We are already making progress with training

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dominic1964
Rank 0
Rank 0

We are already making progress with training

Post by dominic1964 »

I will be the first to admit that I did not understand the chow mentality. After having read quite a bit here I feel I am already making progress with Sandy. Here are the steps I am taking thus far...

1. She is no longer first to do anything. When we go for walks my other 2 dogs go first. She is made to sit while leashing her and then wait while the other 2 go out. I then tell her 'okay' to release and she goes next followed by myself.

2. They are all given treats upon coming in. My rott x sits automatically, my heeler and chow are now being made to sit before they get there treats. The chow is being given hers last.

3. When the door is open weather permitting and she barks at anything that moves I now immediately get up, have Sandy sit and make her stay and watch rather than bark. (she is doing really well at this on her own already...not sitting without being told but more watchful rather than the barking/I want to eat you mentality)

So far these simple things are helping. I think over all she is just to wound up in being protective which is her nature but she is/was extreme about it.

Yesterday I finally found a 20ft. cotton training lead. I had been using a long nylon rope that I had turned into a lead. The cotton lead is much easier to work with and allows her much more room to play and do zoomies when we are on our walks.

We have lots of lizards here and when we came back from our walk she spotted one and lunged. I had already shortened the lead as were getting ready to come in. I made her sit which she held for about 10 seconds before the lizard moved and she broke the sit. I made her sit again and that time she held for about 30 seconds. The 3rd time she held until I released her with "okay". I think I need a better word than "okay"...what do you guys use?

As you all already knew and I did not, the training I feel is already calming her.

The shock collar is NOT on her and I do not wish to use it.

All I needed was to be steered in the right direction with her and the reading I have done here has helped so much.

Now if you are still with me I need some advice on how to break her from attacking the heeler. Should I have someone come and knock on the door while she is on leash at my side or ??? I'm afraid that will only teach her she can't get away with it only while she is on the leash.

She is a stubborn girl but very intelligent. Because of the stubborness I am afraid it will be quite some time before I can get her in a 'sit-stay' or 'down stay' that is dependable enough to keep her from attacking. I cannot seperate them as the layout of my RV does not permit that and that would not be solving the problem only applying a band aid.

I am very much enjoying working with her and although it is taking a large toll on my body I am committed to making this work.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: We are already making progress with training

Post by Sarahloo »

Get a muzzle! That way she can't do him any harm during the training!
dominic1964
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dominic1964 »

Thank you saraloo. I have to go to a larger town tomorrow to my pain management doctor. They have a pet smart there I think. Is there any particular brand that is better for a chow?

Edited...Sandy's muzzle is not near as short as a full blooded chows. I wish I could take her with me so as to make sure I get a good fit but that isn't possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to look for in a good muzzle? I have no experience with them whatsoever as I have never encountered this problem before.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i have read both this post and your other a couple times over. My take on this is that it is definitely a pack order issue. If the problem only presents itself when an unknown entity knocks on the door, Sandy is viewing the residence as hers to protect and no one elses. That could explain her attacks on the heeler. She views that as her job and is resenting the interferrence.

It may be difficult with your physical limitations, but you need to assert the space as yours. You will control who is welcome and who is not. As long as you say 'OK', it is not up to any of the dogs. I would recommend gating the door area. That way, none of the dogs get to 'greet' your guests. They wait until you get to the door and make a decision. Talk to the dogs, assure them when its ok, then remove the barrier and let them meet your company. It shouldnt take long for your Chow to catch on. If the dogs argue behind the gating, then consider other methods to control the aggressiveness, but i think that wont be needed.

Of course the additional exercise and attention is great for Sandy, but if you are further disabled from it later, then it is going to disrupt your intention. You need to assert yourself as the leader, but dont set the pecking order beyond that. The dogs need to find their own spot, as long as it is behind you. Otherwise, they will continue to be confused. Setting Sandy last in line for everything, if thats not where she belongs will continue to cause her to try to 'move up'.

I agree with others that a shock collar is probably not the best option for this situation, but will not berate you for something a vet recommended. Good for you to consider that is may not be right for you.

Lastly, i know that getting the dogs out the door can be an issue. Your Chow will pull for the hills as soon as she sees daylight. Putting her 1st out to save your health is still going to be an issue with the pack order. Perhaps a trolley run for all the dogs to get started and then you meet them outside and rehook with leads for the walks?
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

Here is a little clarification on pack order:

Humans become the leader by performing. Dogs don't. So oldest or youngest is not the order. First to sit down or behave is not pack leader either. As humans we reward the first to behave.

Your dogs will show who your leader is. It sounds like the Chow is. Do some tests with him. Who walks out the door first? Who eats first? You answers the door first? if it is always the chow then your answer is your chow is the pack leader.

Now hold on. I forgot to mention YOU are the real leader. Then Chow, then ....

A dog will bark and guard the door because they think you aren't. My chow will see someone approaching or the door is knocked on. They bark once and look at me. This is my warning " HEY THERE IS A DANGER!"
I have my job as packleader to do something. I instantly thank Maddoxx " Merci Maddoxx, I got the door" I get up calmly and walk to the door. He is right behind me, that is his place, behind me!

When and if I am lazy and ignore or do not move quickly, he will whine once and then start barking. Translated " Hey leader, you are not taking this seriously, Ok then I got this one WOOF WOOF WOOF"

I also no longer let them look out the front window during the day because they learned barking worked. Whenever they saw someone, they barked and the person never attacked. So the barking worked. Took me forever to untrain this. No when I am not at home, they get no vision outside and their anxiety is lowered because they do not have to guard. Anxiety reduced.

Treats: Your pack leader gets the first one and then the next. If my packleader is misbehaving then we all wait until the desired behavior is completed. In my house treats are ONLY given if they are sitting. I never had to teach the youngest because she would keep looking at Maddoxx and when he sat he got his treat, well sure enough she sat down and got hers too.

When you give a junior dog something (treat, door, food) before the leader you confuse them and they may take it upon themselves to prove to you their leadership, and this may be by dominating the other dogs. Our job is to be the Supreme leader and acknowledge their roles in priority.

It can be fun re-learning pack order versus human order. Once you figure out pack order and start affirming it, you see great results. My alps (Maddoxx) is the best behaved chow, the vet loves him and tells everyone about the docile black chow who takes everything in stride. My proudest moment was when she told me that I totally changed her opinion of the breed.

Remember in all this YOU are the Leader first and you have responsibilities too. Barking, whines, nudges are them trying to tell you something.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Sigmund Freud would be proud of you Nanouetjon!