New chow has aggression issues

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

New chow has aggression issues

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

I am hoping to get some suggestions as to how to handle my newly adopted chow, Sophie. She is 3 years old and I got her from a shelter, where she had been for 5 months. Not much is known of her life prior to that, except that she was routinely neglected.
My concern is how she acts with strangers. She will not allow anyone to touch her or get too close or she will growl. I believe she would bite or nip if they pushed it. Perhaps that is normal chow behavior but I'm not sure how to handle it. This is when she is meeting my friends for the first time. If someone does something like take her for a walk, she warms up but they still need to be cautious. She's not their pal yet.
I have taken her on lots of long walks. Due to the time of day that I walk her or where we walk, we don't normally come across other people or dogs. Today I had her in town and she suddenly started barking ferociously at a man and pulling on the leash. I quickly got her under control. She does listen to me well. I sharply told her to stop it and pulled her to me and she stopped the barking and we went on our way. I took much care after that to make sure to give other pedestrians a wide berth and talked to Sophie matter-of-factly as they approached and had no further trouble with her. I don't know if she was startled when she noticed the man or what it was that set her off. He was about 8 feet away. I don't know if she'd have bitten him if he had been close enough.
So how do I handle this, both the aggression in public and with people she doesn't know? She did growl at my adult daughter after I got her home. Sophie was on the couch with me, and my daughter came into the room and approached her a bit apprehensively and I think Sophie picked up on her fear. I gave her a sharp No! and she calmed down, but my daughter declined to try to pet her. I wonder if I should have made Sophie get off the couch at that point too, since I've read that it's a dominance thing for dogs to be on furniture.
It took less than a day for her to bond with me. She sleeps on her bed in my room and wants to be with me wherever I am in the house. She loves attention from me and lays down and rolls on her back, so I don't think (?) she's particularly dominant. She has been with me for about a week.
Maybe this is "normal" or expected behavior from a shelter chow, but what's the best way for me to handle these situations?
Thanks.
Last edited by Mrs. Cooper on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New chow has aggression issues

Post by Ursa's daddy »

First, thank you for rescuing Sophie. It sounds like she has some issues from being in the shelter for so long, and it sounds like she has little socialization. This is not what I would consider normal behavior for a well socialized chow. The story with your daughter suggest that she was perhaps trying to protect you. Speculation on my part, I think that she is very glad to have you and is afraid that someone will come between you and her, that she will do anything to prevent that. You need to work with her to make her feel secure and that you will not leave her. You will have to work with building her confidence in you and her new home so that she is not afraid when strangers enter her space. Is there some place where you can walk her that she can observe other people at a distance? It will take time, but she needs to see the general public and learn that it is not threatening. It will be a lot of very small steps. It sounds like she has accepted you as the leader. I have found that my two will look to me for guidance is situations where they are unsure. It is something that I have notes with chows. It sounds like she really is a wonderful dog that wants desperately to be in a secure home. I think she is lucky that she has been rescued by you. You didn't say where you are located. It is possible you are near other chow owners. Please keep us posted with your progress with her.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

