Repeating Aggression Problems Question

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CS13_Chowmix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Repeating Aggression Problems Question

Post by CS13_Chowmix »

Hi there =) I don't mean to create a repeat topic but I'm in dire need of help with our Chow mix. His name is Freeloader, he is about 4 years old now, and is an intact Chow Chow x German Shepherd Dog. He was raised in a junkyard, spending most of his life crammed in a cage with little food and water. A couple years ago he suddenly appeared at my mother's boyfriend's door and since then has come to live with us. He is quite a lovable boy, although he gets jealous easily when another dog receives more attention than him (though not aggressively, he just forces himself upon you to get attention). Surprisingly, he has accepted my Beagle (who lived with my mother and I before Freeloader and his master joined the picture) and is not at all aggressive towards him, except for the occasional growl around the food bowl. Of course, he didn't accept my cat very well and nor did my cat so it is not uncommon to happen upon a standoff between the two. He isn't very kind to other dogs as well, especially when Gibbs (my dog) is around, however in a neutral environment he soon settles. In fact, he is quite the lazy dog!

But, my concern is his sudden relapses in aggression. Not long ago we decided to foster another dog and lets just say it didn't turn out well, although that was partly our fault for not catching the foster dog's own aggression (he would literally tease Loader). After the whole ordeal he mellowed out again until we got a new kitten. At first he was quite curious but quickly developed an attitude and began chasing it. One time he got a hold of the little fellow but instead of killing it he licked it till it was soaked in doggy drool. I kinda of figured that might be his GSD blood but the very next day he was back to trying to kill it. Now he searches the house every chance he gets trying to snag one of the cats. It seems like he is now deliberately hunting them.

I've heard about the running aggression in Chow Chows and though I see many glimpses of this in him I also see many of the affectionate attributes of the GSD side of him. However, I've noticed this balance turning into a two-sided coin that frequently flips for all sorts of things. It's almost like he forgets and it's becoming increasingly frustrating to deal with. Yelling has no effect since he's so used to it from other sources and swatting him lasts only for a short moment. The only thing that I've found to work is pulling back on his scruff and dragging him outside. It seems like there is literally no way to teach him right from wrong because the moment you toss him outside or whatever he's back to panting and wagging his tail in a matter of seconds.

If anybody could please give me some sort of insight on how to solve these 'aggressive relapses' I would truly be grateful. I don't want him killing another animal and having to be forced to put him down. =(

Oh, I should also add that he is just fine with humans. He is generally wary at first about strangers but if we accept them so does he. It's just other animals besides Gibbs that he gets totally dumb with.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Repeating Aggression Problems Question

Post by Sarahloo »

Why did you get another cat when you knew he was having trouble getting along with the cat you already had?
You say he is a jealous fellow? Then please stop adding more pets to your household! It's simply not smart! He hates sharing you with more and more pets! My advice would be to get right of the foster dog as soon as you can! Chows aren't big fans of commotion, they like order and things being as they know them. It seems like this is all too much for him, and there's his jealousy.
As you said, he never had anyone for the first years of his life. You're his people now, and you need to be fully committed to him by respecting his needs and his limits. He's tried his best by accepting your beagle and not murdering your cat, so now you need to accept him and who he is. You adopted a dog with a past ( =D= =D= =D= ), now you have to stand by him.
CS13_Chowmix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CS13_Chowmix »

Sarahloo wrote:Why did you get another cat when you knew he was having trouble getting along with the cat you already had?
You say he is a jealous fellow? Then please stop adding more pets to your household! It's simply not smart! He hates sharing you with more and more pets! My advice would be to get right of the foster dog as soon as you can! Chows aren't big fans of commotion, they like order and things being as they know them. It seems like this is all too much for him, and there's his jealousy.
As you said, he never had anyone for the first years of his life. You're his people now, and you need to be fully committed to him by respecting his needs and his limits. He's tried his best by accepting your beagle and not murdering your cat, so now you need to accept him and who he is. You adopted a dog with a past ( =D= =D= =D= ), now you have to stand by him.
I got another cat because I was helping a friend, besides the rivalry between him and my first one is not uncommon in the animal world. So I didn't think nothing of it. Also, not getting more pets is not a solution to the problem, especially in our household where animals come and go. That foster dog is gone though. But, you are right about the sharing, I hadn't really thought of it like that. Do you have any tips for how to curb his jealousy so that he doesn't feel like he isn't getting any attention.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Aggression in an adult dog is definitely a concern. If your chowmix has a tendency to prey on smaller pets (but have youseen him kill any animals around?). If he killed, you must confine him if you can't bear the hurt of seeing other foster animals die one by one. Correcting is not usually successful in a dog whose habit is set already. If your home is a foster pet haven, and your chowmix needs a devoted owner whose heart is his alone, then place him in such a home. Hera (purebred dalmatian) has a penchant for killing street cats. Its a sports to her. I dont like it but although I bred her she stayed most of her 6 years in a home were she is confined all her life. When I had her again she is thin and have that kind of mindset, whereas Cookie (her mom and my Dam) is an excellent rat killer and stable in character. But Hera does not kill my smaller dogs. I was unsuccessful in correcting Hera not to kill the stray cats. she died aged 11 years old. Consider the bloodline as well. GSD/Chow. Guard dog herding dog and hunting dog. So prey instinct is strong. It helps you understand if you know the bloodline. You can let him out to play everyday as ling as you caged all your other pet that he preys upon.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

hmmm... my sypathies! :( I know what its like to have the urge to get more pets! My chowlie is a super jealous thing. Kitty was around way before Slush was, so Slush accepts my kitty and wouldnt really hurt her. HOWEVER, Slush does most certainly chase her around, and if we settle down to give kitty some good old love, Slush bumps kitty right out the way to get the love instead! Naughty dog! hehehehe. My poor kitty :)
I know when we move into a bigger place I am most def getting another cat. Not sure how Slush would re-act because she's a jealous dog... but she has never tried to hurt another animal. She just likes to chase my kitty around the house - and quite frankly... kitty teases her, so she deserves to run!

I think some solid advice would be to maybe scream a loud "NO" when your chow/GSD goes after your pets. Time him out for a while and ignore him. But do this EVERY time he goes after your kitties.
If Slush chases my kitty, I scream "LEAVE IT" in a low loud voice (i use the command "leave it" for when we're on the road and she spots something interesting that causes her to lunge). Slush stops and looks at me with sad eyes like ,"aaaawwwww, we was just playing! Promise!" But she does leave my cat alone after that.

ps. My Chowlie is also x GSD, but the GSD lineage is very VERY diluted in her. You can hardly tell shes a cross
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...