Chow treats and training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow treats and training

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi everyone

I'm trying to set aside 30 mins a day for training with Lola but everytime I do this she walks off give me evil looks and won't listen to what I'm saying
I try tempt her with treats I got a huge selection box of treats and not one of them she likes I have tried with chicken and she chews and spits out she doesn't like bones and I did try her with cheese yesterday which she liked and was only a little bit but this morning she had 3 poos in the space of 45 mins and they were soft so must of upset her a bit

How can I train her when no treat seems good enough
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Chow treats and training

Post by Judy Fox »

You cannot pin a puppy down to 30 mins. a day for training and that is that.
Training is an ongoing thing - it is like having a small child - it goes on all the time that you are with the puppy - you talk to here while you are with her and say for example, you go into another room and she starts messing about, chewing the table leg for example, you stop her and give her a toy.
At 9 weeks old, she is too young for formal training but she is old enough to be learning the rules of the household.
As for food, you should put her food down for her - for example, put the lunchtime food down and encourage her to eat it. If she doesn't, give her enough time, say half an hour then take it up. When teatime comes try her again and chances are she will eat it.
The first thing I think you should do is sort out the water problem because if she has a urinary tract infection that will make her feel bad and will upset all sorts of things.
Then when that is sorted try her with some Bakers puppy food mixed with a little tinned meat - don't add water to it - it does not need it. The dry food will not swell in her tummy. When my Matilda was 9 weeks old I would put say half a mug of meal and quarter of a can of meat and she would eat it up nicely.
I think the first thing you should do is sort her water drinking out. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi judy

Yep I do all those things sorry should of made myself clear if she chews I go urgh or bites me or the cat I tell her there and then when I said 30mins training I meant I get treats out and try get her to sit lay etc but your saying to young for that ?

Going to vet next week they said had to note how much she drinks but she does drink a lot and wees loads to if we outside in 20 mins she will bout 6 times some if it dribbles not a whole wee I didn't know if maybe just marking as I have another female dog
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh I see what you mean - I am sorry - no it isn't too young to try to get her to sit and so on - but with chow chows, sometimes they can be different. What you have got to do is to realise you have a baby chow chow not a baby dog! 8)
They can be right "Snotty Totty" little madames even at a young age and if she does not see the need to sit for a treat, she won't! :lol:
Keep at it - she is still a baby and hasn't been with you long.
Little Moo! She is certainly training you well into how to have a chow chow. \:D/
I still think that once you have sorted the drinking out things might improve. :)
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Judy was spot on when it comes to training a baby chow. It happens all day long. Respecting the rules of the house.

It terms of training to sit and stay, lay down, give paw. Try teaching one at a time. Sit is usually the first. But with chows a formal training session is tough. I started by sitting, Food was presented but not given until they sit, no treats until they sit, walks started by sitting. No cuddles until they sat. They learn very quickly.

A key command for chows that is often forgotten is " Look at me me" I want your attention. Since they have selective hearing (just stubborn, and of their own mind) this command is useful. When you tell the to look at you and then you give another command it works much better. To get them to look at you, I used food or a treat and waved it in front of their nose and then brought it up to my eyes. Worked like a charm.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, I had forgotten to mention that Nan-Jon - the little baggages won't look at you if they don't want to listen to you! :lol:
My two are just 3 yrs. old now and Matilda especially will turn away from me if say I want her to come in and she does not want to. I then say "Tilly, look at me" then when she does, I tell her to come in again. Maisie is the same but not quite so blatant as Matilda. :D
Dannyhill
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dannyhill »

Yes, Getting training with them is quite difficult for me, because I already don't like pets that much.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

NanouetJon is right. Training is a full time event. You should have your dog sit or respond to other commands throughout the day. Mine are supposed to sit before I open the door, put down the food bowl, and in other instances. You should establish a routine to make following commands a part of the daily routine. I don't routinely use treats, but do use them occasionally. I do praise them every time.