the chow is nipping me...

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

the chow is nipping me...

Post by trry »

So I put my chow pup outside in the backyard to do his business and when I came to get him from outside he would run around when I tried to pick him up. So when I finally picked him up he nipped me. He didn't push down or anything but he was wild as if it was end of the world type of movement. So when he kept trying to nip me more I picked him up by the harness and firmly said no. Then the following day my mom try to bring him back in and he nipped him then too. How do I correct this?

Thanks!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: the chow is nipping me...

Post by Sarahloo »

He obviously loves being outside, and since he is a Chow, he thinks he can decide when it's time to go back inside.
Before you let him outside, put a long leash on him that you can just pick up and pull when you want him to come back in.

But do make sure that your puppy has fun! Walk him, play with him in the backyard. He is a young dog and has a lot of energy that he needs to get rid of by running around.
trry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: the chow is nipping me...

Post by trry »

Yeah, he loves playing outside. I try to play with him in the yard ~15-30min before i leave for work for the day.