Which Collar?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Which Collar?

Post by Rio »

There are so many different collars and leads and harnesses on the market how the heck do you decide whats best? Wide collars flatten fur,chain collars always look so harsh, roll collars are supposed to be for long-haired doggies, harnesses puts pressure on the chest, need i go on :mrgreen: What do you all use and why?
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Which Collar?

Post by Blackbear »

We use a wide flat padded collar with a choker. Chain choker will matt the fur and harness are a pain to put on.
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

One of the experts on here may be able to better answer your question but I will tell you what I do.

I alternate between a collar and a harness. I had the same fears of one or the other wearing off the fur underneath with long time wear. Usually when we are just hanging out at home she doesn't wear anything.

My chow Hannah has a whole wardrobe of collars and harnesses. Mostly because I get bored easily lol, some of them I buy and others I make. For long walks I like using a harness as she still has times when she pulls. I tried a general leader but she kept getting it off her nose and one time she escaped out of it completely so I no longer trusted it. Hannah had such poor fur/coat when I got her that I am selective in what she wears and for how long. I never let her sleep in either the collar or harness. Also if you get the right kind of harness like the step in kind there is no pressure on the chest when she walks, the pressure is on the shoulders.

As far as leads, I think it is up to your personal prefference. My other dog is a 6lb pom and when we walk he rides in a pet stroller. So I found what worked best for me is o get a 'walkie dog' which is a bicycle attachment and attached it to the stroller. That way when we walk hannah is hooked to the walkie dog and my hands are free to push the stroller. I do have to watch to make sure she doesn't bolt after something and take murphy for a ride with her but so far it's all good.

also personally I would never use a chain collar on any of my dogs, ever.
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

When I bring him for walks harness
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I've just sent for an XtraDog Fleece Harness. The lead attaches at the front so no pressure on chest and works as an anti-pull harness. Apparently the soft fleece is kinder on fur and good for dogs with sensitive skin.
I hate the idea of a collar, and they aren't very mane-friendly either.
When we are just in the house, she wears nothing!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

At home, my two wear nothing. When we lived in the city, they always had their collars on, but that is no longer the case. When we go out in public, I use the regular harness, which some have noted could be used by sled dogs. They initially pull from excitement, because they know it means a van ride to somewhere, but are usually calm when we get there. I like that type of harness because I feel the dogs are secure in it. I just purchased some web collars ~1 inch, 25mm wide to use on walks around the property. The new collars are to indicate to them that we are just walking around and not going for a ride. The problem with chows is that mane, which will allow them to back out of a regular collar, which pretty well necessitates a harness initially for training. The chose of type will depend on owner and dog preference. Choke chains are training aides only. The idea is to get a real clunky one that makes a noise and use a flick of the wrist to make it rasp should the dog start to move ahead of the walker. It is NOT to choke the dog, and should always be worn at full looseness. I am sure this comment will generate discussion. Anyway, a harness is the way to go.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We've always used a thick flat collar but you made me think about getting a roll collars next time we go to the pet store. I believe harnesses are made so your dog can pull. I don't want my dogs to pull so I think I stay away from them. Think of it if you had a horse and you want to control him. The harness is the last one you would use for walking him. In the show ring we use a small roll rope choker and we put it right behind the ears for the most control.
Last edited by 612guy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brutus
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I do pretty much the same between Haylee and Ursa. Ty has an easy walk harness that he wears when we're going for a long walk, an anticipated walk with another dog involved (he gets more excited so he pulls a little then and it's easier to control that with the harness), when we're going somewhere out of town, or when we're going out of the neighborhood. It's got all of his tags on it. So it means business lol. I have an earth dog brand hemp collar and leash (had considered getting an harness to match) that he wears when we're just walking around the block or going in or out of the apartment building on short trips. When he's home, he wears nothing. I too had considered the alternating because of the same reason. I noticed the harness all the time rubbed a spot of fur off his tummy and the collar (when he was a puppy) sort of killed his mane which he barely has because he's mostly one length unlike his brother who has a crazy long mane! So that's what we do. I wanted a rolled collar for him at some point...but I supported the local pet shop down town by buying some of their special products and it looks good on him! I've got it just tight enough that I can notice when he's pulled back a litte (usually because I'm pulling and he's sniffing) I'm sure if he wanted to he could escape it with a little effort, but he knows better and even when he did slip out once or twice when it was looser, stayed still till I fixed it. Oh the hemp fiber leash is way soft and nice after some usage. Nicer on the hands! http://www.earthdog.com/
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

I believe a chow will back out of most collars if you are not careful. If you are worried about this then get a harness. Also collars will chafe if you have a sled dog. We went with a wide padded collar which did help this.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

On my chow girl, Tippsy, I used a rolled leather collar for tags. On walks we always used her Roman style harness; that was, until I got the easy walk harness for her. We also used a choke chain when training.

