Possible problem developing

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Possible problem developing

Post by Rio »

Hi all, I would really appreciate some insight. Rio has just turned 6 months and he has started waking through the night and barking until we go downstairs to him. He will squeeze a wee out but when it comes to going back to bed it is hit and miss. He used to sleep from about 10pm until 5-6 am,when we first got him right up until the last few weeks.
Any advice? One other thing once we get up at around 5 or 6am he goes right back to sleep.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Possible problem developing

Post by Cam Atis »

Dogs are nocturnal by nature. Dont worry about it if he sleeps in the morning till about 9 - 10am. I'm afraid that'll be his routine in the next few weeks or months. They guard that's why they are more active during the night and has been listening for any signs of intrusion from outside. He pee'd a little (he is marking territories) and i hope he does it with dog-nity hehehe. That is : one leg raised.
He also wanted to inspect outside. Thing is, you'll get up also during the night.
sandyin29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sandyin29 »

I suggest for this puppy what all German Shepard owners already know. Exercise, run, play, throw balls, whatever it takes to tire him out completely. (Swimming is best if he enjoys it. A deeply exhausting full-body workout.) He'll still want to walk the property sometimes, or maybe actually need to pee, but only if its not too much work to get you to get up.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Rio, is he confined to downstairs or is he just downstairs? My two sleep upstairs with us and are comfortable with it. Malachi will stay downstairs waiting until I go up to bed, and Kitty (wife) tells me that Ursa is nervous and doesn't sleep until I come upstairs. Generally, they are quite until sunrise. The little dogs sometimes HAVE to go out, and we will take them out. They have made a mess in the bed. (People who sleep with dogs are not right in the head, and I have never admitted to being right in the head!) As long as there is not strange noise (Malachi will protect us from the owl), the dogs will sleep all night.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Rio wrote:Hi all, I would really appreciate some insight. Rio has just turned 6 months and he has started waking through the night and barking until we go downstairs to him. He will squeeze a wee out but when it comes to going back to bed it is hit and miss. He used to sleep from about 10pm until 5-6 am,when we first got him right up until the last few weeks.
Any advice? One other thing once we get up at around 5 or 6am he goes right back to sleep.

One thing is almost sure, if you keep going downstairs after he barks, he will learn that barking means you will come and cuddle him. Perhaps you should leave him a blanket you have used or shirt you have worn...the scent will comfort him. Also, as sandyin29 suggests, make sure he is good and tired before putting him down to sleep.
NanouetJon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NanouetJon »

If your chow barks and you wake up and go downstairs, then your chow has done a great job of training you. Soon it will be two barks and a huff for a cookie.

My chows sleep in my bedroom (but not on the bed). If they are within yelling distance. I would suggest you train a command. For us it is "bedtime"

When I say "bedtime" my chows head into the bedroom and lay down.

Marru at 6 - 9 months would wake and come and bump or huff at me to wake up. If you see an earnest pee then they merited it. But often it was more of a wish to take a look outside and do a perimeter check. So at night now she will get a "bedtime". If she really has to go, she will laydown and then get back up and whine or scratch the side of the bed. That to me means it is serious.

I go out with her and makes sure it was really urgent matter. The as she comes in there is no cookie or playing. Command "bedtime" she trundles off to the bedroom and lays down.

Today the chows sleep through the night with no issues. If I am woken with hotbreath and a huff, its one of my chows asking politely to go out.