocoa was a pup she was gated in the kitchen at night and when I was out and she considered that her crate. After the first couple of days she would not use the puppy pads in the kitchen at all, I would just take her out as soon as I got up in the morning, after she ate, woke up etc. I think Bowser is the same, looking at the kitchen as his crate. Just make sure you take him out often and you will find that he will be potty trained very quickly.
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

We got our second blu chow in October at 9 weeks for the first 2 days I bring him outside every 20 minits when he went I would pick him up Praise him bring him in the house on the 3 rd day he was going to back door on his own he never once had an accident in the house not once did this same thing for our first chow same result never had an accident.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

1st the bad news...7 weeks is too early for him to be with you and away from his litter and mom. You will need to work extra hard to get him properly socialized with both people and other dogs...

Now for the pyschology of training...Cocoa has it right. Most dogs learn starting with a very limited scope of area...the training crate. They see that as their home. Chows, being clean dogs, will not want to soil that and hold as long as they can. Since you are using baby gates, he sees the whole room as his home. Puppy pads will probably only be seen as a play toy...he will chew on them and shred them. If you are going to use the pads, identify the spot where he goes anyway. Put them their. Gradually move them to the door he will be going out to do his business. Once they are at the door, leave them for a bit. Then get them out of the way completely. When he goes to the door, that's the signal...take him out.

Pay more attention to the whining. He is signalling you. At 7 weeks, he can't hold it for a few hours waiting for you. At that age, you need to be on his schedule, not him on yours if you dont want accidents. The best you can do at this point is to schedile his food to meet your schedule. He will still need to have food 3 -4 times per day. Be prepared to take him for a walk 10-15 minutes after he eats. Water should be available at all times, but he is going to need to go.
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

Teddies stays on the deck all day while we're at work. When we first got her we put out a tray of cat litter and when she had to go we put her on that and in a day she figured out what that was for and that's where she went when she couldn't get downstairs. Now that she's full grown we've graduated to a wooden box, 3'x2' with a four inch lip (essentially a large wooden drawer). She uses it while we're away and work and we just scoop it out like you do for a cat. We use the litter from Costco because it's more sand like than the others we've seen. We just have to sweep the deck in the morning to pick up the litter that stuck to her paws. No one was more surprised than we were that this worked, but it does.

Our other dog (Arleigh-Burke) is a shepherd / golden mix and she tried really hard to use the box but she never could understand that the object was to get the pee and poo inside the actual box. She just holds on until we get home and then goes down stairs.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

If you are potty training your puppy you may find it very useful if he can let you know when he wants to go outside to potty.