Puppy keeps barking at cats

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Puppy keeps barking at cats

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi

Just a little advice my pup Lola keeps getting my cats into a corner and barking and then trying to bite I say no no Lola and she doesn't care just barks louder also should I be concerned by this behaviour as would hate for her to harm them x
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Puppy keeps barking at cats

Post by wokman »

I cannot tell you what to do, but I would be concerned if I were you, the cat may strike Lola in the eye with a swipe of its paw. Also it does sound to me like Lola is learning aggression which is not what you want. If she grabs the cat, kitty may be no more and you will have a hard time stopping her from following her primal instincts again. :twisted:
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi
When you say learning aggression do u mean picked up by me as I don't think I have done anything to make her aggressive I give her lots of hugs and playtime and 10 mins each day of training and when she with cats I say play nicely snf if she doesn't say urgh noise and no Lola no bad girl any advice much appreciated x
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Hi Tan, we have four Ragdoll cats and Rio (chow) he still barks at our cats, but it is not aggression, he generally wants to get to them through the safety gates. When he does get to one, usually our bi-colour Blueberry, he will stand over him and lick him to death, he ends up looking like a drowned rat.
When he was younger, right or wrong, I used to put myself in between Rio and the cats. They can co-habit but you have to put the boundaires inplace very early on. Chows are genetically hunters and if your chow sees the cat as prey and is not corrected it will escalate into full blown hunt mode.
Cats no matter how meek will defend themselves, even if they have never shown aggression before, the last thing you want is a claw in your chows eye.
Try this, whenever your Lola looks like she is going in the direction of one of your cats, get yourself in between them both, make Lola sit, this may help to switch her mood, once you think she is calm, step to one side and tell her 'gently' or whatever word works for you, if you have taught her bite inhibition use the same word you used for that. Also train your cats, they also have to know that Lola is part of the family now, if all they have ever seen are other cats, they will have no clue what this huge panting noise-maker is.
You have to let both parties know that any form of aggression is not acceptable. If you have a time-out area and Lola does not get the message, use-it.
There are a few members on here with cats, you have to find what works in your home.
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

thank you for the advice and i will take that on board. today she still very interested in them if they walk past her she will run over to them, trys to sniff and lick or sometimes bite depending on her mood or she will bark and then go for a bite, i tell her no, no lola and she stops for a second and then retrys, i just have to be firmer with her BUT when it comes to food if they try to nick food from her plate she will let them and wont be nasty and if she is sleeping or relaxing she will let them walk past her, if just if she is in a hyped up mood
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

=; I have to remember this is an International community and words, thoughts and Smiles must be chosen carefully or an idea or suggestion may be misinterpreted. :silenced:
I have been reading your Posts and you are obviously a very concerned and caring Chow Chow Parent.
I was concerned for the safety of both your Chow Chow and Cat and did not mean to imply you were teaching them aggression.
Thank you Rio for lending your experience and advice as interpreter and mediator.* :mrgreen: =D= \:D/
Happy belated twenty-first birthday :-oo
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi
You probably think i am a right old worry wart lol, just want to make sure i bring her up right to be a nice dog that everyone loves not just me so i can make the chow chow name a good one for everyone to remember :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Not sure this will help or not, but have you heard different types of barks in your chow. There should be a definitive protection bark, which is mixed in with the growl. There is also the 'attention' bark, which is the come play with me, pet me, adore me bark. And then there is the 'i dont know what to make of you' bark, higher pitched almost questioning.

These could be pretty good indicators of what your chow is thinking when he sees the cats. Try to follow her lead.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Rory's Dad, that is excellent advice. That is clue into what the puppy is thinking.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Here comes my Cat and Chow story.
Simba is what I call the "bully". He is not a bit aggressive, but he has this "right down into your face" approach. So his idea of approaching Chibi our Persian Cat is, to run towards her and give her a good lick and push her, so they can play catch or whatever he is up to. Of course this isn't at all what Chibi would like to see, a 40 pound locomotive trying to run her over. :D
So she goes into hiding or up, luckily the girl isn't aggressive either. Nala is a complete different Chow, she walks towards Chibi and stops half a meter away. So Chibi is showing interest now to get her to know. There you see, no recipe available for the Chow and Cat relationship building. Listen to the bark is a very good suggestion.
I wouldn't think your Chow is trying to bite, but just like to do what I call "mouthing". The favorite game of Nala and Simba. But then, I don't see your Chow doing it, and in the end he really tries to bite. Therefore listen to the bark, watch his body language and never let him alone with the cat. We have separate spaces for Chow and Cat. Only if the cat wants to come to the dog territory they meet.
Best regards
Pinoy51