Clicker training? I think not!

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kaliuma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Clicker training? I think not!

Post by kaliuma »

I decided to try clicker training my Chow mix, Toshi. In one evening I succeeded in training her to ignore lamb treats! In other words, the clicker scared her and she quickly learned to avoid me and her treats. Anyone else try clicker training a Chow? :roll:
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Clicker training? I think not!

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I tried clicker training with Tippsy, when she was young, but the click did nothing but annoy her. Her eats would go back, her tail would go down, and she'd just glare at the clicker and not come near me. So I gave up rather quickly.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
kaliuma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaliuma »

That's exactly what happened with Toshi! It really does make me chuckle, how different this breed is from say a Lab or a Golden. She is such a great dog but she has very strict terms of engagement, kind of like a cat. Any advice on recall? For safety reasons I'd really like us to master recall, outside the house and off lead...
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

:lol: They are totally different. :lol: They don't have that eagerness to please like a lab or a golden (which my mix boy got from his lab side :lol: ). And honestly, there's nothing I can offer up for recall... As much recall training as I did with Tippsy and how much I made it a good thing when she came to me, once she was off her leash she was gone. That's just how most chows are and why seasoned chow owners just don't let their chows off leash outside of a fenced area.
Jess
kaliuma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaliuma »

I'm with you, I just don't see recall in this girl's future. The vet thinks she's 1/2 Samoyed. I thought maybe the Sammie side would make training a bit easier, although they can be a bit stubborn too. Toshi fascinates me endlessly with her unique personality. Thanks for the input and reality check! :D
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

:lol: All the Sammies I've met were about as stubborn as Tippsy was. :lol: I always thought it was hilarious. And I think it's a spitz breed thing. :lol:

And you're welcome, I'm more than happy to answer questions. :)
Jess
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm still smiling after I imagined what would happen if I use Clicker with Simba and Nala:
Simba would either also leave and never come near me again with the clicker in my hand, or he would take the clicker and try to find out how to make the sound himself :D
Nala, would definitively take the clicker and wonder off with it to chew it or burry it, because it would enoy her :lol:
Maybe one of them would figure out how to use it to make me bring them treats :lol:
Best regards
Pinoy51
karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by karenmarie »

OMG,LOL, Pinoy51 you absolutely had me laughing out loud!!! I had the same vision after reading this. Our two would love to come upon a clicker for humans. But then Ms Bella would probably think we weren't quick enough and she would show us either her (Stare and head tilt accompanied with, Really, how could you not run when I need this look, or, the Shake her head and huff slowly walking away and plopping down, Seriously, I am disappointing) Bubbs would just back her up with a kiss and an It's ok lick. Thanks for making me laugh!
Bella & Balou