With Jasper, I used a rolled leather collar for a long time, but he kept breaking them, so, now to me, it doesn't matter what kind of collar he wears as long as it works for holding tags. :lol: And depending on where we're walk/what we're doing, he has a prong collar (for out in public), an easy walk harness (for walks around the neighborhood), and a Roman style harness (for being tied out in the yard).

Dixie wears whatever collar I like on her. :lol: Her collar is just to hold tags too, though. She also has a prong collar (for public outings), an easy walk harness (for neighborhood walks), an gentle leader head collar (for public outings when she's being exceptionally difficult), and her Roman style harness (for being tied out).

My little 6 lbs pomeranian, Todd, has a flat quick release collar. And so far it hasn't messed up his coat either. And he's also got a Roman style harness for walks around the neighborhood and being tied outside. I'm getting him an easy walk harness soon though... Little Hoover thinks he can pull, but I've gotta break that habit...

I have choke chains for them too, but those are only used at bathtime (they get washed outside on the drive way).
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Does the easy walk harness stop them pulling?
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum has a rolled leather collar, which is actually a little too large...he has backed out of it on a few occasions. I probably should try a gentle leader or some other kind of harness, but I hesitate to put anything else over his fur. He only wears his collar on walks; at home he's nekkid.

As an aside, I get asked a lot about why he wears a cow bell, which hangs off his collar. I don't have a reason; I just think it's cute. I do tell them that it is not a cow bell, but a Chow bell. :wink:
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

I use a rolled collar for tags and for grabbing Henry when someone comes to the door as he has been known to squeeze through a gap that a mouse would struggle to get through and and bounce off down the road. OH also uses the collar for walks.

Myself and daughter always use the gentle leader harness for walks, he doesn't pull with that.
Thank you Sweatpea
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I've used a rolled braided collar for tags for years on my chows. They wear them 24/7 365, they don't wear the hair off. Most of the time you can't even see anything of them except their tags. For walks they wear Easy Leader harnesses, for training I have a rolled choke collar, it is different than the regular rolled collars as it does not have the leather ends on it that prevent the rolled collars from being choke collars, (Dreamdance in fact is an expert at slipping out of his rolled collar if I use it as a walking collar even though I swear he comes close to losing an ear or two when he pulls his hear out of it) Firesong for a while wore a gentleleader halter instead of the harness, but she was too dang smart for that, she learned that if she turned her head sideways she could pull as hard as she wanted, and unless I was prepared to flip her onto her back, she would. The harness is much better! And easy to put on, I leave the chest strap connected, then all I have to do is slip it over their heads and click the belly strap and we're off. Once in a while I have to tighten them up but thats all.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Blackbear- I think it does. Though Ty's not a huge puller to begin with. There's a martingale design on the front where is clasps and it cinches when they pull. Also it then pushes the leash across the chest and over the shoulder stopping their momentum and not giving any good leverage. Ty's brother's owners got one for Chrysalis after meeting us and they love it. It takes a lot of power out of his pull, which is good because Shannon is tiny and Chrys lunges into his steps. With a little work with training, and the harness he should be doing fine. The one she had on him before was a PAIN. I tried walking him and with his pulling habits, my hands and arms hurt shortly after working with him. Ty wears his upside down though (they say the silver or grey is supposed to be on the bottom)because it fits him better. It doesn't droop down his chest and in the way of his legs.
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

For normal walking our boy is ok but if he sees wildlife hes gone. I thought I had this pulling problem mostly solved but he still needs more work. I might try the Easy leader. Just another one to add to the collection.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

612guy wrote:We've always used a thick flat collar but you made me think about getting a roll collars next time we go to the pet store. I believe harnesses are made so your dog can pull. I don't want my dogs to pull so I think I stay away from them. Think of it if you had a horse and you want to control him. The harness is the last one you would use for walking him. In the show ring we use a small roll rope choker and we put it right behind the ears for the most control.
Hey, just seen this - some harnesses are made for pulling, some are just made to fit round the body and some are made for anti pulling, you just need to get the right one for your needs!
Thank you Sweatpea
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

I've had the best luck with a nylon collar with the "choke" bit on the side... so when she pulls on her lead, the nylon bit gets tighter and the chain never comes into contact with her neck. I've tried everything and she seems to like this the most. Sucks for me, because I like the cute ones with all the sparkles :P
Slush wears a collar 100% of the time. Its for safety reasons. If she should ever get out, its got her identy-kit on her and my contact details. I think its irresposible to not keep a colar on a dog - ESPECICALLY since my weekends are filled with taking dogs off the roads in my neighbourhood and trying to find thier owners because they arent wearing a collar and arent microchipped. Very frustrating!!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
juliusk9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by juliusk9 »

great information,nice work . I like it ..Thank You