Do you trust your Chow off-leash?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Yes
4%
No
65%
Sometimes (please specify)
30%

Total votes: 23

Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I've seen this topic pop up so many times, I thought it was time for the ultimate poll on it, just to inform new users with the same question.

For Loo, I'll add the first resounding big fat NO!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Do you trust your Chow off-leash?

Post by chowpups »

As good as Nikki was I can't check even sometimes..Even with all the training she could so easily just run off without a leash..Even with a leash once she took off after a squirrel.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Definitely no, Cocoa is very well behaved but a cat or squirrel would definitely cause "selective deafness" to any recall.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Definitely not!!!!!!! Whitby is very adventuresome plus she goes BANANAS - Big Time! when she sees a cat or even gets a wiff of one.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

They barely listen when they are on the leash so off-leash would be a disaster #-o
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My two are very good on the leash, but I would NOT let them outside the yard or other enclosed area without a leash. Years ago, as I was coming out the vet's office, I dropped Ursa's leash while closing the office door. She didn't run, but she did trot out into the middle of a 4 lane road. This was a definite heart stopper. A passer by and I were able to catch her, but she did NOT listen to me and stop or come when called.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

God, if I dropped Loo's leash coming out of the vet's office, he'd be toast. :shock: He's always desperate to get away from there once they're done with him.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I've dropped Ty's leash a number of times, sometimes on purpose. Most of the time he'll stay and if he starts to wander he's going a slow pace and stops if I tell him to wait. That's not to say if something caught his attention he wouldn't take off (squirrel, bird, cat, etc.) Certain times for short periods of time, I can drop that leash (like if it's night and I have the "red dot" he likes to chase). He's definitely not like my lab I had growing up where she would look for an escape route and then take it once she found it. She'd then take off and be deaf to any commands otherwise. Ty doesn't like to be out of my sight. He took off once when he was a puppy and I started to chase after him. Once he got around the condo, he circled back looking quite alarmed. Even at dog parks he likes to check in. Like today, I got jumped from behind and I was about to correct someone else's dog when I turned around and Ty was behind me looking up with that chow grin and a slight twitch to his tail. He's a goofy guy.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sarahloo, my two actually like going to the vet. To them it is a great adventure. They get to ride in the van, and everyone at the office really likes to see them. You may have to do a little training of the vet and staff, but I have found that they are trainable. LOL When we leave the office, they get to walk around and check things out, then we might ride to some other cool dog places
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Ursa's daddy wrote:Sarahloo, my two actually like going to the vet. To them it is a great adventure. They get to ride in the van, and everyone at the office really likes to see them. You may have to do a little training of the vet and staff, but I have found that they are trainable. LOL When we leave the office, they get to walk around and check things out, then we might ride to some other cool dog places
Loo does extremely well at the vet, and is extremely relieved to go home after. I can't say I've ever seen a dog ambling casually out of the door there. They're all in a hurry to get home.
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

Dim Sum is very independent. I can't really let him off-leash unless it is at the enclosed dog park. A few times I have let go when he is around another dog, but even that is not enough to hold his interest long enough...soon after he goes his merry way. Recalling only works in the house, not outside.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Yes, inside always and 98% in the fenced yard .. but once on the loose in open area, never.. :( She was fine till she learned about prey her nose would lead her right to a fox den..(and she went there).
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaysa »

Muñeco is the same, in the house he always comes when I call him, but the minute we go outside he apparently becomes deaf :p lol...unless there's a stranger coming, then he comes and sit in front of me
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I NEVER trusted Tippsy to be off leash. She always took off.

Jazz stays off leash, but that has to be the lab in him. :lol: And Dixie, I don't even know if there's chow in her and she takes off... But it's a big fat NO! :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

I can occasionally let Slush off the lead. Some days she is well behaved, some days shes not. If shes in a good mood, shes rewarded for behaving by being let off the lead. Sometimes she is so calm, she has a little run around and comes right back when called. I have to stress that this is seldom.... but we're working on it :>
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Confuzzled
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Confuzzled »

Skadi is only let off leash at a Dog park we go to once a month. It's a very large area, nicely tucked away from any busy roads etc. so the selective hearing is fine in this environment. By that, I mean it's okay when she dives into a dam and swims after the ducks she thinks she can catch. We just meet her on the other side of the bank when she gets there. Also, we have been going since she was a pup and she doesn't show any bad behavior toward the other dogs. She knows she's not in her own territory, so the protective guardian side of her is switched off and she fully embraces the exploratory side. Every so often a strange person will try to pet the "cute fluffy dog" and she politely backs away from them and gives them a "wtf?" look. :)

Would I let her off leash in the suburbs on a normal walk? No friggen way!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

About the only thing i would trust is for them not to bolt out the door without their collars on...unless their was a rabbit, squirrel, opossum, child, other dog, or car within eyesight of the back door. Other than that, i know they are going to sit there and wait for the collar click and for me to open the door for them.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Now I can cast my vote and it's a NO. Of course.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Brutus is our 3rd Chow and even in a fence if I call him he hears me but ignores me a lot just like the previous chows. About 3 years ago we adopted a boxer that would bolt if she was outside the fence. Inside the fence she was perfect and I knew I had to do something. So I bought an e-collar and it worked so well that now she wags her tail with joy when I put it on her because now she is going to have fun chasing he ball at park. I haven't shocked the boxer in a long time because she is so good. Brutus is still under 1 years old but sometime won't come in the house and had to chase him to get him in. So I told the wife that I was going to use it on him and she said no, but I'm the one looking like a fool. Well one morning before work I put it on and later I called him to come in and he ran in a circle 3 or 4 times after his tail just like before and started running away. So he got shocked and then ran right to me. Second morning went the same way but the third day all I had to do was beep him. A Lot of people might say it's wrong but chows are stubborn and I never have to raise my voice. The best part was he didn't associate the shock with me but with his bad behavior. I've even walked him to mail box to get the mail/newspaper a few houses down and I enjoyed that. I will use it mostly for the boxer because they need more exercise but will use it if needed on Brutus.

Brutus
calibear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by calibear »

Bear is only 7 months, but i always let him off leash to play with other dogs, or on hikes, beach...etc But i also live in South Lake Tahoe that could factor in a bit.