Shy to poop....

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Shy to poop....

Post by trry »

Hello,
I plan to take my chow on a road in the near future just up down in the Northeast. However, it never came to my attention but the more I thought of it my chow never poops while someone is there. He would only poop off leash and off in the corner when no one is around. I would try to find him one time and he was pooping furthest part of backyard, he saw me and ran away. I take him on 30min to 1 hour walk and have yet to seen him poop on leash.

So as you can see this is going to be trouble unless I find him a dog park on the way there but this can be troublesome. Any ideas in how to break him out of the shyness?

Thanks,
Terry
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Shy to poop....

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My chow girl was the same way, same as I've heard quite a few are. (Dixie won't do it either) What I've found that works are retractable leashes, as much as I REALLY don't like those.... They give them a free feeling, I think. Plus, it helps if you have access to some bushes they can go into and hide to do their business. Tippsy did that.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Shy to poop....

Post by Cam Atis »

Oh be glad. I know of a puppy who would poop out of being anxious of a new surrounding..(don't tell Cassie as she has outgrown it anyway)

It is not a problem as dogs can withhold that for 12 or even 18 hours. But if it has to go, he'll go even if it is in the middle of the road, he'll go. Wait till you prove what I'm saying. :-)