is it to young to train a pup

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

is it to young to train a pup

Post by Tan160581 »

my pup is 8 weeks old and i have been trying to get her to sit before we do anything and she just ignores me pushes into me and does what she wants, i have tried to be firm but she wont budge, my family said oh wait til she is 12 weeks but i am sure you have advised me when i was thinking about getting her it starts right away unless i was dreaming lol
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: is it to young to train a pup

Post by Cam Atis »

8 weeks is the ideal time. Younger the better. Ever heard of the saying: You can't teach old dog new tricks?
Start with the basic. The "sit" command. Here's how you do it. When you say "SIT -name-", you have to re inforce your command by holding your pup's collar and guiding or push his or her hips down, even bend his/her back legs so that he'll be in a SIT position. Once done, say immediately your praise: "Good boy!" and then while he is still sitting, give the reward (a prized food or tasty treat) to him. Repeat to about 4-5 times per session.
Repeat that every time you see each other or before putting down his dish every meal. Soon he'll be sitting even before you say the command. In such case, I just praise or most of the time I even ignore the initiative - because I did not give a command so that's how it works. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND..
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

Congratulations on your new pup. I remember the days. My advice from reading all of your posts is just to chill out a little bit and take everything one day at a time. This pup is only 8 weeks, just a baby. Everything will take time. It seems like you are trying to accomplish everything right now. As you know chows are so super smart so the pottying, the sitting, the whining will all take time to teach the correct behavior. My advice at this time is lots of love and spending time with him/her and probably just working on the pottying for the next couple of weeks. It won't take long. Just consistency. The sitting will almost come naturally with age and of course good treats! Matilda is took one time and she didn't forget. Not to say she can't be stubborn some times, but hey that's why I love her. Any ways hope this helps and look forward to seeing lot's of pictures.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

She is 8 weeks old and will recognise when you are happy with her behaviour and when you are not. Do not be too hard on her and start introducing key words. Decide what word you want to use for "spending a penny" and then when you take her out keep saying it to her and when she does tell he she is a good girl for "whatever word you choose".
Then choose the word you are going to use for telling her to stop doing what she is doing i.e. "No" or "Aah no" or whatever.
Then choose how you are going to call her for her dinner. I taught my girls from a very young age to sit and give a paw for their dinner - not because I wanted them to beg for their meal but it is a nice quiet moment and now Matilda and Maisie are grown up, if they want something they will sit and offer a paw. For example, if they want to go out or if they want to go into the kitchen for a drink and the door is closed.
These suggestions are the beginnings of training and make for setting the boundaries - what you expect and what you won't allow. More serious training will come later. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)