New chow puppy won't stop barking when put in cage

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

niubi
Rank 0
Rank 0

New chow puppy won't stop barking when put in cage

Post by niubi »

Hope you don't mind asking a few questions in this thread.

First of all, I got a new chow pup last week. The place i bought it recommended I buy a cage to let it sleep in (also has a tray underneath for pooping in).

Anytime I put it in the cage it just incessantly barks. The first few times I let it out cos I felt bad. However, since then I've tried leaving him in for longer and now he'll just bark and whimper for hours non stop. I live in an apartment block so can't leave him go wandering out in the yard or anything.

Anyway, if anyone has some advice on how best to deal with it, that would be awesome.

Thanks alot.
niubi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New chow puppy won't stop barking when put in cage

Post by niubi »

Also, can someone please point me towards some threads/articles on how to best potty train him. He is only 2 months old and right now he just poops and pees everywhere. As i live in an apartment it's not always possible to bring him outside. I have a big tray for him to poop in but he doesn't seem to be getting the message yet.

Thanks for any advice.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ok...lemme give this a go, because my puppy was three and a half months when I first got him and needed to crate him during my work time. Let me first point out that you should be working on house training and getting him outside, not to poop in the tray. Yes, if he does that's ok for now because he can't hold it too long, but that's not the goal you want. He's going to get bigger and so is his poo. Not a lovely smell in an apartment. Why is it not possible to bring him outside all the time? If/when you're home you should be able to do that or you shouldn't have a puppy/dog. Secondly, when you're home, he should be out of the crate with you. Buy a baby gate if you need to, to block off the main space from the rest of the apartment. You do not want him to have full exploration right now because they'll pop a squat anywhere and anytime they have to go and you want to be able to clean up messes right away as well as get him outside. Try to interrupt him if he stops by clapping and then take him out right away. I realize he can't have full exploration of the block, but hey, what did you expect? You need to take him for short walks and take him out as often as he needs to go out. On a leash. And clean up his poos when he goes. It's that simple. As far as the kennel, put his food and such in there and let him go in and out of it with the door open when you are home so he's comfortable with it. Put his favorite toys and washable bed or blanket in with him when you leave and at night when you go to bed (we kept ours in the bedroom). The first month Ty would whine or cry and sometimes I would lay down next the cage on the floor until he calmed down and then snuck off back to bed. If the kennel you bought also has an insert, also use that to make the space about enough for him to lay down. He won't want to mess in there. See if you can have a neighbor come and take him out for you when you're not home. His bladder can't hold more than a half hour at the best at this point. It's a lot of work, but once he's older it'll get easier and that's what you have to expect when you get a puppy. Once he's done eating, drinking a lot, playing, or waking up for a nap get him outside and be patient. Tell him to potty and praise him when he does. He'll get the message eventually and do his best to please you. Work on training him on commands or tricks about 15 minutes a day and also play with him so he'll be more tired when it's time to go in the crate. Walking him before you leave and when you get back...once again before bed time will wear him down to go in there too. Don't force him in, lure him in with treats...praise him when he complies...work this in with your training too. It'll become a safe haven and have nothing but positive and relaxation related to it. Hope that helps.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Tychow is right. Now truth: dogs or pups poo after eating their full meal. That is between 10minutes to 60minutes after eating. Peeing is more hard to anticipate. Normally they do poop after you give them time to romp or walk around. If you're busy, it helps you tie your chow in an area where you want him to do his thing. Untie him once done. Having a pup is like having a baby. Only easier. Secondly, use lysol to clean up his poop remains or residue so next time he wont do it on that same spot. Pups sniff out the smell of their poop, even if it is gone. They then decide its the right spot if they can smell telltale scents of the thing.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Regarding her incessant barking when caged, if your pup stops barking when you come and handle her while insidethe cage, then you'll know she hates being left alone. Dogs have different personalities just like us. her constant want of company did not jibe with your lonesome style. Buy her some toys of (stuffed ones for her to destroy while caged, and for you to clean up later - poop, pee and all :-) I hate barkers myself but got used to it when i got myself a mini pin. Swore I'll never get another one. Cassie is being good, not barking when there's no need. She is confident alone or with company. Yours need constant human companionship. There's no cure for that except YOU. Constantly re assuring your pup and give what she wanted and you'll see she'll pay you back in ways you won't regret.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Did you get her from a pet shop? If yes, that pup is dead tired living in a cage. So it would have been different if she now has some freedom living with you.