pup not asking to go out or using paper

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

pup not asking to go out or using paper

Post by Tan160581 »

sorry to be a pain
day 1 of puppy so everything new but everywhere i read or hear people say they so clean , if i take her out she goes to wee, but she is drinking so much when i take her out she will do 3 in the space of 10 mins, but when she is indoors she wont ask to go out and will just go anywhere even through i have paper by the door for her, what do you recomend that i do, i take her to where she should go on the paper by the door but she thinks its a game and not interested x
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: pup not asking to go out or using paper

Post by Ursa's daddy »

There is some training on both your parts that will have to go on here. Small puppies do not have good bladder control. That is just the way it is. When they do give a signal, it may not be very obvious, and the time between the signal and wetting the floor can be minimal. A lot of patience is required.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

at day 1 there can be no expectation that they will know what you want them to do. you will need to teach her what her home is. once that is learned, very unlikely she will mess her home. you will need to walk her and show her the expected areas.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Day 5? how is your puppy now? If she is still her mischievous self, pooping anywhere, it is time to crate her. Just to teach her that. You will notice she wont poop inside her crate and will cry whenever she needs to go (now if you ignored the crying... you'll be shocked if she decides to poop inside the crate and you have nobody to blame but yourself)
Everytime a puppy ate, pooping comes after having a meal. So you can predict when to take her out. It takes them 5 minutes to 20 minutes to do their business. and you have to be patient
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

As I said on another thread, teach her the word you decide to use and then talk to her about it.
Take her out and say "Come on - good girl - do you want to ( word)" and when she does, which she eventually will, say "Good girl for (word)" and make a big thing about it. Meanwhile, put newspaper down in several places - i.e. in the kitchen by the back door, in the kitchen by the other door, in the room leading off the kitchen by the door, maybe even by the front door and if she stoops to spend a penny pick her up quickly and put her on the nearest paper and then say "Good girl for (word)" . Quite quickly she will sort it out.
Then after she has eaten say to her "What do you want? do you want to (word)?" then take her out and again praise her.
The thing is, you have to teach her how to ask you to go out.
This all sounds complicated but it does really work out quite quickly.
You have to talk to her. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Well said Judyfox.

You could take a piece of newspaper out and rub it in the pee and bring it back inside. That way it will smell like a pee spot. Therefore attaching newspaper to pee.

The best way to get your chow to WANT to go outside is to go out often and reward the behavior. Rule of thumb I was given Age(months) + 2. So a 2 month hold SHOULD be able to hold it for 4 hours. We took our puppies out every single hour and yes there were tiny pees. We rewarded with Huge party of GOOD Puppy. YEAH! Soon she became excited to pee and would rush to the door and then rush and pee and run to us for praise. Take them out 4 minutes after eating and right away in the morning.

If you restrict the amount of area they have to roam free in the home this will help. They could see a room as a great place to pee because they never go in there. Chows wil not make a mess in a place they live, very clean dogs.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes I have done that - when my Matilda was a baby , when she spent a penny on the paper I told her she was a good girl and picked the paper up and put clean paper down but rubbed it on the paper already wet.
Doesn't take long before they get the message and I think itd is important to teach them the words "What do you want!" and offer a hand for their paw then they learn very quickly to ask for something - then you have to work out what it is they want. :wink:
Again, doesn't take long. :D
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

whoo hoo i can say that from yesterday this bit is sorted she asks to be taking out and if for some reason i am not around when she wants to go to the loo, she will go on newspaper, thanks everyone xx
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

That is chow for you. Learns things lickety split! House broken, DONE!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Told you she would soon get the message - chow chow pups are quick to learn and they do not like messing their house. :lol: \:D/
Now - the other things - cats - just keep on about it and she will do as she is told -eventually. Little Baggage! :lol: