Run Away Chow

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

beccachow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Run Away Chow

Post by beccachow »

Have any of you successfully dealt with the roaming instinct of your chows? Every one I have ever had was an opportunistic runner, and of course, "stop" "stay" etc is as useless as dancing a jig when they are off. Any thoughts? Yes, we do have a fenced yard, but I would love to let Cricket roam the farm with me.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Run Away Chow

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Nope, if Tippsy saw an opening, she went. Which is why I NEVER let her loose. The only time she was off-leash outside was when she was contained by a fence. Otherwise, she was on leash or on a tie-out. When I took her down to the pastures, she was loose because he had chicken mesh on a wooden railed fence, so she couldn't get loose.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Best suggestion is a long lead. I would not let either of my two loose. Now, from time to time, Malachi will find the breezeway door open to the garage when the garage doors are open. Now he is allowed in the garage, but only when the doors are closed. Most of the time he just sleeps in there, but from time to time, he takes advantage of the opportunity and checks out the front yard. Usually, he just marks the shrubs, comes around to the front door of the breezeway. and waits for someone to let him in. My view is that I have been lucky. While my two are real good about not making a break when someone opens the gate or a door, the policy is to always keep them in the fenced part of the yard or on a leash.
tysonchow03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tysonchow03 »

With Tyson, we also started with a long leesh. Like 30 feet, so he still has free range of the yard and we practiced "come" while tied up. Slowly we would let him go as long as he responds to "come", "stay"... and if he doesnt listen than he gets to go back on the leash, we repeated this lots!

Now he's allow to roam the front yard while were standing there or if were in the garage he just chills on the driveway. HOWEVER Tyson is extremely smart and he seems to know when were not looking. If we turn our back for a split 5 seconds he takes off... It's defaintly a chow issue, but I think it can be corrected. Just takes alot of repetition. #-o
Proud parents since 2010

Marlee Chow- DOB April 7, 2012
Tyson Chow - DOB Jan 15, 2003
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I think the general concensus on Chow free roaming is no, but obviously there are exceptions. Every Chow is different but they have a genetic level desire to roam and find enemies or prey. We have a long flexi lead, which means Rio can zooooooooom if needed but also still be close enough to 'capture' should the need arise. You will know your darling better than any of us, I guess it will be judgment call.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki was very good as a puppy but as soon as the prey instinct kicked in there was no stopping her.She attended many training sessions but in a closed area she was fine put her in the yard and a child chasing a ball and the was over playing with the kids or chasing a rabbit or fox ..I always say there are exceptions I just never had one.lol
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

If the nearest neighbor is 5 miles away, your chow will definitely comeback come nightfall. be prepared to follow your buddy up to 5 miles of farms, forests and all thing that are on the unbeaten path. Goodluck - I dont do such thing as I cant stand thinking my dog will lost her sense of direction and wouldnt be able to come back to me at all.
Ursa's dad has a more sensible suggestion. a longer lead/leash. Try 15 meters but keep an eye all the time
funpolie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by funpolie »

I have learned that chow chow are known to run away when they get a chance. But I now a chow that i used to baby sit name Yogi, she stopped running a way when she became 2 years old. When i first met her, she was 1 year old and she will run off the door way and we had to chase her streets down to get her back.
we could not let her walk without a leash. but she changed when she became 2 year old the 2nd time we baby sit her. i could go out side in a field without leash and she will continue to walk with me side by side very closely. she will come back to me if is a far away from me.

but we have a chow now of our own. she is Moca and she is 12 months old. she runs off and would not come back. sometimes she would listen and sometimes would not. i just had to chased her 30 houses in our neighborhood yesterday in the rain... i think they can change and maybe when they are more mature and steady..
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Yeah, more mature and steady......Malachi is 4 1/2 years old and knows most common commands. He pulled a fast one on me the other day. I am separating a bed of bulbs, and he has been by my side in the back yard, no problem. I start working in the bed on just the other side of the fence. He gives me one of those looks, so I asked if he wanted to come out with me. Of course he did. I asked if he would just lie down by the flower bed and stay by me. Of course, he said. So I open the gate and lead him over by the flower bed. Next thing I know, he says something about the shrubs needing watering, and he is going to check on them. He doesn't quite get out the front yard before I start out after him on the mountain bike. That is the one thing he knows I can use to out run him. I got ahead of him, and he headed back, marking bushes on the way to the house. Mature and steady....not a chance on his part.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Ursa's daddy wrote:He doesn't quite get out the front yard before I start out after him on the mountain bike. That is the one thing he knows I can use to out run him. I got ahead of him, and he headed back, marking bushes on the way to the house.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Sarahloo, I glad that gave you a chuckle. Today I let them watch me work in the front yard, but this time I put the long leads on them...Fool me once, shame on you....Fool me twice, shame on me.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JammyJoy »

Secure your yard. Make it impossible for your dog to escape - take away the temptation to run away.
raykro23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by raykro23 »

I am curious how old your runner is? My first girl, Sheba ran away when she was just about a year. Tried everything Long lead (That got me rope burn.) Discipline, that taught her to stay away from me longer. What ended up working was once she returned to the house I would let her see me take away for food and water. (Okay ya'll I'm really not cruel, it would not be for long).
Once she then went out and returned I would return the food and water. This changed things pretty quickly.
Also agree with the person who responded about maturity. Once Sheba was older I was able to walk her off lead and she listened to me for the most part.
My new girl, is on leash all the times excepts in dog parks, or contained places to roam.

Got to love um... huh!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree...the only hope you have for teaching a chow recall is reward. Even then, though its definitely a gamble. You can work all day long for a year in the house, and they will come when called. Add a variable, like the yard, and you might get up to 50%. Once outside their normal territory, in my opinion, all bets are off.
a_kwaks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by a_kwaks »

I have a one year old chow that I take to the no leash park near my home. I use a 16 feet retractable leash and walk with him along the tree lines, the park is also wide open. We have been doing this for sometime and now when time is available I release him. He will keep me in eyes view even thought he continues to do what dogs do. He plays with other dogs in the park and allows strangers to approach him only after smelling their hand. Dog owners are aware of this function with dogs so I don't need to explain his behavior.

Once it's time to go Milo likes to play a game that most dogs find enjoyable, I'll come close but catch me if you can game. Although at times I can get frustrated, I understand his motive. Milo loves to run and dogs should be able to do so, I will drive my car thru the park to the end and Milo would run to catch up and then drive back to the dog park as he continues to run after the car. One thing I've found with Milo is he likes me to walk with him without the leash, at times of rain showers I would prefer to sit in the car while he does his thing. But sitting out in the rain and watching me in the car has an effect so I'm forced to walk in the rain with him.

As explained in other post every dog is different, I'm very happy I recused Milo and he has become my best friend. I wish there was something I could do to help with his stress level while riding in the car. I've tried medication and spoken to his Vet. Perhaps as he gets older he will grow out of it. I would love to take Milo traveling so he can enjoy the beautiful country we are so fortunate to enjoy. I'm not sure I've helped but having a trusted relationship with your dog will go along way.
Attachments
Milo
Milo
milo1.jpg (177.72 KiB) Viewed 8783 times
BabblingBrooke
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BabblingBrooke »

My Chow can split through the tiniest slit on the front door to become a full runaway-,in a few seconds. Only if he sees me go to the truck to follow him, he suddenly runs to the front door, and waits for me. I do not want to punish him for running away WHEN he returns on his own...suggestions?,