Occasional Behavior Issues

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Max's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Occasional Behavior Issues

Post by Max's Mom »

Hi All!

I am obvoiusly brand new to this forum but was hoping some of you may have advice. I have a wonderful almost 7 year old, male, neutered purebred cream chow. I have had him since he was 9 months old, adopted from the Humane Society after he became too much for someone.
A little about Max...He is fantastic with children, other dogs, and people in general. He goes to doggie daycare and is fully socialized. BUT, maybe once every couple of years he has incredible aggression aimed at me. The first time happened when he was about 18 months old, I tried to move his treat, and I have a scar on my leg due to that (I then fed him by hand for a couple of months, and treats were no longer given) This growling snapping has happened maybe 4 other times, and not in relation food. The latest episode was yesterday, he waits for the mailman everyday, then tries to kill him through the window on the porch. (I am concerned for him and the glass window) Normally, when he starts to get wound up, I can pick him up and put him in the back hall or outside in the backyard. But yesterday, when I got between him and the window he nipped my arm.
Any thoughts on how I can curb the aggression? The frustrating thing is that is happens so infrequently it's impossible to pinpoint when it will happen again.
Thank you all!
Max's Mom
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Occasional Behavior Issues

Post by Cam Atis »

get mad with max everytime it happens in so few a time it happened. If Max surprised you with his behavior and you did nothing, he shall repeat it like what he is doing with you. YOu know, keeping you in line. YOu are out of line, so he needs to show you your place. Because it has been happening , you need to enforce your leadership to him I think for several times when he does that.
Dont you think "Incredible aggression" is too strong a word to describe Max's behavior towards you? Does he punctured your skin every time? You have to be prepared to fight it with him should you do a scruff grab and shake or alpha roll. these are extreme measures and you must know what comes next and be prepared for it should his challenge becomes too much. Such far and between blips in his rather docile behavior are the ones you should have nipped at the earliest to keep him in line. Guess you have to wait for a couple of years again before you try this technique huh?
:D Goodluck to both of you. Still pals but sometimes you need to let him know you are the leader.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Occasional Behavior Issues

Post by NanouetJon »

When Max bites you or pushes you away or steps infront of you, his message is clear, you are NOT his master and he is taking control. I would be greatly insulted if I was you.

The correction you did with food was spot on. Own his food. It is your food until you let him have some.

Window aggression and territory is the same thing. OWN your window, Own your front yard.

First start with the window. He no longer can come within 3 or 4 feet of the window. It is yours and he has to respect it. Sometimes it may mean grabbing a book and sitting down against the window and not allowing him to come into that space. Spend an hour or so reading in this space, or grab a laptop and write us a message on how it is going. If he does, you shoo him out and refuse entry. MINE! A good behavior would be for him to sit 5 feet back and lay down. That would be great. Reward that distance and behavior. When you cannot be there, put a barrier around that place, a piece of furniture. He needs to learn that is not his place or his role. The key is consistency. Not one or two days and then let him back. This is the new rule and he will live by it. Give the reward outside of this zone as well.

If the mailman or people approaching is a problem, you will need a helper. One person inside claiming the window space and you outside. Welcoming the mailman. Physical contact with the mailman if possible. Tell him you are training your dog and you would like him to see you shaking your hand. You just told your chow that you decide you comes and goes. Not your chow. If you cannot be home you need to restrict his vision so he doesn't the mailman.

Listen to your chow and his anxieties. When he sees or thinks he sees something, they typically will Huff, pant, ears go up, head up and alert. Talk to you chow and say "Thank you, I got it" make a move towards the window and look out and then in a calm voice " all good" If they don't lower the excitement then you need to calm them. sit, lay and then pet them to submission. Then reward the behavior.

Biting, mouthing and even moving towards a mouthing are NOT acceptable. Maddoxx out of instinct has moved his head quickly to mouth me (I was grooming out knots). I felt it, he never puts a tooth or opens his mouth around my arm, just the quick move and he gets the evil eye from me. He will roll on his side and goes into a natural submission mode. He knew he crossed the line. But I too got the message , my grooming was hurting him. So I move to another area and come back later much gentler. Its a discussion without words. I listen to him and he listens to me. Both are respectful of each other. The best bond I could hope for.