Has anybody made their chow Sit-Stay?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Has anybody made their chow Sit-Stay?

Post by Cam Atis »

Although I've seen the poster of a chow with "I don't do fetch, sit, stay" message.

Yet I still want to know if there's anyone who has taught their chow to SIT-STAY outside the home. Like if you are shopping and has to get inside the small retailer store for 15minutes and tell your buddy to sit-stay and wait for you patiently outside? I guess this is advance training as far as chows are concerned. There are no dognappers here in my place.

Cassie will sit down for her treat. other than that, no luck. Always alert and as I have recently posted, has finally conquered her suspiciousness and now confident or rather could not wait to go outside her abode and be in front of my drugstore where she sees cars and all sort of traffic you'll see in a rural setting.

I asked Cassie if she thinks DOWN-STAY too much to ask? her asnwer: " /:) "
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Has anybody made their chow Sit-Stay?

Post by TyChowgirl »

Mmm...I've tied Ty to a bench and he's stayed...But sit stay and no tie? Mmm I dunno
yatta5000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yatta5000 »

My Achilles will sit...and go. he"ll sit and stay in the house but outside...I'm lucky if he even sits let alone stay. he did it one day at the park and i was happy but other than that that was the last time. he's still a pup so maybe i can mold him into doing it without treats
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Its relatively easy to get them to sit on command but to get them stay outside a store for 15mins would be a challenge to say the least.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Longest we can get Rio to wait anywhere is when we ask him to 'wait' when crossing a road, so maximum 40 seconds if there is a car lol. I couldn't get my human children to sit and stay for 15 minutes ;)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Izzie learnt thee and many other command in puppy clases and could sit, stay, let me walk the length of the room and come, leave treats on the floor on the way, win musical "down" games, the lot....one week and and refuse to do any of it the next!!! She is a chow and sometime she just wasn't in the mood or couldn't see the point where the spaniel and collies were saying would you like me to stand on my head or shall I nip home and make the lunch! She still sit, stays and leaves when told but in a haphazzard manner that I would never depend on if her life was in danger. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

My Chow mix, Pip used to walk with me to the end of my driveway, and wait for me while I went across the road and into the convienience store. I would be about 10 minutes, and she would then walk back to the house when I crossed back over...does that count?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Definitely and very impressive too :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

\:D/ Hmmm....something to hope for. Of course!
Quite clever Pip was.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

It wouldn't be safe to do that here, so I've not trained it. However, it's just a matter of training an out of sight stay. If you look up training for competition obedience, you can probably find tips, as it's one of the exercises in the Open level. It is basically proofing a stay though as, in theory, if a dog knows the command, they'll wait until released, no matter where their owner is
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sirchow has a good description of chow behavior with Izzie. My two do well with commands in public, soooooo I took them over to a friends house. They became deaf and could not hear me say "sit". What amazed me is that it was both dogs. They must have discussed this in the van while we rode over there. I think it is a matter of overcoming the chow idea to doing what the chow wants to do. I don't know how, but you have to convince your chow that "sit" and "stay" is his idea. What really got to me about the visit is that the week before they went there with me and behaved perfectly.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

I could swore Cassie knew what "sit" means but when there are expectators looking, she says "Huh?"
And she'd go around or under anything when she does not want to go inside yet. It's like playing hide and seek. But her demeanor will change once she saw I got something. Yet if she is not that hungry, she won't come inside.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I never would have trusted Cinder or Tippsy in a sit-stay while I wasn't around. Both of them would have bolted... But if I was keeping a close enough eye on Tippsy, I could have her in a sit-stay or a down-stay off leash, but I never pushed the issue... She proved one too many times she couldn't be trusted... Even though, she did always come back.

Jasper on the other hand, I can put him in a sit-stay or a down-stay and he'll stay until released. He's one who WANTS to please me and do whatever I say.

However, Dixie would never be trusted, as with Cinder and Tippsy. She'd be long gone as soon as I turned my back...

Selective hearing can be a pain at times. ~lol~
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Tippsy'smom wrote:Selective hearing can be a pain at times. ~lol~
It does! :wink: my older brother laughed heartily and said that I believed in my dogs' intelligence too much. I was demonstrating which commands Cassie knew, but she acted as if she didnt understand me. :oops:

BUT she does it all when no one's lookin'. :lol:
kinky_tinxi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kinky_tinxi »

my chow does do sit and stay in the house but never tried out and about as ive been told never to let him off his lead or you will never get him back lol.
Ive found it very easy to train him he gives a paw and plays fetch too all done with bribery of food.
i dont feed my chow anything other than natrual holistic food and treats.
hope this helsp
thanks
stef
spiceywolfe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by spiceywolfe »

My dog Sabbath will sit&stay but as for the length of time? That's all depending on his "mood" for the day. He's also gone through a LOT of professional training.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Black Sabbath is very handsome. I would add that with Pip, she was a stay at home girl. She was willing to go off with any friendly stranger on a walk though...lol. Her only behavioral fault. She was just everyone's friend. When she was young, she crossed our busy road twice. Both times, me or my husband had gone across to buy something at the store, and she snuck after us. Both times we dragged her home by her collar, correcting all the way. So humiliating. We live on a horribly busy street. After that, she stopped at the end of the picket fence.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Since the unfortunate luck of the thief who went inside my lot via the neighbor's lot last sunday, him being seen by me upon his rather innocent and covert entry at 10am! His badluck was I decided I need to put the anti-draft rubber lining on my casement window facing the neighbor's homelot precisely the time he thought I was at work,
sooo I let Cassie loose since then after fortifying the back fence with barbed wires, to wander about our home area. She is not aggressive but seeing a dog wandering about the property will deter any would be thief.
So what's this blabbering about? Well, Cassie to my surprise behaved rather well. I dread each time the gate will be opened for the car to come in and out, she'll bolt out. So she got tethered for the first day everytime the car fetching my kids from school would be driven in and out. About 4x/day. Afterwards the chauffer didnt bother anymore as Cassie will patiently sit and wait or watch them open and close the gate! Like she's saying: "I got it already!". I like to think she knows the "stay inside the property" command. But my hunch is she just dont feel like bolting out.
sandyin29
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sandyin29 »

Sure have. 1. Leave the truck running and the a.c. on full blast. 2. Close and lock the doors.
3. Bring back a small treat and thank him profusely for guarding the truck.

(ah hahahahaha)
dominic1964
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dominic1964 »

sandyin29 wrote:Sure have. 1. Leave the truck running and the a.c. on full blast. 2. Close and lock the doors.
3. Bring back a small treat and thank him profusely for guarding the truck.

(ah hahahahaha)
That actually made me literally LOL!