Doesnt want to eat out of Bowl?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Doesnt want to eat out of Bowl?

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Hi Chow Friends!
Hoping you could give me some insight... can't figure out the link....to the issue...
Clover normally eats her breakfast and dinner no issue and is excited, it can be dry or mixed with water, she is happy either way.
Over the last 2+ weeks she has decided that she doesnt feel like eating- whether dry or with water mixed..it can sometimes take her all day to finish breakfast (of course, dry) dinner in tow.
A week into the issue we decided well maybe she is just sick of her food.. grad. switched over to different flavor, same brand (Blue Life Protection)
HOWEVER.. there is the exception if I hand-feed her (trust me- that is not, and will not happen on a regular basis) & she eats treats no problem.
She has also decided to do the 'faux' hiding with her bowl, and then walks away from. The only other thing is actually 'hides' is our socks... yup... our socks...
Sometimes I will put the bowl on the floor (it has a little stand) she will eat- but there is no rhythm or reason- as she will eat when in the stand as well.
Thinking it could be the heat, but the A/C is on all day while we are at work, or she is at petsmart- so the 'summer heat' as humid as it has been, would not be a valid reason.. maybe instinctual... ok- such a long shot... playing normal with people, dogs, toys.....and to cover the last... yes, bowel movements have been taking place normally.
Maybe its just 'a phase' ?? She will be 10M this month.
Look forward to your follow up, Thanks!
Shannon
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Doesnt want to eat out of Bowl?

Post by Rory's Dad »

just a shot in the dark here, but if you hand feed, then that is more of a treat/reward than an actual meal. i agree not to make that a regular thing.

at 10 mos, she may just be slowing in her eating needs. puppy energy and growth pattern are almost done.

we let ours free feed on kibble, so sometimes he doesnt touch it, other times he will down a full bowl (about a cup), but he eats his specials (cottage cheese for breakfast, he doesnt like yogurt anymore, and either chicken or hamburg for dinner) like a wolf. i know not everyone feeds their dogs like this.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I should have explained better about the hand feeding a few times- my hand is in the bowl with the rest of her food while I am doing this... But completely understand where you are coming from. She is never normally a picky eater... And shockingly anything I give her she will at least try.. Kale stalks she likes to play with and gnaw on for a bit.. It's the joke where only my dog would like Kale... As you said though it could just be slowing in her needs. I do leave it out for her, so she can get nutrition during the day if she's wants
Thanks for he insight- wanted to throw it out there to make sure it want an actual issue that I may not be aware of/addressing
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

completely normal for a chow to go off their food every once in a while. Two weeks ago I was wondering what was up with my two as they were eating up to four cups of dry a day and looking for more, it was hot, but they were playing in the house under the A/C. This week it's cooler, they are still playing but only eating about a cup and a half of food. I have seen a lot of undercoat growth over the past few weeks and it's really showing up now, so it might have been that. Most chows are hard to over feed if on normal dog diets, because they eat what they want and need and then nothing else. And yes they will also take food/treats from you and then hide them for later.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Most dogs and Cassie is no exception, will lose appetite for two weeks when they are undergoing hormonal changes such as when they are in heat. (spaying does not change the body clock nor eliminate the hormonal cycle). In this case, you can hand feed so as to encourage eating, but changing food is not needed. Soon she'll regain her appetite once the heat has ebbed. For male dogs, that's a lot worse because they get agitated whenever there are females in heat around and they can sniff them out for so many meters away.

Another reason for not eating is tiring of food especially if you leave them food all the time. The scent makes them lose appetite. changing for a few days is needed then revert them back to the old one.

Third reason I know is if they are bored to death if you havent had time to spend with them they will not eat. Cure is spend some time and play with them. A few days is all that is needed if you are soo busy.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Thanks Cam. I'll take your suggestions
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

BTW, when we gonna let Rory and Clover hang out? Shows for Chows been really, really slow lately. Lots of bookings and not goings. Just posted a reply to a new member in Cambridge and offered to meet up with Rory to show him Chow attitude.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I thought I replied to this late last night... Guess not!
Would love to get the pups together- long overdue!
August weekends right now are pretty much open (or can be changed etc)
Let me know when would be good for You & Rory!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Ours do this too sometimes and I find two things cure it. One is feeding slightly less with a very small amount of wet tasty food and some water stirred in. And the second thing is lifting the food up if they dont eat till next meal time. Leaving food down all day is not conducive to dogs having to eat and then the food gets stale and they just dont bother (plus they know they dont have to bother!). Competition works well too so another chow may be the answere :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

Thanks everyone for the insights I am going to try bits and pieces of all!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I love that suggestion...another chow is the answer.
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

I'm all for it, never mind finding out there is a breeder in the 'somewhat' area and I wouldn't have to drive to southwestern VA!
... However some in the household may disagree ...
It's this 'damn' job thing ... Its really getting in my way if so many things .. Haha- :-)