What do you guys think of this?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow4me
Rank 0
Rank 0

What do you guys think of this?

Post by chow4me »

Hi everyone!

I havent gotten a chow puppy yet, and have posted a couple times on this forum to get the optimal knowledge and advice I need before bringing a precious puppy into my home.
My question is on potty training. I just came across this potty training crate, and thought it was actually pretty remarkable. Im hesitant on two things..
1. If i lock the puppy up at night in the crate, will he get upset? (I will only be locking him up at nighttime when I am asleep, and this is until he is well trained in using the potty).
2. If I crate train the puppy, as opposed to leaving a potty mat by the door, will he get used to going in that spot, and not learn to go to the door when he wants to potty. (I will be taking him out frequently, so that he can potty..I just also would like to train him to give me a cue at the door just incase he needs to go at another time.)

Here is the crate
http://www.youtube.com/user/PottyTraini ... eature=pyv
Please let me know what all of you think! I would really appreciate your thoughts on this crate, and also if you could give me advice on my two concerns.
Thank you so very much! :D
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Post by Rory's Dad »

That's the first i have seen of that crate, but i dont think i am a fan.

The concept behind crate training is to teach the dog that it is his home and safe haven. Teaching him to 'go' in his home is counter-productive. Particularly with Chows, who are well known as clean dogs. They will not soil there homes for the most part, so encouraging that sort of training goes against their instincts.

Normal crate training is not cruel or abusive. The dog may get upset in the beginning, only because they crave inclusiveness. They want to be with their human family. If you dont give in to a puppy, they quickly accept this as their place for the night. Since they have to sleep there, they do there best not to have accidents and then lie in it. With crate training, you let them out of the crate, and 1st thing is to bring them to their outdoor space. No in-between, no stops, and no food. You are simulating taking them outside once they are grown and dont require the crate all night.

Potty mats are similar, except you are not confining the dog to the crate. The 'home' becomes a room or an entire area. Much less control. You teach the pup that the mats are where they are supposed to go, and then move the mat closer to the exit toward their space. In theory, the mat would then be moved outside and they learn to go in the yard or whatever spot is designated. Problem with pups is they tend to view the mats as play toys and will chew on them.

In my opinion, crate training is better as it offers more control. Remember that pups can only hold for so long. The age=hours rule is fairly reliable. As for clues, this may or may not happen...i tried to train with bells by the door, not so successful. Probably better just to establish a schedule. For pups, walk him out every 2-3 hours, extend that as he ages...at 8 months, 7 hours or so, and so on. After feeding, allow 10 minutes and then take out. Adjust as needed. Some dogs digest a bit slower. If you plan to walk the dog for each trip, then its up to you whether to continue walking for excercise or not. We have a trolley run, but walked him as a pup, so as soon as he was done, we brought him in. He caught on quickly and now makes a choice whether to come straight back or hang out if the weather is nice.
chow4me
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow4me »

Thanks Rory's Dad! I really appreciate the great advice. Do you think its a bad habit if I let my puppy sleep in my bed?
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I agree with Rory's Dad. He offered great advice.

As for your last question, I don't see a problem with letting your chow sleep in bed with you. My last purebred chow girl, Tippsy, slept in bed with me from the time she was 6-7 months old. I also started Jasper out sleeping in bed with me (ye was 5-7 weeks old when we rescued him), but then he took to the crate and has slept there since. Dixie has slept with me in bed since before she was actually mine (long story), but some nights she does decide that she doesn't wanna cuddle with me and the cat and goes in her kennel. Most nights she stays in bed with me though.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Teaching him to 'go' in his home is counter-productive. Particularly with Chows, who are well known as clean dogs. They will not soil there homes for the most part, so encouraging that sort of training goes against their instincts.
This, exactly! =D=
Why train him to go in the house if you plan on taking him out regularly?

Crates = dog cages: we don't have them over here, which I'm very happy about. Hope this trend never makes it here. Times get better for birds and bunnies, they get nicer enclosures/more space to run or fly, and dogs are put in cages? Strange counter-trend. More freedom for every other pet, less freedom for dogs? There's nothing nicer than seeing your Chow stretched out somewhere weird happily. Chows appreciate their freedom to sleep where they want and don't abuse that privilege.

Of course your dog can sleep in your bed, but he is going to demand to sleep there every day, if you let him sleep there once. You can't expect him to go back to the crate the next night. He wil not stand for that.
chow4me
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chow4me »

Thank you everyone for the advice!
What is everyones experience with what surface is best for the puppy to go on?
A puppy pad, newspaper, doggy litter, or grass turf?
I want to train my puppy to go one either of these surfaces when Im not home.
Which one works best for your chows?

Also, I live in a high rise on the 16th floor..I will take my puppy out frequently when I am home, but I'm scared sometimes he might not be able to hold in with all the different stops on the elevator ect. What I want to do is leave one of these surfaces (mentioned above), outside on my balcony, and just let him go outside on the balcony to pee. As he gets older, and is able to control is bladder better, my idea is to take him downstairs and for walks so he can pee downstairs.

Do you think thats a good idea?
Thanks!!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I have NEVER used anything other than taking my puppies outside. My mom tried puppy pads and her dogs thought they were a toy to rip up. Yet again, teaching them to go on something in the house goes against their instincts.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I see no issues with letting the dog sleep in the bed. As long as you have enough room. Rory spends about 10 minutes a nite on the bed, good bonding time, but then he wants off to find his own space. We pretty much let him dictate where he is comfy.

As for the training, i have had two other chows that simply learned where they were to go...outside. Never utilized any tools other than walking and showing them the door. Rory seems to confuse carpeted areas at times with grass. It may be more of an attitude issue with him as i think he is displaying displeasure with something, havent quite figured it out yet. And since we NEVER catch him, its impossible to discipline in any way.
beckysmyth92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beckysmyth92 »

For the potty training I used newspaper where I wanted her to go however only for a few days then I stopped using it and shes never went inside from we brought her home at 11 weeks old she has only went inside once and it was the first night we had her. I was so shocked at how well and easy potty training was with a Chow, I have came across lots of articles online stating how easy it is to potty train Chows! :)

For the sleeping in the bed.. I allow Dakota sleeping in my bed I love her there however, being a chow, she jumps back down after 10 minutes onto the floor beside the door and sleeps there, she has never slept in any of the 3 beds we've bought for her lol! I think the floor keeps her at a cool enough temperature where shes not too hot and not too cold!

Good luck!