The best way to bring a chow round is to ignore it. If you can get friends and family to come in the room sit down with their hands clearly visible and ignore Sophie keeping their face angled away to signal they are not a threat. They must wait for her to come to them and still not move towards her or make any signal of having seen her. Slowly she will build confidence and come more readilly and after a few times they can have a treat and offer it to her but eye contact needs to be the last contact.
From this she will begin to learn that humans are not a threat and slowly you can build it up in other situations but I very much doubt Sophie will ever be fully friendly with stranger outdoors. Be aware at all times of situations and be very very careful to protect her as have from situations where she feels obliged to defend herself as she may well do so and then she will be deemed a danger which is so unfair given what she has been through at the hands of humans.
You sound very much able to deal with this girl and I am so glad she has found you. You may find some helpful ideas here http://drsophiayin.com/resources/videos/
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Hi!
I guess it was too early for her to be out on the town. Sounds like she isn't crowd-ready yet. My Loo still isn't, and I adopted him more than three years ago. Many rescue dogs have issues with men. I guess it's almost always men who are the abusers, not women. I can't say just how many times I've told Loo's sad story to strangers, thousands of times, I am sure. People are usually interested and very understanding once you explain to them just why your dog doesn't function like every other dog. The fact that it takes her time to warm up to your friends is both a rescue dog and a Chow thing. You can't just expect their friendship, you have to earn it. You are her saviour, your friends are just people who she is still suspicious of. Chows really only need one person, everybody else has to work for it, and a lot. Nice meaty treats and lots of patience did the trick with my friends, plus, as you said, actually accompanying you on your walks. Your friends need to walk themselves into your Chow's heart!
It takes a long time to teach an "old" dog new tricks. I guess Sophie never experienced most things when she was a puppy, so her brain didn't develop ways to deal with them. It is very hard to forge these pathways now that she is an adult, and a week won't get you very far at all. Loo and I are three-and-a-half years into our therapy, and we're still nowehre near done. If you can avoid certain situations like crowds for a while, I would recommend you do that! Take it really slow, work on your bond, and she will trust you and follow wherever you lead.
You have quite the task ahead of you, but I'm sure you'll do great. Sophie is obviously very grateful to you for saving her, Chows can't cope at the shelter and I'm sure she's still traumatized from those five months there, since she took to you the way she did! She probably never really had her own human before, and needs to learn everything now. The slower you can take it, the happier she will be. It's a great idea to walk her where it isn't that busy, you obviously have very good instincts concerning what she needs and doesn't need. Long walks are perfect! Such great stress release!
Did you know that some dogs react aggressive out of fear? Some dogs retreat into themselves when they're scared, and some push it all out and attack!
I'm so glad you decided to adopt her!
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Simba has still similar issues and he wasn't a shelter. He picks people walking by and starts barking. I haven't figured out what is it he sees in certain strangers. So I keep telling him "no" and also explain the protective side of Chows to people who don't know him. My strategy that over time he will learn that pedestrian passing are no threat. And then overall I'm okay with him not pleasing everyone who passes by. One of the reason I decided to have a Chow is the reserved character and the protection you get for the house.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

Yes, Pinoy. Actually she barked and showed teeth at a second man, an attorney I know, and I got a glare and a scornful "Nice dog!" from him. I do not want her to be perceived as dangerous and definitely don't want her to actually BE dangerous.
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I had read that even socialized chows can become unsocialized if contact with outsiders isn't maintained, so I was hoping to acclimate Sophie to others. I can see that it will have to be a very gradual and carefully controlled process.
I've had Sophie in a local Petco to try to pick out toys for her (totally uninterested). It was the middle of a week day and she did fine. There were some people but I don't believe any other dogs in the store. She doesn't care about toys, was interested in a smoked bone that she smelled, but once we got home and I gave it to her, just left it sit.
We walked a bit later than usual this morning and encountered a toy poodle out in its yard. It was barking furiously at us and even crossed the street halfway to us. Sophie whined nervously but we kept on our way. Echoes of the shelter maybe.

Another worry I have is that my daughter and I are taking a four-day trip out of town over the holidays. I had thought I'd have my sister come stay with Sophie and our cats while we're gone, and I'm now thinking that the sooner the better to start getting them acquainted so that our departure is as painless as possible. Plane tickets were bought long ago and I can't cancel or postpone it, or I would.
Also, I do work but arranged to take this week off because I thought it would take her much longer than it did to become acclimated. She's adapted so quickly. I don't allow her to be alone in a room with the cats - that will be a long time coming. I will gate her in the kitchen while I'm at work and will come home at lunch time. I've left her alone like that a couple times for 30-45 minutes this week and all seemed well when I returned. I will do it again today for a longer period, maybe a couple hours, and see how that goes. It'll be just as difficult for me since I'm enjoying being with her so much and watching her enjoy her new freedom.
And--she scratches herself a lot! The shelter's records indicate she was treated monthly for fleas and I find no visible evidence of them (she is cream colored). What else can be driving her so crazy with itching? She eats Earthborn holistic grain-free kibble with some canned Natural Balance.
A lot of questions and worries, I know. That is a fraction of my experience with her. Mostly she is great company and rewarding to be with.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Sophie, sounds a lot like Simba.
As I said, I'm really not impressed, if people don't like Simba. My answer if someone asks if he bites is: "Only if I tell him too." :D For me it depends also on the person how Simba reacts, mostly he is neutral, very few selected he likes and they can even pet him and a number are being barked at the moment they come in sight or smell.
I encourage him to be neutral, I correct him firmly for the barking and I let him be friendly if he decides too.
But it doesn't bother me too much, if people he decides to bark at are getting the wrong impression of him.
Check your energy in this situation if you're nervous or angry it will make things worse. Stay calm and keep correcting him, slowly it should get better and better.
Toys are also completely ignored, but he can play 30minutes with Nala all kind of games.

Simba was itching first due grain allergy, made a mistake with wheat treats. Then blood infection due to ticks.
His skin became flacky, oh shampoo can cause itchiness too, took me a while to figure out that dog shampoos are causing issues for him. So I'm using "head and shoulders" now. Perfect fur and skin ever-since
Finally itchiness came from ear infection, which has been treated by now as well.
So after all had been eliminated and controlled he finally enjoys life to the fullest, and Nala didn't had to go through my learning curve. So no issues with skin and itching, but the poor girl got a UTI now.

So I guess ear check, blood test and shampoo check/change can address the issue. fleas and ticks are already ruled out !? better check one more time, paws, ears inside and out and mane. I found today one tick again in his mane after I declared to the Vet that he is tick free for months now. :|
Chows are good in being alone. Simba has a few hours off time in the late afternoon/evening before I come home.
He is perfectly content with it, he only get's impatient if 10 minutes after he heard the car arriving I haven't let him come to me. He uses his high pitch barking to let me know his protest.
Let your sister take care of him already a number of days before you leave. I also have a caretaker for our dogs.
Simba and Nala love her, so business and vacation trips are no problem.
I' m happy for Sophie that she has some-one who dearly cares for her now.
Best regards
Pinoy51
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

I nominate Mrs. Cooper for the new Chow Chow owner of the month award. Your Sophie is acting very much like my late Kamie did. Kamie took to me right away as her ticket out of the shelter.
She was my shadow and protecter and later mother to two other adopted Chows and I.
Sirchow has the plan for getting her to accept guest, ask your friends to bring others they know.
For the situation with your Sister staying with Sophie the introduction must be flawless on this short notice.
Your Daughter is now a sub-member of the house hold and should be walking Sophie with you and then later by herself. Your Daughter should also get involved with the feeding and grooming of Sophie, her lack of involement could be regressive to your efforts.
As Sarahloo said Sophie may have been abused by a man and this could be something you cannot alter. You have been and will adjust to her flaws some that are just going to be Sophie's way.
I'am sure Sophie is glad you found her. :)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Now, I would probably growl and bark at an attorney. Chows need to go out and see the public to maintain their socialization. When I lived in Savannah, I would take my two out every weekend, and they, of course, saw people walking by the house every day. Now I live out from town, and they don't get out as much. I try to take them out every few weeks to help maintain their socialization. They do well out in public, and the more they are out, the better they are. Ursa does begin to alert if a dog shows challenging behavior, but a random bark heard on the street she gives the "I won't even acknowledge common ruffians." My two are defensive of the home and yard, but do not carry this behavior out in public. Toys don't seem to be a chow thing. What has surprised me recently is that Ursa is fascinated by drain pipe I am putting in and loves to play with some scrap pieces.
Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

We live in a semi rural area on a dead-end street, so we don't get many passers-by. I've been bringing her to parks and forest preserves and we don't get too close to anyone - the closest is other people walking by on the bike paths and I sometimes step off a few feet - and she's been a sweetheart. There is a fenced dog park at one place and I brought her over to see how she would react. Two medium-size dogs came up to the fence, not barking or excited, just friendly and curious. She whined and turned away. Being in a shelter for so long must have been extra hard on her.

Her main problem on outings is unfamiliar men. She didn't mind anyone she saw in parks, but last night we took a walk in our neighborhood and I stopped to talk to a male neighbor in his driveway. She barked at him. The guy next door came out to see Sophie and she barked even more at him. Later on we came across a female neighbor on her bike who stopped to talk, and Sophie had no reaction. This morning we passed a teenage boy at a bus stop. She growled a little and barked at him and I shushed her and we went on our way. The author Patricia McConnell says that aversion to men by some dogs does not necessarily indicate past abuse, that it can be some kind of biological reaction. There were a couple men at the shelter who Sophie was fond of, so I know it's possible for her to come around.

My daughter is away during the week and comes home on weekends. I will have her hold the leash on our walks and feed Sophie to help establish her place as a friendly family resource. I'll also have my sister come over this weekend to start Sirchow's recommended introduction process. The local kennel club has their next obedience classes in January, and we'll be going to them.

