food aggression

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

food aggression

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Here is a link from the ASPCA..http://www.aspcapro.org/blog/2012/08/q- ... -prove-it/
There are several more on the site.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: food aggression

Post by Rory's Dad »

i have no experience with rescue dogs, but plenty with chows. my solution has always been to feed partial servings. 1/2 up front, then let me pick up the bowl and give a bit more. this works really well with wet foods, cause i tell the dog i am helping him out, and scoop the corners of the bowl to make it easier for him to finish. again, with a dog that already has this issue, it would be tough, but with pups, it ingrains it pretty well so that they dont associate removal with deprivation.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

The point I was trying to make is that the animal shelters need to reevaluate their test on food aggression, especially in light of some of the work done by the ASPCA. Additionally, they are beginning to recognize the errors of breed specific legislation. Unfortunately, our chows end up being deemed food aggressive at all to many shelters. Tomorrow I will be with a fund raising event for a local rescue group. I will have my two there and try to educate a little about chows.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Goodluck to your endeavor. Keep us posted.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

It seems insane to judge a dog who has lost everything on how well it deals with yet another thing being taken away from him.

Good luck with your educational endeavour! %%-
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hmmm. Sarahloo has a point. Anyway such evaluations makes it easy to see which dog has a lot of patience than those whose straw are broken already.