Getting chows in/out of the car?

Training and behavior topics, guidelines, and tips for Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Poison
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Poison »

Hi Everyone,

My little one is growing up so quickly and soon ill no longer be able to lift in him and out of the car.

So what car do you have and how do you get your chowdren in and out of the car?

Thanks
P
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Getting chows in/out of the car?

Post by Loha'sDad »

My 4 1/2 year old boy Loha went right from being placed in my vehicles as a puppy to leaping in when he got big enough. He even leaps directly up to the seat from the ground when getting in my fullsize truck. The boy's got hops :P

Loha's Dad
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I have a suv and both Oneill and Nikki just leaped right in an out as soon as the door opened ..Later on Oneill had some problems so we used a ramp we made and she walked right up. The lead was then attached to the seatbelt or put in the door as we shut it . Both of our dogs never moved around much only when the car stopped for a long time to see why we stopped going..
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

All of my pups went straight from being lifted in and out of the SUV(s) to jumping in and out.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

When Ty was a puppy, I found that putting up one of my seats (My car seats can fold up to allow for vertical space) enabled him to get into the car easier since it wasn't as high as the floor of the car, plus the seat. Then if he wanted to sit on the seat that was still down he could. Mostly he'd just lay on the floor. Now he can do either because he's big enough. One of these days I may get the bars to put across the back of the trunk area and he can just lay there, but there's not much space in the back so we'll see.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Our Kimba would jump into the foot area of our Dodge 1500, then jump on the seat and over the center console to the back seat. Or, she would jump to the footwell of the back seat, then jump to the back seat. As she got older (her 13th year) she would still do this but lacked the strength to get her hinds all the way up. Funny, she would just wait right there till we noticed she wasn't in yet and then lend her a hand to finish her jump. Patient girl.

Leo and Max are waaaaay too small right now to accomplish this, however we have started training them "Wamt to go for a ride" with jingle keys. Then, when we get to the truck, we have them sit at the passenger door, then lift them to foot well, then seat, then console. Good practice. Leo, our high-strung boy, has already attempted to jump down which is scarry because that's pretty high. Fortunately, Joe caught him mid-air so he wouldn't damage any limbs.

I think most dogs, if taught the proper procedure, can learn to get into any vehicle. It's another one of them training us and use training them kinda thing. :D
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have a '97 Aerostar, and have removed the rear seats. The sliding side door has a foot well that is fairly low, so my two just climb in that door, them move to the front. Malachi will take the passenger seat and Ursa likes to be on the floor in the center and see if she can crawl up into the A/C vent :) If I take them out in the truck, '93 F250, I usually put their front paws on the floor of the cab and grab their rear feet to help them in. When I get to our destination, I tell them to "WAIT", while I gather up their leads, then they can scramble out.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Good timing for this topic for me as well. Rory just hit 30 lbs. I can lift him fine, although he is not thrilled with it. Wife and daughter find him a tad heavy. Rory is still on the shorter side of things though and hasnt figured out more than one stair. Need to come up with a plan to get over. I think if he can figure this out, the car will take care of itself.
Thomas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thomas »

Teddie hops right in. No preparation, just strolls up and "boing" she's in the back seat. Like she has springs in her rear legs. We have a Subaru Forrester and a Volvo XC70. Not quite SUVs and not quite station wagons.
Kaysa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kaysa »

I have an old Toyota and everytime I open the door Muñeco jumps in
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I drive a BMW and Ming just jumps right in and plops himself down on the other bucket seat, but Tempest needs to be lifted in. Then, by the time I get around to the driver's side, Ming's hopped over to my seat and I have to push him back to the other seat with his sister. So, there are two chows in one bucket seat. Our vet thinks it's hysterical, but he's not had to ride with them that way!! Getting out is easy, they both just hop out, Ming quickly and Tempest very daintily...
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

my chowlie doesnt like car rides. She gets car sick so she normally doesnt like to get in - even if the destination is somewhere really fun for her :>
I have to pick her up all the time. Make sure you use the correct doggie method. Scoop your pup up using your arms as a cradle. Your arms must go over her chest (round the front) and under her bottom. Use this method to "scoop" puppy up.
Its the best way to carry a big dog as you dont put any pressure on internal organs or bones.
GOOD LUCK! hopefully your poochie will start to jump into the car like everyone elses... ;)
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Miss V, sorry to hear your chow doesn't do well in the car. My two do well, which is good since for a while I would drive for 10 hours with them and two cats. I did work at getting every one used to the van by first just getting in and out, then sitting in it while the engine ran. Later we would take short trips around town.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

We change cars as often as some people change socks :lol: When Henry started getting to heavy to lift we had a Expedition. I taught him to put his front paws on the rear bumper - actually he usually waits for ME to put his paws on the bumper( I say feet up!) and then tuck his tail between his back legs covering his poop shoot and boost him in. He even did this with the PT Cruiser that followed.

Henry getting in the Spitfire was easy, but he has to go in through the drivers door or he doesn't seem to fit. Henry getting in the BMW is a little ungainly as it is a three door, he manages OK though.

He can get into a truck, with the King Ranch we have OH does lift him in to try to protect the leather on the easily scratchable seats. Henry LOVES the King Ranch, the window ledge is chin restable height and if looking out the window gets boring then the centre console is head resting height, he looks so comfy whichever way he looks.
Thank you Sweatpea
Clovers_Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Clovers_Mom »

It is sometimes a struggle to get clover into the car. She is 4M now, and well getting a bit heavy to pick up and get in the back seat of of Mini (its the 3 door, tad bit bigger than reg). I found if I move my seat up and show her that she has to jump up to the backseat floot/seat etc... she is slowly getting the hang of it... however she is just not really thrilled about going for car rides, so the learning curve is probaly best chaulk up to not wanting to do it.... ;-) I look forward to everyone else's replies and feedback as well!