Teenage Chow Challenging Authority

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Teenage Chow Challenging Authority

Post by Rory's Dad »

Well stated Ursa...kinda what i was thinking in my earlier post, but just way clearer. My apologies for lack of detail.

Miss V...maybe try a solid hug as a starter. If she is comfortable with that, progress her into kind of a lap hold. I am talking about you sitting on the floor (as Ursa said, no tub in site), starting with a big bear hug, and then pulling her up onto your legs and lap. Maybe from there moving up to a couch or chair.

Sounds strange, but small steps, repeated and then increasing in motion should get her comfortable. Re-introducing the bath will still be an issue, but Slushy should at least get used to being handled again.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

More text book information. You are going to have to think that this is a game and make Slush think that it is a game too. The text book part: You will be doing something known as successive approximations. Your goal is to make it possible to pick Slush up and put her in the dip without her being upset. The first step sounds like it is getting her to let you pick her up. If you can put a barrier inside the car (this could be something simple like a piece of cardboard wedged between the seat and the door pillars) that prevents her from jumping in the car, this might be a start. You could think of a different situation. What you want is for Slush to do an action that approximates you picking her up. You may have to go back to just having her lay down and you put your hands under her with no lifting. I suggested the car, because she associates that with fun (the fun is the reward). You want to praise her (reward) if she lets you put your hands under her like you are going to pick her up, and ignore any negative behavior. If she does not do something right, think about playing a game on your cell phone or what the clouds look like, anything that does not make you show a negative indication towards her. If she will let you put her in the car, go to the park and spend 15 minutes or so there, then go back to the car. See if you can pick her up to get back in the car. If so, then drive around the block and return to the park for some more fun. You can repeat this process as many times as you like. Put into your mind the idea that you want to present Slush a number of small steps that build positive experience around being picked up.

Example: Ursa, my female is very timid. She is better with me over my wife, and she is better when she in in public with Malachi, my male. She needs some reassurance that the situation is ok. Part of the socialization process was to walk her around the block to the groomers. Initially, she would plant her feet and refuse to turn the corner. We would stop and turn around and walk home. Later. she would go around the corner, but stop halfway up the block. Again we would turn around and go home. Eventually, she would walk past the building. Once she got used to walking past the building, we would work on turning up the walk to the door. Finally, we got to where we could walk up to the door. Then it got to where we would open the door, but not go inside. Later it was open the door, step inside, close the door, then open the door and leave. I think you get the picture.

Your dog is an individual. You will need to try to understand what specific issues she has and deal with them in small steps. Training like this takes time, and if you have to dip her once a week, then you don't have infinite time. Initial success would be if you can just get her not to growl and snap at you.

I did see that Merlin has recently comment on some post. My hope is that perhaps she will add something to the discussion. She has a lot of experience. I guess I have been lucky, because all my dogs seemed to want to do what I wanted them to do.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

ugh - i wrote out this whole long post and i just lost it. GRRRRR!

1st off, thank you again for all your advice. NOW were getting somewhere!!! :)
2nd, my dog is comfortable with hugs and being touched. Every morning I literally climb on top of her (like im riding a pony) and give her a HUGE bear hug from the top. I also get down and hug her everyday when i get home from work. If she doesnt get her "hello hug" from me when i get home, she jumps on me until she gets it! Once hugged, she then carries on as normal and goes outside to sit by the gate and bark and wag her tail at dogs passing by.
3rd, im a little trouble with the fact that im running out of time. Since I have to dip her weekly, i dont exactly have the luxury of months of her getting used to being picked up. I think what Im going to do, is get her used to coming upstairs (she wont come upstairs during the day because the bathrooms are upstairs, and bathrooms = BATH!). Once i have her upstairs, im going to try pick her up and put her on our bed as a treat :) Shes not allowed on furniture, so this will be a treat for her. I'll then pick her back up again to set her down. Our bed is quite high, so she wouldnt be able to climb up and get off usually.
I think I'll try this tonight and tomorrow to get her ready for her dip on Sunday.
What do you think?
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I think if slush thinks its a treat, then its a treat.

Obviously, you will know what triggers her better than we do, so i say go with that. Ursa answered based on his knowledge that she likes the car, and its the same thing. Find an positive experience, whatever it is, and build from there.

I can certainly appreciate the time line issue...if she gotta go, she gotta go...in the bath. Sneakiness and surprises may be the only way with the time line, and we know its better for her.

Its going to be hard to scoop her up and put her into a situation she doesnt like, so just try to make the actual bath as positive as can be. After bath could also be a good opportunity for rewards. I have seen my chows do some really great zoomies when their fur is wet (from a nice solid rain mostly), so maybe try that as a play time.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I understand the time issue. Picking her up and putting her on the bed is ok IF you won't mind her doing so in the future. I don't let my two chows get on the furniture or in bed. They couldn't get in the bed anyway, because the two little dogs and the cats are already there. LOL

What we are discussing is having your dog develop a level of trust with you, and your dog becoming adjusted (conditioned) to being handled as preparation for being dipped. You should do some thinking about how it would be if Slush was picking you up and dipping you. You are there and I am half a world away giving advice. You are going to have to evaluate how the relationship between you and Slush is developing, and YOU are the one that will have to make the decisions and the adjustment to make things work.

Good luck.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Yep! I can definitely connect with Ursa's Dad about dogs trusting us. I can personally vouch that your dog will pretty much allow you to do anything to him as long as he trusts in your judgment even if it means the vet is inserting a catheter up his urethra without anesthetic and there's no way the vet will put the dog under general anesthesia because if he did the dog will succumb to death - all these without muzzle or restraining except with my bare hands and soothing words. . I know it can be done as long as there is trust. The only problem I see is if the dog have lost trust.
mebo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mebo »

If there is someone there to help you, have them feed her little bits of canned chicken. Minnie will do ANYTHING for a little bit of that chicken. The trainer I worked with recommended a high value treat that she doesn't get any other time--making it extra special. She gets it when I have to trim her nails or bathe her. She doesn't like baths, but she loves to be clean....typical chow!

Good luck with your chow!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Cam Atis, thanks for the comment about dog trust. My two look to me for guidance because they trust me. That trust is the key to the relationship.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

Just some feedback *(because i can!!) :)

Slush has started to settle down. What a bumpy ride!
I stopped taking her to puppy classes and spent more time just working one on one with her. She is learning to respects my authority and does most things I ask of her now without too much trouble. She'll be one next month - and I couldnt be happier with my special girl :) We've both come a long way. I've had to regain her trust and show her, through absolute stubborn consistency, that I mean what i say. Shes calmed down nicely - and loves to be let off the lead at the park when shes been good. Its her fav treat! If she behaves at the park, she gets "off lead" time where she gets to chase her little ball around the park. Its her absolute best! Her recall is improving too. We've finally begun to understand each other.

This is the most awesome feeling ever. I have a best friend.
I am totally sold on this breed and couldnt imagine living without her. Her loyalty is something out of this world...

Thank you for all your feedback on this thread. I've taken a lot of what you have all said and smooshed it together to get my own answer... and the results have been wonderful :)
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I am totally sold on this breed and couldn't imagine living without her. Her loyalty is something out of this world...
That is what sold me with my two.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hello MissV, I am so glad to hear Slushy is bouncing back great. Cassie is also doing good. we are into her coat shedding and it clumps. She now loved to be brushed by a slicker, she somewhat hates the pincomb. I guess it has something to do that she knows she is shedding and she welcomes the brush unlike before she'll bite the brush and turn it into a chew toy.
Blue wanted to be brushed as well! But no, he cant as his coat is short and shiny naturally.