Barking/Pulling towards other dogs on walks

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MartMan86
Rank 0
Rank 0

Barking/Pulling towards other dogs on walks

Post by MartMan86 »

Hey guys. I've ran into a bit of a situation with Kage, my 1 year old male. When we decided to go on a walk and someone passes from behind or front, Kage likes to bark/cry/growl and pull towards them. I use a harness which makes the pulling a little worse I've heard... thinking about a neck collar or an easy-pull harness.

I've stopped several times mid walk, made him sit until he's calm again but it hasn't been helping. He keeps doing it over and over. My female who's 6 has never had this problem at all so I'm a little lost on how to fix this.

Any advice would GREATLY be appreciated.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Barking/Pulling towards other dogs on walks

Post by Pinoy51 »

Difficult to give proper advise w/o seeing Kage doing it. If this is a long term habit he might feel the need to protect you. What I introduced with Simba who is a growler and barker too. I take him short leash in areas with high traffic.
So he clearly gets the message that I lead him and not he is leading me.
I also walk steadily with a normal speed, and praise him for every person / group which passes without him barking. We're making progress and his barking is getting lesser. In lesser dense area I let him walk with relaxed leash. I also think positive I'm not getting upset, angry or frustrated, if he still barks.
Last weekend we're able to walk 30 minutes without any bark at passing people.
So patience, leading and praise for good behavior works for me.
Best regards
Pinoy51
sk8thom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sk8thom »

My Bubba jr. who is about 14 mths. (rescue chowchow) did/does the same thing. We walk early, around 5:00 a.m. when there are less people and animals out. When I take him to an off-leash dog park he does great now. A little better every day and with lots of patience.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I think stopping the walk when he acts out like that is gonna be the best way to teach him. As soon as he barks/growls/whines and pulls towards a person going by, have him sit until he's relaxed and has all attention on you. He'll put 2 and 2 together that acting the way he is does nothing but end his walk and that being good is how to get his walk. Just be consistent and patient, it may take a while.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix