Nipping Problems and more

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kowcy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Nipping Problems and more

Post by Kowcy »

Hi! I have a Chow who is about 8 months old. I got him at about a week shy of 6 months. He is a white Chow named Iceman. He's got a bit of a nipping problem, I see posts on how to train like little puppies how to stop nipping, but not like full-grown older pups. He doesn't nip at people, but at my parents other dogs. Its not a harmful nip, its a little Hey pay attention to me!! Nip but still it needs to stop. Also, he doesn't listen. A lot, he knows his name, but when I let him off the leash to run around, he is so excited to be loose, when its time to put him up, he refuses to acknowledge me, or let me near him. If I'm sitting down outside with him, he'll come tell me hi every 5 minutes or so then run off, but when I try to go up to him, he takes off. This bothers me that he's so insubordinate. More than it bothers me, it bothers my parents, which is who he really needs to impress because I currently live with them. Iceman was suppose to be my 'go to college and move out' dog buut I had some falling out with the people I was suppose to live with sooooo I still lives with my parents and that means he does too and they are not happy about that. I love my Iceman and I want my parents to love him too but he's got to shape up to win their hearts. Help me please! Any and all training advice is welcome!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Nipping Problems and more

Post by Tippsy'smom »

The technique to train any dog to not nip is the same no matter what age. I've been working on this with my brother's pitbull mix who's 10-11 months old and nips when she plays.

When she nips, I let out a high pitched yelp/"ow" and tell her "no". I then end all play and don't give her any attention. Once she's calm I'll give her attention, but if she gets too rambunctious, and starts nipping again, I repeat and will often times put her in "time out" (close her in the bathroom alone for a few minutes). It shouldn't take long for him to pick up on it; it's only taking me so long to teach Snooki because I'm the only one who even tries to correct her bad behaviors... My brother plays rough with her and allows her to bite...

And as for him not letting you near him when he's loose, that is typical chow. They're independent and free thinking; not clingy and eager to please like a lab. I know when I live with my grandparents (2003-2005), Tippsy was 2-4 years old, and when I'd let her run loose in the backyard (she was only EVER allowed to be loose in a fenced in area because she would take off and not come back when called) she would just keep running and running if I tried to catch her to put her up. So, I found out that if I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk, she would run to the gate. So I'd leash her up, take her for a short walk, and then put her up.

Chows are a breed apart, and you've gotta learn that they're not like labs (or other overly eager to please breeds) and that you have to learn to understand them. The biggest trick to getting them to do what you ask is to get them to think it was their idea.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

The nipping at other dogs is play. You need to understand that, the other dogs do. If it goes too far, they will yelp or react with a 'go away' behavior. Your Chow is still a puppy and is trying to play with the other dogs. They have a system to set limits that your dog understands from his time in the litter. An aggressive pup may cross that line, but it doesnt sound like that is happening. The reactions are coming from people who find it a bit annoying or dont understand. Consider a puppy class to allow your Chow to get this interaction without upsetting your family.

Chows will not usually be great at recall. In most cases the best you can hope for is to identify a treat or food item that will lure him to you. If he is off leash, have a pocket full of something that he can both hear and react to. For my dog, its plain old American Cheese. I leave it in the deli wrapper so he can hear the bag and he knows what's there. That being said, it is different for each dog.

If you allow the dog off leash, never chase. He sees it as a game. Mine will actually run between bedrooms before letting me pick him up to go downstairs for breakfast (we have hardwood stairs that are way to slippery for him, so i have to carry him down). It's become a set routine for him and off leash outside would be similar. We usually tell him that he won the game, but that is indoors. I have seen some recommend actually lying on the ground and calling for the dog. Others have said to get the pup used to car rides, and start the car so they can hear it. Regardless, chase routine is not going to work.
jonnywho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jonnywho »

I had the same problem with my pup nipping a my feet. I tried all the suggestions and what eventually worked for me was the 10-15 minute timeout in another room. I had to do it to him twice and ever since then, he hasn't nipped at me.

YMMV
barbyancy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by barbyancy »

I have a 10year old Male Chow and had two others before that....I never had nipping and running problems with them. However, I got two female puppys (sisters) last January and one is a "nipper" and one is a "runner"! Interesting thing about your post is that my "nipper" is also a white Chow. I don't have the answer to these problems, but it is just good to know that other Chows do this....I thought I had some real bad dogs. And yes, Chows are a VERY INDEPENDENT breed...but we love them! :-)