Puppy Nipping: I've had enough

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy Nipping: I've had enough

Post by gluesticks »

Okay, so Louie is 3.5 months old now and he STILL cannot grasp the idea that biting and mouthing our SKIN is NOT OKAY. I've tried every trick anyone has told or taught me, including:

1. saying OUCH or giving a sharp NO which is usually countered with a harder more excited biting. Or he barks at me.
2. shoving an appropriate toy in his mouth and praising, which he accepts, but then immediately wants to chew my arms and hands again. He has a billion diff toys too
3. putting him in a puppy time out, which includes a 20 sec time out in the bathroom with the door closed. When I let him out, he is calm, but then immediately starts it all back up again.
4. bopping him on the nose. I don't like or want to do this because i don't want him to be fearful, but sometimes i get way pissed off after all of the 3 above have no affect.

Please help.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Puppy Nipping: I've had enough

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba, was quite similiar to Kodi.
Now I posted this in a previous blog and got some controversial feedback, but I will try again to help you.
My only positive punishment for severely dis-obeying me, is what an alphadog would do.
The tone of your voice has to become sharp,loud and you use a short command you normally don't use, this is to mimic a bark of an alpha. Some people prefer instead an unusual sound (because loud and sharp get's unwanted attention in public places). If done properly ( patiently over and over again) can be the famous Cesar "Tsssssh..." but I had no success with Simba until now, but Nala got it.
This could already change them, if your generally accepted as leader.
If Kodi still thinks he could be the future top dog , you need to get more physical with him, and that's where the controversy starts.
I mimic the "stop that"-bite of an alpha, first to the area of the front shoulders, if still no "surrender", I "bite" the neck and in very rare cases of potential aggression ( I have worked with rescue dogs) I hold down until they physically surrender and become calm submissive.
The bite is done by forming your hand into a claw gesture and pressing every finger into the fur quickly with some force, that is supposed to simulate the teeth they would normally feel from an disciplining alpha.
Now this is nothing like a slap or punch and please don't do it with being in an annoyed or even aggressive state of mind. You might over react, this is meant for calm leaders as a very effective positive disciplining tool.
The good news is you don't have to do this for long, after a few times the "bark" will usually be enough and then guess what, the unwanted behavior is completely stopping as they don't want to mess with the boss all the time.
Simba and Nala both stopped nipping and chewing, they use their toys now and play with each other.
I use the "bark" now while moving towards them, if they're engaged in an unwanted behavior. Last time I "bit" Nala was when she became "food aggressive" towards Simba. Now they share a large bowl of Kibbles, Just their favorite food, I still have to separate and supervise that no-none tries to steal from the other bowl :)
I repeat again, this isn't meant to establish you as a leader, you need to be already accepted and never do this while approaching Kodi from the back or to the hindlegs, he might just turn around and bite bake as a fear reaction.
This isn't to be done if you're not calm, and this is only for "I've had enough" situations or to prevent dog fights, not for every little mishap they do.
Best regards
Pinoy51
gluesticks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Puppy Nipping: I've had enough

Post by gluesticks »

I'd like to think I am alpha, or that he considers me as such. He automatically sits and waits until told so when waiting for his meals/water. He does tend to listen to me more acutely then Peter (mostly because he's easy to anger). He sits when told very easily, even in public. He just cannot grasp or does not care about mouthing/biting us which is the only part about him that I cannot stand. I will try your method on Louie. I will also try and walk him more often.