Chow puppy aggresive towards vet

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Susieq
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow puppy aggresive towards vet

Post by Susieq »

Hi: New here; we have a beautiful 4 1/2 month old chow puppy named Goldie we brought home at 9 wks of age. She is a sweet little thing, but has shown typical chow suspicion since we have had her. We have been socializing her every day, as we have a 5 yr old daughter also, and Goldie does well with my daughter as well as kids on the street (now), took her to puppy training classes where she did very well with other dogs and people. My problem seems to be with my vet! who has seemed put off by a chow since I first took her there. She does not like them examining her mouth, and has snapped at the vet during mouth exam, at which time he backs off and proceeds to tell me how many bad chows he has seen, blah blah blah.. She will let us (her family)in her mouth at any time; any advice on how to make the vet exam more pleasant? We have had other dogs including a chow mix in the past; this dog does have definite chow personality but we are working with her at all times and she seems to be doing well. Thanks for any suggestions!!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Chow puppy aggresive towards vet

Post by Sojourner11 »

You vet may be giving off a bad vibe,which your pup could pick up on. Frankly I'd find a new vet, and one who was Chow friendly.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

You need to train your vet. Some vets are easy to train, and some are hard to train. The initial reaction my son had when he took my two to our current vet was "OMG chows!" My son reassured the staff that they were good dogs, and had the dogs lay down in the reception area. It didn't take long for the staff to relax and begin to act normal. By the end of the visit, everyone at the vet's office had learned that they could conduct business as normal since my chows did not want to deal with fearful vets and staff.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Older post, i know, but have had experience with this. Some vets simply do not like chows. As a prior post said, they give off a bad vibe and the dog reacts to this. Not a bad dog, bad vet. Check with the breeder on what vet they use or recommend. We currently drive 45 minutes each way to use the breeders vet. Not always possible if you are distant, but well worth it if you can.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Look for another vet. My guess is that your vet had a bad experience and it's being projected to the point your Chowling can sense it.
When I brought my Chowboy home and took him to our front yard, the neighborhood kids came over to meet him. There was only one kid that my Chowboy had a problem with...probably for good reason - since (fast foward) the boy did not turn out well...There was another incident with an older lady that was in her front yard when we were out for a walk. He went into a barking mode as we got closer to her. I had to pull him across the street. I really do think they know when they smell trouble.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

that's what we call dog instinct. YOur vet doesn't like chows and as far as your chow is concerned, the feeling is mutual. :-)
Try opening your chow's mouth for inspection, just for practice. Inspect her paws , ears, tails etc. so she is used to that kind of "humiliation". If you wont accustom her to that, well, if the vet there is the only vet around, you got a future problem. Do that after your pup has eaten her scheduled meal or when you are grooming her
Susieq
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Susieq »

Thanks everyone for the advice; had difficulty logging back on to post again!
Goldie was spayed early this week; my husb took her as I am having painful knee bursitis (I'm usually the one who takes her to the vet) - (using same vet!); when he went to pick her up after the procedure, got the same lecture how she gave them a hard time, needs socialization, etc. She behaves at the groomer, just slightly fearful, but she comes around to them; is ok in the neighborhood , but hasnt really gone for a good walk since my knee problem. I am planning to take her to a trainer after her stitches are removed to work a bit with her. But she really is a sweetie with me and my family; I just feel horrible switching vets, been with this one so long and he was so good with our prev dog (chow mix); but that dog had a totally different personality. May have to switch after her stitches are removed; I feel they are not trying to come around to her and she is fearful and tries to bite them. Feeling bad, because I loved this vet and this clinic in the past, and have no idea where else to go. She is such a smart dog, and the most well behaved dog I have ever owned for a 6 month old (have had a lab, keeshond, chow mix ), and is so pretty. Just think a vet should give me helpful advice, not lectures.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Well, if your vet is good, and you dont want to switch vet, he or she will see ur chow more, have your chow wear a muzzle. And If the vet will inspect the mouth, you or hubby must stand beside your dog as re assurance for him and for the vet
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

You are going to have to train your vet. Easiest way to do this is have a well behaved dog. It also helps to handle your dog, open her mouth, inspect her ears, feet, etc, and make sure she is accustomed to being handled. Chows sense that the vet is fearful. You are going to have to work with your dog to overcome her reaction to a fearful vet.