Tricks and Commands

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Tricks and Commands

Post by TyChowgirl »

So I'm looking for more ideas for what new things to teach Ty. I felt I needed to restore some training with him as I had been lax and so between revisiting walking appropriately, I've been working on new commands. These are the ones he knows already: Sit, Stay,come, Wait, shake, high five (both ground level and up top and both paws), up, lay down, bow, back up,crawl, leave it, roll over,touch, and "bang bang" or play dead (though it's not as cool and exaggerated yet). I want to teach him twirl or spin,cross your paws, wave, and beg. Anyone else have other suggestions? Roll over is one of the ones he's a bit more careless about. Sometimes he just won't do it.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Tricks and Commands

Post by Rory's Dad »

imagine that, a chow that doesnt want to roll over. Ha.

Seriously, though, thats a pretty comprehensive list you have already. Rory does the twirl, although we call it circles and tell him he's impersonating a toy breed. Pretty easy one to teach, just get him to follow the training treats.

Stay is a tough one for us, he doesnt really like the separation part. Kinda of a silly one, but its good for control (minimal success so far), is tail down.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I have been successful this week in teaching him to wave and crossing paws is almost complete, he kinda bends the one under. Spin is proving difficult because he's getting half way around and then turning the other direction lol. I really don't know if he'll have the appropriate balance for beg. He can jump up, but sitting up with their back legs may be hard. So tail down? How does one teach that? His tail is down when he's nervous or uncomfortable with situations...
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not clear on the beg...Rory does 'up' no problem. He is back on his hinds though.We just pull the bait up and back over his head and he pulls up on his hinds, not standing on them though, so it might be different.

For tail down, we instruct 'tail'. Since its normally along his spine and wagging, we are physically placing it behind him, sorta tucked and baiting him then. He gets it about 30% of the time right now. Its odd to watch him go from full waggy butt to down tail. Shows some good control skill though.

I would like to get him to do an eye cover, but havent quite figured out how to approach that.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Yea, Ty can jump up no problem. I was thinking sitting up on his haunches may be an issue. Cover your eyes!Or play shy or be bashful...yes! That's a good one, though it may be hard. I read that if you loop the leash in over their nose loosely they'll try to bat it off and then you reward them with the key word too. I'll see if we can do that one.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgJlVRc ... ure=relmfu
This guy is pretty good. My friend found him on youtube and was teaching her lab how to wipe her paws from his little tutorial. So I'm going to try his cover your eyes.Tape would work so much better than a leash. I have a clicker, I'm not the best at it. I'm better with timing on the treat and good boy and adding another step throws off my timing.