Obedience Class

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Obedience Class

Post by TiVo's Mom »

TiVo and I made it through our first of six obedience classes today and he was unbelievably (I mean in a "this is a miracle" sort of way) well behaved. Since this was the intro class the instructor spoke for over an hour. TiVo sat and listened for a while then laid down. There was a lot of chaos around us with other dogs jumping, and barking and barking and barking. TiVo was certainly interested but never even barked. I wasn't sure what to expect with him. I'd been thru the class years ago with our shepherd mix and our mal and each experience was different. Once they started the actual training we worked on teaching dogs not to jump, but TiVo's not really a jumper so we watched that exercise. The next was teaching them to sit at your left side facing forward. That was a bit of a challenge, I think more due to me trying to get it right than TiVo not minding. I have difficulty getting him in the correct position. He sits easity. The trainer gives each pet and owner individual attention as he goes around the arena (there were 14 of us) and TiVo backed up a bit when he came to us but he didn't growl or bark and listened to the trainer. Also, during the break I handed him off to another classmate while I went to the bathroom and he was fine with that. At the end of class the trainer came up and petted him and told he it was important for him to be well socialized because chows can become anti-social. He didn't say it in a negative way though since TiVo was obviously one of the most well behaved dogs there. Chows Rule!
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I can't remember. How old is TiVo?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

TiVo will be 6 months old next week.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

I know you asked this in the other thread, so I thought I'd answer you here. I wouldn't use a prong on him just yet. He's still really young, imo. I didn't use a prong on Rogue until he was 11 months old and already over 50 lbs. Rewarding behavior is always better than correcting. I always used liverwurst (a little goes a long way) and didn't feed him for a few hours prior to class. (So if we had a 6pm class, he didn't get dinner until we got home.) You can use the food to guide him into the correct position. But I'm going to tell you that Rogan NEVER sat correctly in heel position (left side, facing front). He was always slightly off. :roll:

Good luck!!!
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Congrats! It sounds like it was a great class. I'm so excited for you guys. I love chows can be surrounded by tons and tons of barking dogs and they are so above that! :wink: Keep us posted about future classes too!
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

Thanks for the good advice. I never thought of liverwurst, that might work better. I quartered hotdogs and he wasn't initially that interested but then he seemed to like them the more he had. I slightly microwaved them first and then patted them down with paper towels so they wouldn't be so greasy but that probably made them less tasty. Also, the class is at 9:30 in the morning and I didn't think not to feed him. That might have helped though since we just sat for so much of the class today I'm glad I did feed him this time.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, I love it when other dogs are kicking off the M & M just sit and watch! :lol: It happens in the waiting room in our vet's surgery. There may be several dogs, all grumbling, whining barking and Mabel will lie down and watch and Milly sit and lean against her and not a sound from either of them. :D I love it.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)