I have found that she likes tennis balls and will retrieve them. Also, when we're out in the yard and it's time to go back in, I'll whistle and call her name and she comes running. I love to watch her run. She went ballistic at the first squirrel she saw, trying to run up the tree after him. Now the chase is still on but without the frenzy.
My house has a couple porches with lattice work around the open areas underneath. She is determined to get to whatever is under them by digging. And she is a master at squeezing through the narrowest of spaces, so I never leave her in the yard by herself. The first day she was out there, within a minute her face, mane and tail were full of burrs, so I had to spend an hour going through all the planting beds and borders to find and remove them. Getting all of those off her took a while and she was quite patient with me!
The itching and scratching is as furious as ever. I'm sure she was never bathed at the shelter, so it's not a shampoo allergy. I'll take a look at the health site to look for possibilities as to the cause.

Thank you all again for your support and suggestions.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

We all like to hear about how you and Sophie are doing. You might want to talk to your two neighbors and explain to them how Sophie seems to be afraid of men. Perhaps they could kneel down some time when you approach so that they appear less threatening, and have them look away from her. This may help her. You could also have her visit her male friends at the shelter if this is possible. I used to take Malachi to the shelter all the time where the staff was always glad to see him. Also, the general public visiting the shelter could see my dogs and learn they came from the shelter. A little advertisement and public relations. Squirrels are a big chow attractor. Ursa goes nuts when she sees one. She excitedly talks and talks about them. She knows they live up in live oak trees and always checks the branches to see if she can spot one. I haven't told her that they can be in other trees because I don't want her staring up the trunk of every tree we pass.
Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

Well...I had to give up on the idea of having my sister take care of Sophie and the cats while I'm gone in December. So I thought it would be a good idea to take her to obedience classes at a place that also boards dogs, with the thought that she would get some training, some socialization, and wouldn't be so traumatized at being boarded the 4 days that I am gone. The place I chose has very positive Yahoo and Google reviews and was recommended by our vet.
Last night was the first class, us and maybe 7 other dogs. We tried teaching the dogs Stay and Down. Sophie did well at Stay, for brief periods. I could not get her to Down and one of the (2) instructors wanted to show me how. She almost got Sophie to do it and kept trying over and over until Sophie growled and bared her teeth at her. The woman didn't back off but sat back on her heels, and Sophie snapped at the air. She didn't seem to be trying to bite her but strongly warn her. I didn't know what I should do - they were the experts - and the instructor did nothing corrective. She gave up on the training part and stood back a bit and talked to Sophie and tossed her treats. Class was about over by then, so I gathered our things up and we soon left.
She did not bark or growl at any person or dog prior to that. She was interested in sniffing around and meeting one male dog but otherwise was only interested in me.
This past weekend she barked at the next door neighbor, a sheriff's deputy, while we were out in the yard. I made her stop He came came over and talked to her calmly through the fence and she was ok. Yesterday while out in the yard she saw him and barked at him again.
Sunday night shortly after going to bed, she invited herself to join me in my bed. I was a little amused and let her stay, but last night when she tried again I told her No and she slept on her own bed.
Yesterday was my first day back and work and she handled it fine. I came home at lunch time and she was gated in the kitchen while I was gone.
I think she is a good dog, sweet, affectionate and smart but under socialized and fearful.

Do you think I am putting too much on her and starting classes too early? Should she have more time to settle in with me and maybe take classes after the holidays when the local kennel club offers them? I have read about disciplining a dog that snaps at or bites its owner (sharp rebuke and ignore for a day), but what should I do if she does this again to another person? I realize she may never be completely stranger-friendly.
One more small question: when I'm talking to and petting her, sometimes she puts a paw on my arm. Is she trying to tell me she's had enough, or is it a friendly gesture?
Thanks!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I think she is a good dog, sweet, affectionate and smart but under socialized and fearful.
That sounds like a very god assessment.
I wonder about your trainer. Dog body language isn't that hard to read if you are experienced. I don't think I would have pushed the training over the dog objection.
It sounds like you have experience with dogs. Their bark and physical stance are ways they communicate. I thought the interaction with the deputy was interesting. My two will alert at something new in their territory. What that really means is something new that they can see or a new sound. Generally, it is just one of the dogs. Ursa went on full alert when she saw the air tank through the storm door in the breezeway. She didn't recognize it, it was new, and it was in her territory, therefore it was a potential threat and she was going to bark at it. Malachi would bark at the owl. It wasn't until recently when the owls were hooting during daylight, that he finally realized they were just a normal part of the environment. My dogs expect a stable and consistent home atmosphere. They enjoy getting out and seeing the world. Ursa was totally unsocialized when I got her and very fearful of everything new. When I got Malachi, who was well socialized, he helped to bring Ursa out. Now when they are in public, they do quite well. That was a bit around the barn, but I think Sophie will eventually learn what is normal for her environment and accept events like your neighbor coming home. It could take as long as a year, perhaps even longer. I help to reassure my dogs by going to see what they are barking at. I use my body language to appear cautious when I first look to let them know that I recognize their bark and take them serious. I will move my head around like I am searching for what they see. Once I see the "danger", I relax and show them that it is ok, and tell them that they are good dogs and it is ok. I am not trying to comfort them, I am trying to show them that I appreciate their alertness, that I have checked it out, and that I recognize it as something not requiring further action. What I have observed is that chows are always looking to their person to determine appropriate action. You are Sophie's leader and you can help her learn about your world.

