Help! My dog has changed his behavior all of a sudden

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

raleighlee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help! My dog has changed his behavior all of a sudden

Post by raleighlee »

I have a 7 mos. old Chow and I got him when he was 3mos. old, he was playful,jolly, super active(even after a long walk outside), has a big appetite ( we feed him bow wow dog food) and then suddenly everything has changed since last week... he lost his appetite and barely finishes his food... he is now really passive and does not even follow my orders( before he knew a lot of tricks like sit,lay down,jump, even closing the door) and sometimes he would wine and make noise and be cranky... and I also noticed that he has a hard time getting up from a lying position... not the happy dog I had before.... We already visited the Vet,, but they did not find out what was the problem. and told us that it may be due to the scent of the female dogs outside but I really dont think that it is the problem because he can't even jump or stand or even be a little bit active no matter what I offer him.... it seems there is something wrong with his limbs... Please help me because I really want him back to his old behavior... :(
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help! My dog has changed his behavior all of a sudden

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Go to a different vet and get a different opinion.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
james0225
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by james0225 »

I really second Jess's post, from what you describe in your post it sounds like a physical problem. It could be an emotional reaction to something that happened in the past, but since you did not mention that I suppose that is not the case. After ruling out any physical problems, I would have you examine anything in the past that would of been stressful to your dog, something that your dog may have felt to be very dramatic. Please understand that it does not have to be stressful to us. For example, moving into a bigger house is Great for us, but verry stressful or dramatic for a dog. So, you may have to really dig.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

I would take him to a different vet for a second opinion! I hope you get help with your little boy!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Definitely see another vet, and get a thorough exam. Sadly, this may be expensive, but make sure to do blood work. You have a very rapid behavior change in a young dog. The range of issues is impossible to guess at on this forum...but i will list a couple.

He may have developed a food allergy in the short time you have had him. He may have contracted a tick born disease (lyme). He may have a genetic join issue that is emerging as his growth plates close. He may have injured himself (knees, hips, ligaments, etc). He may also be lethargic for neurological reasons (EEE).

Not to try and cause panic, but really, what you know is what you know, and what you dont is not helpful in the least.
franhan46
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by franhan46 »

I have an 8 month female who also has morphed into some other dog in the last month. Schatzi has been playful and affectionate since I got her at 8 weeks. She remained that way until two weeks ago when she began to shy away from being touched. She even growled and snapped at her trainer. We are looking for solutions to this unexpected behavior. She also has difficulty getting out of the car (a sedan) and wants to be carried out. She weighs 45 lbs now and I do not plan to do a lot of heavy lifting. I have not changed her food. She gets Blue large breed puppy. Any suggestions?