Feisty

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Feisty

Post by Rio »

The last few times we have taken Rio out on an evening he has (for maybe 2 minutes) begun jumping up at whoever has the lead and trying to grab ,clothes,hands,legs (in my hubbys case he even went straight for the groin area) it only lasts like I said a couple of minutes and then Rio settles down. Usually after a lot of 'bad Rio' comments and very stern looks.
Anyone any ideas?
We have just booked a trainer to start proper lead training and walking in packs, but that is next week.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Feisty

Post by Cam Atis »

Curiously, Cassie went through that kind of thing. Precisely how you describe it. I just can't remember at what age she did it. She have grown out of it. I am racking my head right now as to what I did to curb it. Cassie is also not fixed.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Circumstances surrounding that was: she was off lead for an hour or two outside the house, while I was cooking breakfast, then I initiate putting her on lead about 8am. Sometimes 9 am (same thing at night, about 8pm-9pm)
SO SHE DID WHAT YOU DESCRIBED ABOVE. And it was annoying. Add to that her habit of blocking my path with her body. :-x

I think this is what I did to curb that behavior of her. I did not let her out first or before me. She was let out but the lead was already on! Being on lead, conveys the message that I am to be followed around, not the reverse.

Later, I re introduce that she be out and about before me (purpose of that is to let her run after the birds all she wanted), then I will put a lead on her to begin simple training anytime I want and she does not protest anymore. She's good now.

from time to time now, off-lead, she tries to play-bite (more like a grab) my hand if she wanted attention if her being in a SIT position doesn't elicit a "Cassie, good girl" from me, I used to worry that it was kind of an attempt to boss me around, but I figured she just wants attention. Now she learns to ignore me if I ignore her coz I am doing something... and she make me pay by ignoring me when she has some birds to observe and follow. But she'll come around after some Cassie Come! commands. I said around as she literally will walk around me about an arms length just enough to be out of reach, she'll lurch then run away, then do her zoomies.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Thanks for the replies Cam, it does sound very logical, I do hope it is just a puppy-phase and we can try to correct it. Hopefully the dog-trainer can steer us in the right direction too.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Goodluck. Perhaps you are already wondering why I need to train cassie myself, there are no dog trainer ever available in my province that's why I had to learn it when I first got my first purebreed dog Cookie and dals are a bunch of stubborn dogs too. They trained me hard.
I also think it is a puppy phase. :-)
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Sounds about right, we think we are training them but really it is the other way around, thanks for your tips though.