I hope I have not rambled too much. I am really happy that you adopted her and want her to experience life as she should. You should post some pictures of the young lady.
Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

Thank you, U.D. My dog experience consists of volunteer dog walking for the humane society and then adopting a stray chow from them 9 years ago. She was a total sweetheart but our time together ended in May when old age became too much for her. Also watched a couple seasons worth of Dog Whisperer, dazzled by Cesar's magic. I'll try to get a picture of Sophie tonight that does justice to her. Most of the ones I've taken are blurry because she's always on the move, or butt shots as she turns away from the camera.
My reading tells me that dogs get much more out of physical communication than verbal, but it helps Sophie a lot to have me talk her through uncertain situations, casually and matter-of-factly. I see her look to me for input a lot. Even when I feed her, I put her dish down and she looks at me to tell her to go ahead and eat. It took 2 times of making her wait for me to go out the door first; now she steps aside automatically for me. If she comes across a tasty morsel on our walks, she allows me to take it out of her mouth with no problem. If she didn't have to deal with the outside world, she'd be a happy pup all the time.
I called the dog trainer and re-explained my goals for Sophie and mentioned her snapping at the employee, and we are meeting on Sunday for her to test Sophie and tell me what she thinks. The environment will be a lot calmer than it was last night. Plus yesterday being my first day at work since I got her no doubt was hard for her.
We're having a nice night tonight. We got in from our walk just before it started raining biblically. I found some good chocolate i forgot I had, Sophie got an extra scoop of food, and the cats got a saucer of milk. Sophie's stretched out on the couch with her head in my lap while I type one-handed.
So...from one rambler to another...thanks for your words of encouragement. I will try to get her to smile pretty for the camera.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

As a 3 year old chow, she may be set in how she views some people. I have seen a lot of 'issues' where Chows distrust men. As her leader, you can only control her reactions and introduce her to new male persons that will reinforce positive thinking. She cant be allowed to respond with snapping or growls as long as you tell her its ok.

Training classes...a great idea, and somewhat useful. If the dog enjoys the social aspect, then it is good to have them around other dogs and people. But most of these classes are actually geared to training you, not the dog. Think 'homework', with what they have shown you on the hand directions and treating. My chows have always found the environment too stimulating to pay attention. The sounds and smells are just overpowering. Rory has learned every command or trick that they introduce, but was way too busy checking everything else out to learn it there, it was home practice that got it done. The make up of the class also makes a huge difference. A couple toy breeds and he couldnt be bothered with them, but add in a couple female large breeds and he had romance on the brain. Large breed males led to a little competition.

Our instructor allowed a fair amount of 'puppy play time', but i didnt find that productive at all. Understood the logic and all, but not what i wanted reinforced with my dog.

