Bitting Chowling

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Co Co
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bitting Chowling

Post by Co Co »

Hi to everyone,

We finally picked up our beautiful chowling girl Co Co two days ago.
It was a very exciting day for all of us!! She adjusted to us really well
only crying for less than a minute everynight before she falls asleep in her bed. Has not even had an accident in the house.

My only problem now is when we try to pat her she wants to bite!!
At first she didn't then it turned to a playful thing.
I took it as being a normal thing for pups as the bites were not hurting.
I also thought that maybe she just didn't want to be patted,
so we eased off with the patting.

This is our third day now with her and we love her dearly but the play bitting
is getting to much. My daughter won't go outside with pup.
And when I walk she's bitting my shoes all the time.

My kids have been giving her alot of attention.
Is she getting fustrated with the kids?
Will this play bitting go away because she is just a pup?
I want to socialize her but I dont want her to be play bitting strangers.
What can I do?

Victoria
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

We had this sort of behaviour with Milly when she was a chowling and I have read other reports from other chowlings.
I think the most important thing is not to get upset about it. Naturally it needs dealing with.
What I did with Milly was to just keep saying "No!" and "No Milly, gently!" and so on. I found a sharp "Aah!" did the trick. It can be incredibly boring and you seem to be going round round the house issuing these words like they are the only ones you know!! :) :)
But take heart, it does work. I really did find the sharp "Aah!" worked really well because it covers everything you don't want her to do in the future i.e. if she pulls on her lead in the future, or pulls up the flowers or whatever, the sharp disapproving "Aah!" quickly stops the behaviour!
Make sure she does not get teased because play biting will become a habit. A toy offered to her when she is playing might indicate to her that that is what she does with her mouth!
In any event, be firm with her - remember she will have an incredible will of her own - and she is very bright so you have this time to become the alpha female - don't waste it!! :roll:
The trouble is, chowlings are so absolutely adorable, you forget what is going on in that gorgeous little head. Don't underestimate it.
Just be firm, firm, firm - kind and loving but firm.

And Purple kisses to her from Milly and Mabel. If she got rough with Mabel, she would just grab her leg and fling her over on her back - she would not put up with it - think Mabel.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Co Co
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Co Co »

Thankyou so much for your response it was very helpful.Funny enough she managed to stop, only once today she open her mouth when I patted her but not fast enough to bite. It was like she knew it was upsetting me ( very spooky!!!! )

I took her to visit my neighbour and when she patted Co Co she just licked her palm!!(was so relieved). My neighbour thought that she was a liitle angel.

Thankyou again
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Good Show, just remember, as I said, you are the Mummy Person and she is the chowling. Remember she is very bright and let's face it, you would not tolerate your child biting :roll: and little Co Co will know exactly what you mean!!
Let us know how she gets on and purple kisses to her from Milly and Mabel. :)
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

BITING CHOWLING

Post by carolyn dewrance »

maybe you read my site about a howling that bites, well I spoke to her owner the other night, and he said she is much better theytake her to a puppy cresch during the day while they are working so she is no longer left on her own during the day and all biting has stopped, she is a changed girl and they love her very much, is your dog let on her own during the day, if so try and get a puppy sitter for her or a puppy school, it maybe the answer to your problems, she may be lonly and need the company of another chow,Read my site about the biting chowling and you may learn to do the squeal method or the squach method these all will help her. I hope things get better as she grows, good luck and dont give up on her just yet, little chows have a mind of their own and this muct be controlled just like a baby.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Co Co
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Co Co »

Will definately try the squeal method!!

I stay at home all day with my four year old daughter, so I am constanly
with our new chowling.

Can't believe how much she has grown and how good she CAN be.
She eats then has her naps much like a real baby. TOO CUTE!!

When we let her inside shes very quiet (very well behaved)
But when we let her out shes so playful (just like a normal pup )
and thats when the play biting starts.
Although she is much better now, I'm not too concerned as I know it will stop.
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

When my chowling ( 13 weeks old now) wants to rough house and play to rough along with nipping, I grab his soccer ball and we do several rounds of who has control of the ball in the backyard. It is tons of fun and he gets all the energy out with no one getting hurt. He loves to grab the ball and run, thats so funny cause the ball is so big. Hope this might help. Good luck with your new pup!
Co Co
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Co Co »

Co Co is now 14weeks old and has doubled in size. Such a beautiful chow.
I never thought I'd see the day that she would stop play biting.

She is just so much part of our lives now I don't know how we lived without her!!!

My kids annoy her sometimes but she just sits back and looks at them
as if to say "How Childish" so funny to watch.

I don't have to supervise alot any more with the kids and Co Co.
They all get along so much better now!!!

Co Co also trys to grap my sons' soccer ball and just loves it!!

Two days ago I heard her bark for the very first time at the front door.
Didn't have the front porch light on so I thought she was barking for no
reason, a minute later the doorbell rang. Such a great guard dog.

Is your chowling the same?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Wonderful! :)

Keep watching though, 'cos she is still a little girl and chows mature a little slowly.

So, you have heard that wonderful chow bark - not the same as dogs - purely chow. :)

Milly and Mabel love a football - they sometimes run round, joined at the shoulder, as with most things they do, dribbling the ball along in front of them. They are excellent dribblers! :D :D With big chow grins on their faces.

Aren't we all lucky!
Pete
Rank 0
Rank 0

bitting Chow

Post by Pete »

Hi Victoria

When the Bear was a puppy, sorry chowling, she also seemed to bite a lot, in fact my hands and arms looked like I had been in hand-to-hand combat with a weed eater. I would just give her a little tap on the nose with my finger and tell her "no biting" firmly. After a few weeks she quit biting. Also playing tug-of-war with some of her favorite toys also helped.

Good luck with Co Co
:D
Pete

P.S. We have a pet rabbit named Co Co