Are chows really as bad as people make them seem?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Are chows really as bad as people make them seem?

Post by sashasayys »

I recently got a chow-lab mix, but he mostly looks like a normal chow and acts like one too. He is now about 12 weeks old. He is having a nipping problem, but we're still working on it. He's a very smart dog and already knows how to sit, and shake both paws, and knows what 'nice' means. He is also potty trained but still has his slip-ups. (we've had him for 3 weeks).
We had a problem with him one day. He ran into our cat room and started eating the cat food. My fiancee's little brother ran up to him and grabbed him, and the puppy got mad and bit his face (his face was bleeding).
Whenever me or my fiancee grab him away from the food, he doesn't even dare to growl at us.
He also has been growling and barking at people that walk by our yard, but he doesn't dare to leave the property.
I'm worried that he will be violent towards other people when he gets older and I'm not sure what to do. other people are not willing to spend time with him because they're afraid he'll get aggressive.
My family has also been saying that eventually I will have to put him down because he'll end up hurting somebody.
Personally, I think he has potential. He's a very sweet dog and loves to cuddle with me. I just don't know how to work on his love towards other people because of how protective he is at only 12 weeks old.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Are chows really as bad as people make them seem?

Post by wokman »

Just a guess that it may be the combination of the breeds. I know someone that has three Labs, one is friendly the other two not so much. Chows can sometimes be loyal to only one family member and ignore or just tolerate others in the house. Children, just by their smaller size do not project authority over a head strong Chow. I think your biggest problem now will be the two families opinion of your Mix and your attachment to it. Another biting incidence could cause someone other than you to take action through the local Animal Control. Better check with your insurance company to see if Chows and Labradors are on their not allowed Breed list, if they have one. State Farm does not have a "List". Maybe someone else will have suggestions on training or there may be something in the Training Post section. :(
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Combination of breeds not so much has anything to do with it. You need to go back to square one and read about this breed. It doesn't surprise me that he snapped at the kid who grabbed him from the cat food. That's not the way to approach them and he should be taught this. He probably startled him and this is exactly what the result will be. First of all most dogs will sneak or deliberately eat cat food if given the chance. Mine included. It's up to you to keep it away from him. Remember he's still a little guy in training. He will do whatever he can get away with. It sounds like you need to start socializing him through puppy classes etc. Chows are extremely smart and quick to learn if given the proper direction. There is a wealth of information on this site that you can research with regards to socializing, training, health, behaviors etc... be sure to read through this. You need to get a handle on this while he is young. I hope this doesn't sound to harsh but it aggravates me deeply when people like your parents are predisposed to him already having to be put down when he gets older because somebody got a puppy and it's not all hugs and kisses. Like i stated earlier read, read, read about the chow as they are so different then other dogs. As far as insurance issues go don't buy insurance knowing he is going to bite. This is ridiculous. Be a responsible chow owner and socialize this pup. Just work with him everyday through love and attention and you will have a great loyal companion as he ages.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Chows are not born bad. Bad owners create bad dogs. And a puppy that young isn't being outright aggressive. When your fiancee's little brother grabbed him like that, he startled him and THAT triggered the bite. And the growling and barking at people walking by your property is normal. He's telling them "I'm here. This is my territory."

My Jasper is a lab/chow mix and behaved exactly the way you've described. We rescued his when he was 5 to 7 weeks old and he wasn't a dream to train like Tippsy was. We had potty training issues for months. It took me 2 months to completely stop nipping. We overcame his fear of riding in the car (we assume he was dumped out of a car since we found him on the side of a road), his fear of moving vehicles, his fear of the big black garbage cans people sit at the street, separation anxiety, and resource guarding in the 4 years I've had him. And I completely trust him. I trust him with family and complete strangers (adults and children).

I think what you really need to do, is to find a good trainer who has experience with chows (NOT a petsmart/Petco trainer).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Completely agree with Ocean. That reaction was not a dog problem. He was grabbed and pulled in what he considered mid-meal. Whether or not it was his food is not the question. The dog (from the description in the post) was snuck up on and pulled. Pretty normal reaction for any dog, regardless of breed or mix.

Predisposition by family is another issue. They are going to project a negative attitude toward him that he will sense. You are going to have to overcome that or he wont accept them regardless of training or socialization efforts. My dog is 16 months old and has exactly 1 enemy. Care to guess who's issue that is?

Its definitely important to set boundaries for your Chow. He needs to know what is expected of him and what is acceptable/not. So do people. They need to understand a Chow mentality, and you as well if you do not already...Chows have very limited peripheral vision, so dont approach from the side or behind without announcing your presence. They can be head-shy and must be taught to tolerate contact to their eyes and nose. If you are not their person (and they will decide who is and who isnt) respect their personal space.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

No. Chows aren't bad. However, there have been some labs now that have issues, because of their popularity and over breeding them. Just saying that no one should look and say, "Oh, it's because he's a chow."

Now as others have said, the child was in the wrong, and needs to be taught to never run up to a dog, grap it and try to pull it away from anything. That will trigger a startlement reaction which results in a bite. I have a question that is very important, did the puppy release after the bite and back up? Or did he continue the attack and go after the child? I'll bet it was the former, that is a clear indication that the bite was just a reaction, not a symptom of aggression. Even as puppies aggressive dogs will turn and continue the attack.

Also find another place to feed the cat(s) someplace like the top of a washing machine or dryer, or chest type freezer, or buy a small card table and place it over where the litter box is and feed the cat(s) there. Cat food is higher in meat and meat protein than dog food, putting it on the floor is like putting down a large amount of treats for a dog, they will all go after it.

and yep find a trainer to help you learn how to train the puppy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Hagrid's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hagrid's Mom »

I also have a Chow/Lab mix puppy. (Born in October of 2012) I have to agree with all of the previous posts. When we adopted him, the shelter worker told me that he and his sister had begun getting food aggressive and were nipping at each other at the food bowl. When he was first brought into the house I used to get right down by his face while he was eating and push him gently away from the bowl. He didn't care. When I catch him in the cat food, I put my hand right down next to his face and take the bowl away. He has never growled or given any sign of aggression. My children can do the same thing with no reaction from Hagrid. We have him signed up for training and he is already a smart guy. He comes, sits, lays down on command already. He doesn't like any men in the house except my husband. His reaction is to "Huff" at them and then just keep an eye on them while they are visiting. If they stay long enough, he will eventually allow them to pet him, but you can tell that they are not being accepted into his "pack".
Baby Bear.jpg
Baby Bear.jpg (155.82 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
sashasayys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sashasayys »

Hey guys! Just an update!
I was going to take him to a trainer, but the only trainer in town said that she is not having any classes right now because she does not have time for them at the moment.
My family continued to try and talk me into giving him away, but i kept on refusing. I made sure to take him to my friends' houses all the time, i took him on walks around people every day, let him play with kids, and other dogs. A LOT. We have not had another accident since the one time he bit the child (when he was trying to take away the food). He has been really good. He does not bark at people unless he senses danger, which is usually at night. The only time he bites anymore is when I rough house with him. And it's not even "biting", more like nibbling maybe. His jaw shakes a little, or he places his teeth on my hand. When he does bite me on accident (while playing with a toy or something), he makes sure to lick the spot where he bit me right away. He is a very smart puppy, and everyone adores him now! :)