Chow random freak outs.

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow random freak outs.

Post by trry »

Hello everyone,
My chow is just turn a year old last year and he has been great, couldn't ask for a better chow. Lately, he has been doing random freak outs. I am trying to rationalize it but come up empty...

Here are some examples of his freak outs.
1. Sleeps soundly in my room on the floor and my mom will come in to pet him good night but would jump up and bark at her. Keep in mind my mom feeds him every time when I am work. He is very close to my mom since she takes care of him in my absence. She spoon feeds him his meals! So I don't know why he was barking at her. This happens to my brother and dad too.

2. When sees a squirrel will try to nip the person so he can chase the squirrel...

3. When he sees a guest in the house. I try to go up with them and introduce them to him but he would growl and run down the hallway.

Overall great just these random out burst/nipping needs to be corrected.

How do i address these behaviors?
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow random freak outs.

Post by NanouetJon »

1, Sleeping chow. I would suggest that your mom or anyone approaching any sleeping dog make noise or make the dog aware you are there before petting them. Good idea for humans too. If you startle a dog or chow they will barking and then realize who is there, but there is always that wake up period.

2. Nipping to chase the squirrel. The nip is to make you aware that there is a threat in the yard. Your best bet would be to notice first or before they do and tell them everything is fine. If it gets to the point of nipping you are being told that you are taking your guard the yard responsibilities serious enough. BUT, you never can except biting or nipping. using our mouth is NEVER! There for a Sharp NO!

3. Guest in the house. The chow has three choices: FREEZE, FLIGHT or FIGHT. Your chow is choosing Flight which is better than the other two. You need to practice saying hello to guests and socialization.Bring the guest into the house, shake hands or have a physical contact with them. When we touch another human the chows sees this passive behaviour as our accepting. The running away is an insecurity. Once they see you have handle on the guest they will trust your judgement and accept them too.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Nanouet, thank for your feedback......

I think my chow is becoming more aggressive he is barking towards my brother when he comes home. So now my brother is fearful to pet the chow since he jumps up and barks at him for no reason. Is it because the chow doesn't see my brother as an alpha? I find it weird since chows stay loyal to household. Am i missing something?

please advise...

thansk!

edit:
I socialize the little guy quite often. I take him to pet allowed stores, dog parks and et al.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I agree with NanouetJon. You should always let a chow know that you are approaching. It is easy enough to make a noise first. My two will bark at me and my son when we come in the house and they are not expecting us. I call them so that they know it is me. You are going to have to work with your chow with strangers entering the house. I always have mine sit when someone comes into the house, or when meeting people in public. I feel that having them sit indicates to them that they should relax. I am not sure about that squirrel situation. Ursa gets really excited when she sees a squirrel, but she has a happy excited bark and does not nip, but looks at me as if to say. "Please let me chase after the squirrel."

I suspect that your dog knows your brother is fearful, and your dog is reacting to that. You, your brother and your dog need to work on that. Your brother will have to learn not to be fearful, and you will have to teach your dog not to react toward your brother. I am not sure the best way to handle that situation. It would be best if you knew when your brother was coming home (text message perhaps?), so you could have your dog remain seated or down, and tell him not to react to your brother. You might have to give your dog "time out" periods if he does react. Perhaps other members will offer additional suggestions.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Code: Select all

I socialize the little guy quite often. I take him to pet allowed stores, dog parks and et al.
Yes, but have you taken this dog to obedience school, and given it an education?

From what you are saying the unwanted behaviour is escalating, not improving.
You owe it to your dog to work this with a qualified individual who can arm you with appropriate tools to stop the unwanted behaviour immediately and skillfully.

I think it's great that you're reaching out for help and recognizing that you have a problem in the works, but please consider getting profession help with this chow, before things get out of hand.

Last week two chows who came to us for help had crossed the line of no return and had to be euthanized simply because their owners waited TOO long and watched too many TV programs and tried to solve the problem on their own.

In the month of September, 4 chows , same story.
In August, one chow.

That's 7 chows dead in less than 3 months because of owner mis-management, so I'm begging you to please take the situation far more seriously and get qualified help.
Thanks and best of luck.
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

Merlin,
Yes, I have taking classes with this chow. The trainer I don't know if he was any good since these were group sessions and he would come help me for a few minutes and then be off saying he doesn't seem to be interested, work with him at home.

Previous freak outs, were always the chow laying down and people come up to him. Do they not like being approached by individuals when laying down? Even house holds? What are good ways to tell him his behavior barking at household members is a big no. Yelling at him seems to work occasionally but I am looking something that will truly get to him.

New freak out, my mother was taking him for his morning walk and 20 mins in, all of the sudden he started to bite the leash of from his harness. My mother told him no and tug on the leash the chow nipped my mother on her legs (there were some marks) but again even my mother said he has never done this. We've walked him for close to a year same routines just different routes around the blocks.

Ironically everyone who meets him such dog owners at dog parks comment how well behaved he is at the park and other places but I will seek professional help. However, I would like to see if I can remedy this myself since trainers are very pricey and I work 6 days of out of week.

Things I am informing household to do.
1. If chow misbehaves time out in bathroom.
2. He is not allowed to sleep in my room when I am sleeping he is sleeping in hallway. (first night tonight and you hear him whimpering outside my bedroom door) Should he not be allow to come to my room at all?
3. Stop spoon feeding him. My mother loves doing this for him.
4. Try not to be fearful of his barking since brother began fearing him lately.
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Every new "freak out", is your chow climbing up the ladder towards ultimate destruction.

Find a new trainer. Look for a trainer that works rehabilitating pitbull types, teaches guard and protection or does schutzhund obedience or works with aggressive dogs.
These types of trainers are very comfortable working around aggressive dogs and generally are highly successful re-training aggressive dogs. Yes, good trainers are pricey, and that's no excuse for you not to address these issues - and it's generally money well spent. Dog ownership comes with financial responsibility as well as moral responsibility. What would you do if your dog was sick? That can be pricey too.

You may save some money by trying to do this on your own, but you've tremendously reduced your chances of success. If you would have been able to do this on your own, you would have been able to already and the chow would have been raised very differently.
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Merlin has some excellent points. It sounds like your current trainer is not interested in you and your dog. There are trainers out there that can help. Merlin does have contacts and could possible offer names of trainers in your area.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by trry »

That will be great if you can recommend me a good trainer....

I reside in the NJ Union County area or you can email me trainer information dumbfound@gmail.com
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I don't live anywhere near NJ so have no leads for you, but if you seek out the type of trainer I mentioned above, you should have no problems. but I'm sure the Yellow pages will be helpful or any dog clubs in your area.
Better Yet ! Adopt!