In my opinion, your dog needs to learn the basic behaviors (all should), but that isnt rocket science, and you can handle it. Socialization with other dogs and strange persons is huge, and take every opportunity to do so. As an adult dog with an unknown history, keep building trust. Read her behavior, and teach her to react to your cues. She should trust who you trust. It will take some time, but it's doable.
Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

Yes, I thought it would be hard for most dogs to learn in that environment and that home practice wold work best. I always address her when she growls or barks and expect that it won't really improve until she starts to lose her fear and builds trust in me. She already knows Sit and was picking up Stay pretty well. 10 or 15 times of trying to get her to lie down was just too much. It had been a long day and it was 9:00 p.m. by the time that happened.
Here is a picture.
Attachments
Grand Empress Sophia Maria.JPG
Grand Empress Sophia Maria.JPG (170.33 KiB) Viewed 8515 times
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hi! I think you are doing great in socializing Sophie - like walking her and introducing to friends while at home. As long as she doesn't bite, you don't have a real problem at hand. Since she is that way even to your daughter, I dont think it will hurt if you delay the intensive socialization part (obedience or classes) a little later until she has come around to you and to your daughter. Although it has been said that chows can bond only to one person, it is not an absolute truth. They can bond to two persons. It might have been better if you have listened to your gut feeling, to let Sophie down the sofa when your daughter came so she knows you value your daughter more than her and she is bound to respect that rule later on.

Her being aggressive or showing some sort of protectiveness is never her fault. It is your job to channel it in a correct kind of way. Never ever be mad at her for doing such. Just be firm and structured. Although we really can't be perfect all the time but at least try to see it from her point of view and then you react accordingly. There are behaviors that are no-no in the house, like aggression to family members, such behaviors should never be ignored without reprimand. A time out is best if you cant handle some other practices in such scenario.

Once she is bonded to your daughter and and you, then you can bring another for her , like obedience class. That is if you really want that for her.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Stick with the advice that the classes give. Chow's are particularly fussy when it comes to treats, so it may take time to find one she responds to in 'most' situations. Go with that...lol, it may be the best you get. Outside her comfort zone, she may not be interested in any sort of treat.

As for what Cam says...its true, the Chow rep that they own only one person is prevalent, but this is mostly due to situations. In the good old days, Chow's were viewed as tough, protective dogs that appealed to single men (like pit-bulls now). Eventually, these men would acquire wives and families, and the Chows didnt react real well to the changes in family dynamic. They could be resentful of lost attention, or untrusting of the new family dynamic. When brought into a non-changing, steady environment, these issues are almost never seen.

You have a situation where the dog is brought into a completely new situation, so that brings in some different challenges, but you are on the right path.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Code: Select all

Do you think I am putting too much on her and starting classes too early? 
No! Education and socialization is never done too early! If you chow happened upon a group of dogs anywhere, she'd have to go to their school, from the moment she arrived. They would insist upon it, lay down their law of what is acceptable and not acceptable, and would be willing to employ and defend their constitution. They wouldn't give her time to "be prepared". School starts from the moment this entity comes into your life be it at home or abroad. Dogs live in the moment, so it's up to you to be consitently capable, calm and able no matter where you are and no matter what you are doing together with your companion. THAT is what makes a whole lot of difference in how your dog will accept, adapt or not adapt to new challenges.

Code: Select all

I called the dog trainer and re-explained my goals for Sophie and mentioned her snapping at the employee, and we are meeting on Sunday for her to test Sophie and tell me what she thinks. The environment will be a lot calmer than it was last night. 
Thank you for taking the plunge away from the "darkside".
Yes, absolutely work with a trainer, it shows you have reasoning power to know that skilled help is valuable help.

Irrespective of all the stories and myths you are told about the breed, the original purpose of a chow was to be a guard dog, and while a lot of breeding has been done to move away from that aspect, it is not easy to erase over 2000 years of behaviour, that was bred into them by nature. There will always be chows, no matter how domesticated ( and this includes many other breeds), that are simply not interested in being everyone's friend. ( Just like us). Ask yourself if you like being touched by everyone you bump into - yet we expect our dogs to do this). The spitz group ( with includes chows), will always have a propensity to want to be away from the limelight, but that doesn't mean or make them unsociable. It just means that they are willing to socialize at "their" level of acceptance, and it is up to you to respect that and not place them in situations that will cause an unwanted reaction. Not all chows are good in social settings, no matter how hard one tries to make them and part of your success will be to properly evaluate, understand and respect whatever personal limitations your chow may have.

The problem with people is that they see a fluffy chow and instantly interpret that this should be a cuddly, lovely thing of sorts. There is nothing farther from the truth.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

Yes, I was visiting a rescue group located on a farm in Illinois, walking and checking out a chow they had, when a little girl about 6-7 years ran up, exclaiming what a beautiful dog, and threw her arms around its neck! Fortunately, this was a VERY calm chow and nothing happened. Her mother didn't appreciate the graphic detail I went into telling her what could have happened to her child.