Chow doesnt like to go for the ball

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

D3N1553
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow doesnt like to go for the ball

Post by D3N1553 »

Hi, Im new here

I have a 6 year old Chow. She is very quiet all the time, she is a little stubborn and not very well trained XD her name is simply "Chow" (Yay for originality!) only responds to "come" or "sit" when I have food in my hands, she ignores my orders a lot !

I still dont have serious problems with her but It seems weird to me that she doesn't like almost any game. I trow a ball or a toy and she doesnt responds in any way. The only time when she is playful is when someone arrives, but only for a seconds then goes to sleep.

Any ideas?
The name of my chow is "Chow", fits perfectly ! and she has the cutest ears in the world.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow doesnt like to go for the ball

Post by Merlin »

Did you read up on the breed at all?

Chows are not retrievers so don't retrive items like labs and goldens do..
Chows were bred for guarding and hauling. So instead of throwing a ball, maybe consider getting a sled or doing ski jorring, that's more along their lines.

Most chows will definitely play tug of war with you with a plush toy though.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Sounds like my mix boy, Jasper. He won't touch toys and only really plays with my girl Dixie. Definitly not something I'd worry about.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
D3N1553
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by D3N1553 »

She has a plushie toy but ignores it completely, she is very very docile so we believe she doesnt like to bite stuff like that :/ which is so weird for a dog XD I dont know... we only saw her biting the TV control remote once, but never tried again.

So I dont know what exactly play with her, I guess I'll try the sled thing and see if she has fun XD
The name of my chow is "Chow", fits perfectly ! and she has the cutest ears in the world.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My chow mix, Jasper, doesn't like toys at all and won't play with me. But every once in a while I buy him a bone and he'll gnaw on that and likes to run around with it in his mouth and toss it around. Doing that and playing with Dixie are the only ways he plays.

He also won't pull. It's just not something he enjoys.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My two don't really play with toys. Malachi used to bounce a small rubber ball on the floor and chase it, but then one day he decided to chew on it and swallow it, so no more small balls. He did throw it up the next day, saving us a big vet bill. They used to play with a rope and pull it, but they rarely do so any more. Malachi does like chasing around the yard with Bit. It is something to see Bit with a stick in his mouth chasing Malachi. Ursa has decided that she wanted a section of 4" corrugated drain pipe as a toy. She carries it around the yard and really chewed it up.